Sprite Caravan

Started by LJ-TJ, March 22, 2017, 08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Anybody have any information or know were to get information on Sprite Caravans. Apparently they were built in the States for about two years in the 70's. I think around 1973 and 1974

LJ-TJ

If you guys though use Classic Winnebago guys were nuts before this just confirms it. 1974 Sprite Alpine C built in Nappanee Indiana. Just pulled it out of the bush this morning. Looking like a complete gut and restoration. D:oH!

stanDman111

M & J

I cant keep my eyes from the pink siding TJ.
M & J

stanDman111

pink barn board, got to like it

LJ-TJ

Well the one thing about having a Pink Barn is everybody in town when giving directions says go to the Pink Barn and turn left, right or go straight through. :)rotflmao Though a few of you might get a kick out of these. Just found them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Rickf1985

Considering I have owned, raced, restored or put engines in over a hundred beetles I think I know them quite well and I have to ask, Where in the world do you bolt a hitch with enough strength to pull a trailer?!!!! W% W% i?? i??

Oh, and pink siding! W% ??? ??? N:( N:( N:( N:( N:(

Oz

the roof.  Remember the video with the 360 degree turning ability?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

Yea, I remember that one. I saw one of those at a camping show in the 60's. It wasn't moving though. Plenty of strength in a bug roof, the window posts are curled in from four sides. I have rolled several of them and never bent a window post! They must have reinforced the roof though since that was just sheet metal.

Here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpwH9WeVEfU

M & J

Cant tell if its a super or not. If it is, the bumper shock mounts are solid
M & J

LJ-TJ

Thought you might like this. Hey Rick there really light. Gross Weight is 2,300 lbs. They were designed to be pulled my and MG. They got quite a history. I'm going to start a restore this old girl. Information on Sprite Caravans is extremely hard to find. I haven't asked Mark if he wants to set a side a spot for post and restoration info on these of not. Hm?

LJ-TJ

tmsnyder

My vintage camper isn't quite that light, it's 3200lb.   It's a 1959 Holley Mascot, 16', all birchwood inside, no particle board!  Tows nice behind my 56 chevy.

LJ-TJ

Sweet! Seems up here in Canada the latest fad is to pull these old 50's 60's trailers out of the bush and restore them or go rat rod with them. In my case we have a 4 cylinder Suzuki. We don't take the 75 Winnebago out after the Canadian Thanks Giving and we still like to go camping for a few months after. So we went on the hunt for a trailer light enough that the Suzuki could pull without pulling the guts out of her. We came up with two. The Sprite Caravan and the Thomson Caravan. The Sprite was manufactured  buy Sprite Manufactureing Co. Inc. in Nappanee, Indiana as a Sprite Alpine C in 1974 with a gross trailer Weight of 2300 lbs. There just doesn't seem to be a hole lot of information on her. Classic Winnebago's and RV's has been a great resource for us old Classic Winnebago guys and I'm kind of hoping some of you out there might have some leads on a few of these old girls. Nice combination you have there. :)ThmbUp

LJ-TJ

M & J

That is only a few miles from me TJ. But I have a lifetime of projects already.
M & J

Rickf1985

Quote from: M & J on March 26, 2017, 08:45 PM
Cant tell if its a super or not. If it is, the bumper shock mounts are solid

Flat windshield and no bumper shocks. If it is a super it would have to be a 71. Does have the later style bumper so has to be close.

DRMousseau

I'd luv to see the hitch setup on that little gold bug!
Tire clearance says it's quite a load for it.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

M & J

I Googled it. A surprising number of hitch options for a Beetle. 100-200 pound tongue weight and 2500 lb draw weight were common.
Staying with the thread, I wonder what the weight of those little campers are?
M & J

LJ-TJ

$@!#@! No I don't know what I'm doing BUT if you type in the address below and then click on the 1977 thing a ma bob a PDF comes up with a lot of specs on it on the Sprite Caravan Hm? D:oH! https://www.google.com/#q=1974+sprite+Alpine+caravan+specification&*
1977 CI Brochurehttps://ncbbrochures.s3.amazonaws.com/mainbrochures/1977_CI_Brochure.pdfOptlonal Bunk NO Gross laden Weight lng. 560. Hßdy lßñglll ... Sprite Alpine for its combination of size, style and ... Sprite 400 becoming the first caravan to be towed at over 100 ... Prior to production, sealing of the new Sprite Alpine gets the ...

Rickf1985

Interesting info, I guess I was not there the year they ran that at the Baja race. I am guessing yours does not look quite that good inside? They brag about how waterproof they are, was yours waterproof?

stanDman111

it would have been if it was stored in a pink barn  for most of its life

Elandan2

Hey TJ, where's the pictures of the inside? You of all people know we love pictures.  :)rotflmao
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Quote from: stanDman on March 29, 2017, 08:55 AM
it would have been if it was stored in a pink barn  for most of its life

I am not EVEN going there!

LJ-TJ

I'll go out and get more pic's today. She's pretty punky inside. It's going to be a scary project. Wish I lived in Indiana home of trailer builders. I'd like to hunt up the proper front and rear window for it. I'm thinking it's going to be a slow project because parts are hard to find. Everything is rusted up as it sat in the bush neglected for twenty years. I had to tie it to the hitch as I couldn't get it to lock down to bring it home. There becoming really popular in the compact car community because there so light and easy to pull. Well see. Hm?