Will "Newer" onan 5500 fit in a 73 Brave generator bay?

Started by Thenoob, March 29, 2017, 09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Heading out to go see a newer onan Cmm 5500 today.  I have a dodge d19 1973 empty gen bay.

Will the newer body style fit into our bays ok? Any issue to be concerned about?  I'm headed to go do measurements just curious if anybody's ran into any headaches trying to do this. Or even hooking them up? Thanks!!

Rickf1985

Hooking it up is just a matter of electrical wiring so that would be the easy part. As far as whether it will fit, A tape measure will tell the tale but the one major thing to watch for is how the exhaust is going to exit the bay. Make sure you are going to be able to accommodate that.

Thenoob

Yup that was my major concern,
Measuring is no problem it's overall clearance positioning etc.  These newer styles don't come with an exhaust correct?

Is there a rule for bay clearance for these things so they don't sit too tight to breathe?

Rickf1985

Generally I would think common sense would do here. You are going to need enough room around the unit for some airflow. There is going to be an air intake and outflow on the genset for the cooling, you will need to accommodate those opening on the set with openings in the compartment. Mostly the outflow will have to have direct access to the outside. If the inlet airflow is on the side of the unit then you will have to have enough louvers in the door to let in air. Most of the more modern units are much smaller than the older ones so you probably will have plenty of room if this was set up for an older generator. And as far as whether it has exhaust? I has to have exhaust, if it is included I don't know but if it isn't keep in mind it can be pricey.

Rickf1985

Now I said louvers in the door for air inlet, On mine the whole bottom area is opened up so air can come in all around the try to supply the inlet which is on the generator side and between the generator and engine. It blows out the bottom through a wide open hole and a grate to keep larger critters out. On mine I have enough space to get my arm around the set. Not a lot but enough for some air circulation.

Thenoob

Gotcha
Yup mine has the Louvre swing door.

Thank you for the insight, if she fits good, I'm hoping the genset is in good condition.

It was a former internet company's backup mobile power, told not used a lot, but (Telus) had it maintained regularly

Time will tell!

Thenoob

What I meant by exhaust, I have a Honda 3000is for my food trucks, and it just vents out through top louvres, no piping.  Piping is what I meant, ie having to route it under the coach etc.

Rickf1985

Found this online, looks like muffler is enclosed. Thing that bothers me is that it is fuel injected which means factory service only unless you have some way to access the computer.

http://westgenerator.com/index.cfm/linkservid/CA669C91-5056-B35E-2C2F25D1C28E7EEE/showMeta/0/

Rickf1985

Read down at the bottom of those specs and it says "
Will not copy and paste, It needs a chassis specific fuel system for the efi.

+EFI Gensets require a chassis-specific fuel system kit. See F-1106, Onan Commecial Mobile Accessories and Service Support Catalog."

M & J

M & J

Thenoob

Well I rolled the dice for 100 bucks
Former service generator for Telus Communications
Dropped it off for a full inspection. And cleanup
Hoping for good news.

Pics

stanDman111

nice genny, wish I could find one for 100.00=great deal

Rickf1985

Well, for 100 bucks you cannot go wrong if it runs. I see it is, or was, a leaker. Looks like the oil pressure safety switch was leaking but it also looks like that may be a newer one. It does not look like it was particularly well maintained though. But 100 bucks for a mobile genny is outrageous, as long as it runs and powers.

Thenoob

I'll find out on tues what the deal is
I agree That it wasn't maintained well, but if she will turn over and produce power, a solid service on the rig (plug/oil/valves/filters) should do pretty well?

I'm hopeful for a 80% diagnosis??!?
Was even able to pull the interior start switch.
Found out it's not efi, it's carbourated which is good as well.

I'll update the thread with the results

Thenoob

KInd of lame that I will have to cut holes in the gen bay to compensate for the oil fitler as she hangs down an inch or so beneath the bottom frame, plus the oil drainage

stanDman111

well for a 100.00/ I guess a couple extra of holes in the genny bay ant to bad

Rickf1985

Build a slide out tray and raise it up enough to clear the low hanging parts.

stanDman111

Rickf1985

Quote from: Thenoob on March 29, 2017, 09:10 PM

Found out it's not efi, it's carbourated which is good as well.

I'll update the thread with the results

I looked through the manual and that model does not come with a carburetor, I think you are looking at the throttle body and thinking it is a carburetor maybe?

bluebird

Naw, that's a carburetor. You can see the electric choke and fuel cut off solenoid in the bottom of the main jet also altitude compensator. If it runs he stole it.

Rickf1985

Here is what the manual says, and it goes for all of the models. Maybe someone modified it for a carb?

Commercial
GenSet

•
First EFI (Electronic Fuel Injection) GenSet in its Class
•
EFI Provides Improved Hot and Cold Start Capability
•
Integrated Hydraulic Pump Option (pictured)
•
Quietest and Lowest Vibration GenSet in Its C
lass
•
Integrated Housing Design
•
Enclosed Muffler for Ease of Installation
•
Self-Diagnostic Capability to
Simplify Troubleshooting
•
Runs Two ACs
•
Digital Regulation for Voltage Stability as Loads Change
•
Electronic Governor for Voltage Stability and Frequency
Control
•
2-Year Limited Warranty,
5-Year Drive Warranty

DaveVA78Chieftain

From the Onan 983-0501D Service manaual, you have the:

Sequential Multiport Fuel Injection (SMFI) 5.5KW HGJAD model

and the

Cabureted 5.5KW HGJAE model

There are several different variations of the HGJxx series generator:

5.5KW or 7.0KW
EFI (SFI) and Carburetor
Gas and LPG

ANY TIME you deal with Onan Generators you have to know the exact model and serial number in order to discuss them properly.  There are literately hundreds of different model variations.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Interesting, The manual I found made no mention at all of the AE series as you can see from the link I posted. It only mentions the AD models.

As usual, Dave gets me again. Someday Dave, Someday you will slip going into turn four. :D :D :D

Rickf1985

I noticed an interesting fact about that set in the manual Dave posted. The operating RPM is 2400 RPM. Most sets are 1800 or 3600 and that is to set the frequency at 60 Hz. This must be a strange stator arrangement in the genset? I have an idea what it is but I will wait till someone with more internal generator knowledge chimes in. Think multiple of 4.

DaveVA78Chieftain

According to the Service manual:
The 5500KW V-Twin runs at 2400 RPM and the generator section is geared to 3600 RPM
The 7000KW V-Twin runs at 2880 RPM and the generator section is geared to 3600 RPM

The Generator portion is belt driven for both models.
[move][/move]