Will Stock fuse panel handle an additional small air conditioner?

Started by Thenoob, March 10, 2017, 11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

As I get ready to reframe my roof, I'm thinking about adding a small ac unit.  Mine a d19 dodge 1973.

My question. Is before I go look at my panel, is can the stock panel handle an ac install? Or would I have to upgrade all the components?  I don't need a large unit, small because it's such a small area.

Thanks in advance for any info!

LJ-TJ

Hate to say it. Making me sound like a broken record. Pictures would be nice. Let us see what you got to work with. Hm?

LJ-TJ

I wouldn't think you'd have any problem installing a roof air unit. Your electrics look standard to all the other units. You may even find that your rig is all ready wired for roof air when you start redoing your roof. Do you have a roof vent? A lot of the times the factory runs the wiring for a roof air conditioning unit right up to were your roof vent is. When you redo your roof put extra support around were your roof vent is in order to carry the extra weight of your air conditioner. That's the week spot in all the Winnies roofs. Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

The two 30 amp breakers in the top section are for shore power input
The two 30 amp breakers in the bottom section are for the generator input
The 2 top 30 amp breakers are paired and the 2 bottom 30 amp breakers are paired.  The top and bottom pairs are then ganged together such that only one pair (top or bottom) can be ON at the same time.  Either top 2 ON (shore power), or Bottom 2 ON (generator).

You can have up to 3 20 amp 110VAC distribution breakers in the top section.  Currently you have 1 20 amp and 2 blank sections in the top section.  You can install another 20 amp breaker in one of the blank positions to support an AC.
It is common to have a 20 amp AC circuit on a 30 amp system.

The 1973 Chieftain Owners Manual describes the operation ------------------->>>>>>>--------------------------->>>>

How big (KW) of a Generator do you have?
[move][/move]

Thenoob

Thanks Dave

I was actually just reading up on that in my manual.
I'm tearing off the old roof and going to reframe arched trusses and a new rubber roof.  Long overdue.

I have 1 fantastic fan in the bathroom and one plain bent almost mid cabin that's it. I was thinking about doubling up the trusses there for the future if I wanted to add ac, or frame another vent, put a temp bent in there and if I decide to do it, I can go for it.

Good idea?

Thenoob

I actually don't have a genset in there as of yet.  I was looking at an older style onan .

I run hondas on my catering trucks and they are great....but big.  They new onan's are pretty small.  There def used to be a genset in there and the wiring is in the gen box.  I would gauge most likely for a 4000 or 5000 possibly.  I'd need to load test or spec sheet a small unit.

My moho is small so I don't need anything huge.

LJ-TJ

The ceiling vent mid way in the motor home is where the air conditioner goes. Fits perfect and yes when your re doing the roof double up on the rafters there. You should be able to pic up 4,000 Watt  Onan generator for around $100.00 to $400.00 bucks and it will fit perfectly in the gen bay.

Thenoob

Thank you for that sir!
I don't mind those older onan's they are not "that" loud

LJ-TJ

Rickf1985

Prices have really dropped on the older Onans since they are so hard to find parts for anymore.

Thenoob

You know what's funny
I looked at all of those this morning lol.

There is always a way for parts!  Kicker is to maintain your genny! It be nice if Honda released a version of the IS series designed for enclosures...