Heating hot tub

Started by Clyde9, November 10, 2008, 11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 8/23/2006 8:03 AM

building at moment a two person hottub to take along with me on next outing at talladega .will need to run onan 5000 to power the pump. im going to try a heat exchanger attached inline with the exhaust to bring 275 gallons of water to a little over 104 degrees F.the exchanger is 14 inches long..2.5 dia..3/4 water port..1.5 exhaust flow..16 3/8 inch stainless tube core...will leave permanet attached in line of exhaust ahead of muffler..1/2 quick dissconnect on water ports attached to siamese 1/2 inch hose will bring water to tub.. have pump mounted on side of generator compartment in its on pump and hose compartment.don't know if any of this will work but the gen exhaust is quiter

Sent: 8/24/2006 9:29 AM

Maybe another way would be to set it up like a Motor-Aid water heater and use coolant to heat the water.   Rick

Sent: 8/24/2006 11:31 AM

can't go that route.. the onan is air cooled ..cant afford to keep the 440 running to use the heat

Sent: 8/24/2006 1:24 PM

I'm just wondering if the exhaust on the genset will generate enough heat.  Once it is operating and the water is flowing through the exchanger, will there continue to be enough heat generated?  Another possibility is an on-demand propane water heater.  The problem there may be you couldn't carry enough propane to heat the water. How about you fill the hot tub and heat the water while you drive LOL.  Rick

Sent: 8/24/2006 7:57 PM

An on demand water heater would work but not propane, if you are using a 5k genny than that would be enough to use a electric on demand heater....but you would not be abele to run much more while the heater was in operation........If you heat the water initially with the water heater, and then your idea using the genny's exaust may keep it hot enough.....

I just love people who go to Talladega...The think of all kinds of great things to do............gunna miss it this year....but next year...         "I'll be there"

T