73 Travco- where/how to hook up shore electrical power?

Started by DivinylRecords, March 27, 2017, 09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DivinylRecords

I am on  a property where the landlord gave me an extension chord to hook up to get full power but all  i find on the outside it a 12V that you would plug into, i am a newb have owned this travco since january replaced carb, plugwires,distributor cap, starter, and cant seem to get it running correctly also has a new battery, but there is a a huge delco deep cycle battery i dont even know if is hooked up under the stairs when you walk in.  anyways we;d like to have some power when we are here for 5 more days doing work on the interior and i cant find where to plug in..?? please help thank you :-[

M & J

Does it have a generator? If so, theremay be a shore power plug located in that compartment.
M & J

HandyDan

I have never owned a Travco, but I have looked at a few.  There should be a door on the lower driver's side near the rear bumper.  Inside that door should be a converter and a place to plug in the generator cord.  If it is like many of that age, there is a large outlet plug where you plug in the shore power cord if you want to run on the generator.  If you want to run on shorepower you unplug the cord and then plug into the outside source.  If your's isn't set up that way, then you will have to find other help.   If you are going to plug into a normal household extension cord you will probably need an adapter.  You can get an adapter at Walmart.
Dan
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DRMousseau

Sorry if this seems jus a bit simplistic,.... but I'm not certain "HOW NEW" you may be to RVs in general, and of course there are others who may be VERY new, and will appreciate this if they stumble upon this post for help.

NOW,... wish I could remember jus WHERE I had seen a Travco specifically and jus exactly how it may have been set up. Since it IS a Travco, I could pretty much assume it was a bit nicer than many RVs.

SO,.... you can pretty much look in every suspected bunk, hoping to find a short coil of large HEAVY gauge probably black cable as big as your thumb or maybe bigger, Probably 10-15' or so in length. And check each end of that cable, looking for a VERY large heavy duty "plug" on one end, that plugged into a very heavy duty "outlet". I might assume it was a 50A setup with a heavy 4-blade plug. BUT,... it may be jus a 30A system with a 3-blade plug. (get a pic of that plug for us and we can guide ya easily to exactly what you may have here.)

Now you may see a heavy cable in the Genny compartment,.... and it MIGHT be short, coming from the behind the gen set and go into a metal box with no plug. This isn't it,... lol. This is a Travco, and I'm bettin' you DO have a nice "shore line", so keep lookin for that loose coil of heavy black cable. HandyDan noted a small compartment that held the converter/charger,... a heavy cable of length could be tucked in there without noticing that it 10-15' long. The "apparently" short cable would probably be plugged into an outlet above. Mine is in my "utility" bunk,... where my waste tank valves, waste hoses and other utility items are stored. It's coiled up and plugged into an outlet at the TOP of this compartment to keep it dry.

WHEN YOU FIND THAT CABLE,.... you "should" be able to plug that that big plug into an adapter from your local hardware to connect to a typical extension cordset. Use a good cordset,... a heavy one,... and keep it as short as possiable. You'll be limited with standard 120V 20A supply, but it will charge your batteries and give what power you need short of AC,... jus won't work AC. And DO NOT mistake that heavy cord plug for a 220V system. Look carefully, and you'll see tiny rating numbers on it,.... 30A (or 50A if four blade) @120V,... and is for connecting "straight to the post" at campgrounds.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

hawkaleuge

My 71 Travco has the shore power cord under the floor of the closet.  You can reach it via a little locked door rear drivers side.  My floor plan is a rear bunk and is a 270.  Under the floor on mine there is a big 4 prong plug that you plug into with the shore power cord to get generator power.  I switched all this out and hooked up a power transfer switch.

DivinylRecords

its a bit late reading this but thank you, an electrician friend of mine ended up doing it for me, although it doesnt seem correct, i found the converter in a wall between the generator and closet that has the fusebox for the 120AC system.  Should i still be looking for this "off shore" plug, because the converter plugs into a wall outlet and the first time i just plugged the chord from the converter directly to the house power and it worked fine, but since i have lost all power to my clearance lights and accugage.

DaveVA78Chieftain

While I have a copy of my drawings on my hard drive however, trying to rehost/remap all the stuff on Photobucket is a nightmare.
[move][/move]

DivinylRecords

dave could you possibly email me a google drive link to them...

DaveVA78Chieftain

For TRAVCO, a lot of the information I have came from the TRAVCO forum.   From 2003, I had stored a lot my stuff on Photbucket but they changed their policies a few months ago so all you see now is

I am not paying $300 a year to store linkable photos.
[move][/move]

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on September 02, 2017, 12:03 PM
For TRAVCO, a lot of the information I have came from the TRAVCO forum.   From 2003, I had stored a lot my stuff on Photbucket but they changed their policies a few months ago so all you see now is

I am not paying $300 a year to store linkable photos.
I see an old fashioned master cylinder?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Yep if you have some form of workaround for the Photobucket crap.
[move][/move]

Rickf1985

Just go to Chrome and install the photobucket imbed fix, done. You don't have to do anything else after that. Any time you go to a page with pics they pop right up. I used Firefox for years because it was much faster than IE. Then I realized that anymore it drags the computer down the most of any of the browsers so I went to Chrome.

Admin edit:  Here's the link:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg?hl=en