73 D18 roof replacement

Started by demon, March 16, 2017, 08:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demon

Well started pulling the roof off my Winni and figured I would post some pics of what I did. I looked at the few others that have done this and posted pics and pretty much will do it similar. One thing i dont want is a big curve to the roof. I will give it some curve but maybe closer to 1 inch higher in the middle. I want it to look the way it did. I am hoping to find a place that i can get rolled sheet aluminum to skin the roof when its done. I read someone said they did that but still havent found a place to get it local . I build custom cars and trucks...mainly fabricating so this will end up being a show/ camper/ tow rig .

demon

borrowed my cousins tent to park it under while i replace the roof

demon

brians1969

By the late 80's Winnebago had started curving the roof, for good reason. It's not just stronger, but it works to shed water or other particles the sky likes to deposit. If it starts to sag a little over the years, it still won't puddle water.

TerryH

Many metal suppliers carry or can access rolled aluminum sheet stock, particularly those that deal in non ferrous metals. Companies that service or build cargo trailers or transport trailers should be able to steer you to one in your area.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Yeah! I was going to suggest check out the chaps that build of repair transport trailers.

demon

yes when I read about the aluminum thats where they said to check but just havent checked for a place around me yet. I also have a 1995 Winnebago Brave and it has a curved roof so i totally understand why curved is better .Its purely cosmetic to me and I realize im just being anal but i really dont want it to look curved...especially from the front . Ill put some curve but not enough to notice. I hope! finished pulling the rest of the roof off tonight! have 2 spots that i need to repair on the walls, one up on the driverside where the bed frame attaches and on the rear wall on the pass side.... theres 3/4 inch plywood in these spots but its rotted. ill do that first

stanDman111

LJ-TJ

WOW! the progress is looking fantastic. I don't think your being anal I could agree with you more. A small arch will work just fine. :)ThmbUp

CapnDirk

Demon:

What part of the country are you in?

1/2 to 1" should work, as you said the idea is just run off.   The problem with the flat roof was that with time there would be a bit of sag, and then you have a permanent  water problem even if it's not raining (read, a puddle(s).  I think someone here that did theirs reduced the arc amount on the last one or two trusses to transition to flat.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

demon

thanks! Im having fun! I live in Crystal River Fl.

Pulled the bed down up front today so i could get to that bad wall on the driver side. Pulled off everything over there that was in the way .even the piece up front with the sliding doors. I need some sorta scraper to get the wood off the foam in the wall but pulled the real loose stuff off. Crazy how the foam is perfect even though the wood is trashed!

demon

had a question for anybody that has one of these. Up front where the bed is there are 2 metal tabs on each side bolted to the piece of angle. if you flip them out and lower the bed it keeps it from coming down but is real tight to sleep up there. is this something someone dod for some odd reason or? the steel angle that runs from the roll br to the front is original right?

LJ-TJ

Somebody has added those I suspect to as a safety feature  keep the bed from coming down on there head when their driving. If you turn them in the bed should come down pass the angle iron to make for lots of room to sleep. I just acquired an manned model battleship from the Park Ranger in Crystal River. Right next to the nuclear plant.

DRMousseau

Yup, those were added alright. But instead of safety as LJ-TJ noted, I'd suspect it was added to limit the lower drop to facilitate a secure storage area here when under way. A place to stash those extras that are always in the way. I kinda like this idea, and it looks like it'd work quite well, since the bunk could still be fully dropped when needed for roomy sleep accommodations.

Of course safety MAY have been primary here,.... those retaining straps were never too dependable.

Betting you too will be seeking seals for those vent windows. I hate when that happens.

Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

CapnDirk

Demon:

You are way at the other end of the country from me.   Your best suggestions and mine are to find a semi trailer repair or manufacturing place.  Also the places that make box trucks (delivery cargo trucks where they make the box and mount on a chassis) would have a roll.

A google search says there is a Utility (utility meaning the brand) trailer place in central Florida as well as 8-10 more possibilities.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

CapnDirk

P.S.

Must be nice being able to work outside  :)clap

demon

Quote from: CapnDirk on March 19, 2017, 10:52 AM
P.S.

Must be nice being able to work outside  :)clap 

Pretty soon it will be 105 degrees out so I need to hurry!

demon

peeling the plywood off the foam without messing the foam up is tedious! where its rotted not so much but where its good is taking some time. Oh well! My dad cm by with a chisel and hammer and told me to take the plywood off in layers. Thats working good!

demon

Scraping away! one section of foam cleaned off

stanDman111

been there done that, nasty  tedious  job, keep up the good work, but it will be finished one day

demon

any ideas on what kinda glue to use to glue the plywood back into the styrofoam ? my dad suggested contact cement but i think it might dissolve the foam

LJ-TJ

My vote is PL Premium  Hm?

stanDman111

it will & does dissolve the foam, don't go there

Gearhead88

Another vote for PL premium

demon

Just trying to think how I would spread a nice even coat across the whole piece. I want glue everywhere. I'm afraid it wouldn't be thin enough?