318 stalling/sputtering on gas pedal acceleration

Started by Thenoob, March 27, 2017, 04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

Hey everyone

Went for a rip today, got my kingpins looked at were all good there.  But, an issue came up.

When I accelerate, esp from a stop I have to very very slowly apply gas and accelerate.  If I normally press the pedal for normal acceleration, there is a dead point where it just drops out.  Once it straight stalled on me starting from a light. What gives? And where should I start, I'm guessing it's one of a few possibilities

318, 73 dodge d19.  Fuel related? Carb? Timing?

stanDman111

Rickf1985

Time for a carb rebuild, the accelerator pump has crapped out but check to be sure the linkage has not fallen off the accelerator pump since they do not usually just flat out quit like that. I have seen it happen though.

Thenoob

I've got a stock carb on there
Do you guys recommend something more new?

I've read about a few options, what have you guys done?
I was going to change the fuel filter and go check that out in the meantime.
But I would agree about the carb, if it's stock she's due?

stanDman111

Thenoob

Pros/cons of sticking with an original 2bbl rebuild or a say 4bbl? What do you guys recommend for these 318's?

stanDman111

I would up grade to a edelbrock intake & carb set up, but keep the cfm of the carb down, my opinion

Rickf1985

Agreed, I you are willing to spend the money go with the Edelbrock Performer intake and carb but go with the 500 CFM carb. You will never use 600 CFM and this will give you better response and bottom end. If you do not need to go through emissions testing then go for the non EGR manifold if it is available for your engine.

Thenoob

stanDman111

not necessarily, should be able to be procured for less

Rickf1985

Thenoob

Will do

But the exchange rate is a killer!
Thanks for all this input I really appreciate it!!

legomybago

Quote from: Thenoob on March 28, 2017, 09:28 PM
Will do

But the exchange rate is a killer!
Thanks for all this input I really appreciate it!!
I would just fix what you already have. The 318's were doomed for that application from the beginning. Good little motor, run the pi$$ out of it.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Thenoob

Ya I'm not building a rat rod or anything, a little more "acknowledgment" off the line would be great but I would settle for consistency.

stanDman111

you could always go used  on the intake & carb
plenty on kijij.ca, up side, you will have a little  more steam for climbing them hills. 318s are a little short on power