Tires: 750/17 or ???

Started by duramax, March 09, 2017, 05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duramax

I am conversing with a seller who has a D22 Indian 1972. It has 750/17 with the so called split rim(not). Tires are new but 20 years old. What do owners do:  I don't like the idea of running bias ply. This is a short wheelbase and bias plies don't help the handling. I see where you can buy a few brands of Bias ply and they are cheap. I might be able to get the Michelin's here in Mexico. Maybe even a Chinese radial. Is it worth spending the $$. How do other owners find the handling with bias ply? Almost a deal breaker for me.

stanDman111

new tires are a must / 20 year old rubber isn't a good thing
radials are the way to go

Rickf1985

You say it has split rims but add a (not)? Does that mean it does not have them? I have always been leery of running radials on spits since they were never designed for them and radials put a lot more motion on the beads. There is nothing wrong with Bias tires other than the morning thump as they wake up and get round again. I ran them for years on 4X4's

duramax

They are not really a true split rim. Just a rim with a lock ring. But still not easy to get service. Tires on a 4x4 and a motorhome are 2 different breeds. I had a Winnie  about 30 years ago. It was a 68  18 ft.with those same rims. I did install radials on the front and new bias on the rear. BUT it was such a short wheelbase. It was ill handling.

DRMousseau

Quote from: duramax on March 09, 2017, 08:08 PM
They are not really a true split rim. Just a rim with a lock ring. But still not easy to get service. Tires on a 4x4 and a motorhome are 2 different breeds. I had a Winnie  about 30 years ago. It was a 68  18 ft.with those same rims. I did install radials on the front and new bias on the rear. BUT it was such a short wheelbase. It was ill handling.

I kinda liked split rings,... the only rim I could actually install my own tires on, in the drive or backyard. But I certainly wouldn't suggest them to ANYONE in ANY WAY, without considerable experience in their use!!! And as Rick noted,... these rims were NOT intended for radials! (and I do remember that "morning thump"!)

And a mixed set of bias in the rear and radials on the front?!? W% Even a long wheel base would experience "ill handling".

I remember as many do, when radials were introduced to us in the late 60s,.... they were squirrely, caused a lot of roll and "dip" in heavy cars of the era, and were jus down right scary in most applications, especially pick-ups. MOST being key here,... early 70's saw Ford produce the first big cars actually designed and equipped with radials. And they served rather well in small lighter cars of the day, and mostly light sporty imports. They actually ran cooler than tubeless bias plys, some saw an increase of fuel mileage. And you certainly couldn't complain of their ride comfort! For many of us, it was jus a matter getting use to something that was much different than what had been "standard". There was no denying that they weren't ALWAYS suitable for everything!

Radials are also quieter,... especially when turning or cornering. I actually hate this today!!! Ya see,... bias plys would lift a bit, lose traction, and squeal around those turns. That's how ya knew you pushin' the limits of your tires and tended to slow down a bit before ya totally lost it!! With radials maintaining a greater contact with turning forces, excessive cornering speeds have become common in drivers today,.. causing excessive shoulder wear and a dangerous reliance on their increased traction,.... that will suddenly slip from beneath you with little warning of audible "squeeling"! By the time you hear it,... it's too late!!! Bias plys tend to last longer,... mostly because we tend to drive slower and more carefully with hard stiff tires beneath us! But today, radials have become the "standard" ,... and I'll never be able to convince my daughters, son-in-laws, or grandchildren to "SLOW DOWN!" Your tires will last longer and you'll be safer for it!!!

Radials weren't intended for use on heavy vehicles, trucks or trailers. Even today, bias tires are still used on trailers due to their weight carrying ability and resistance to swaying when towed. Radials will greatly alter handling on vehicles designed and tested with bias plys to minimize sway and roll, such as my John Deere chassis base. And I dare NOT to consider radial replacements!!! Heck,... it's a heavy TRUCK, not the family car!

Now I'm bettin' those who DO use radials on their RV, no doubt have slowed down a bit, jus to hang on to that roll!!! A worthwhile trade off perhaps, in exchange for ride comfort. And their radials last longer for that reason too!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

legomybago

Quote from: duramax on March 09, 2017, 08:08 PM
Never miss match bias and radials, it will steer goofy. I have the same set up your inquiring about. I run Tornel bias 7.50-17 on my lock ring wheels. Changed them all out myself like Dr mentioned. They handle great, and can be had for less than 200 a tire. Tubes are around 20, and new flaps around 15 bucks. I wouldn't let bias tires stop you from buying this rig. You can buy Tornels from Summit Racing or EBay and get FREE shipping to your door. Coker tire has the flaps. I found my tubes locally, make sure to get tubes with a brass valve stem.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

duramax

Thx for the replies! I will digest that information.

Rickf1985

Make absolutely sure the rings are in good shape and not rusted and the same with the rim. The ring and the groove in the rim have to lock cleanly or you could find yourself in two pieces on inflation. ALWAYS use a cage or in lieu of that wrap a chain around the rim and tire so if it blows the ring it is all contained.

roma

I have the split rimms with the bias ply tires.  I had to import the tyres because they are not for sale in Europe and there  are no other possi illitys.
I bought 6 new Tornells wich where around 120 dollar each wich is quiet cheap.
I drove now more then 7000 kilometers with it. The handling is good but what is very annoing is the wobbling when you start driving with them. It takes quiet a while before they are round and don t wobble anymore.
What is very important as well is the inflation , that must be exact right with your weight otherwise you will drive on a rock instead of a rubber tyre.

DRMousseau

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 10, 2017, 03:41 PM
Make absolutely sure the rings are in good shape and not rusted and the same with the rim. The ring and the groove in the rim have to lock cleanly or you could find yourself in two pieces on inflation. ALWAYS use a cage or in lieu of that wrap a chain around the rim and tire so if it blows the ring it is all contained.

Rick's warnings actually lack STRESS, SAFETY, IMPORTANCE, and CONSIDERABLE SPECIFIC DETAIL!!!! REALLY!!!!
Tell 'em Rick!! It's true!!! oh,... and the SAME ring goes on the SAME rim!!! Clean, dry, free of rust, scale, pitting, oils, grease,... oh my.

And sorry Rick,... I jus can't bring myself to suggest or direct others in the use of split-ring wheels,.... I WOULD RATHER attend to them myself, for another,... as a matter of my personal responsibility to another. But these things DO require considerable experience and attention to EVERY detail in their use! I even have a special "extention" hose, for simply topping off the tire pressure of the front wheels specifically (ring is exposed on outside of front wheels),... and is a good idea for use on all the tires. The "extension" allows me to safely air the tire up from a safe distance AWAY from the tire being serviced,... jus in case. Like batteries,... sooner or later, one may blow up!!! I've blown more than a few batteries, and "popped" a few tire rings,... but safe practices and attention to details have kept me from any harm! YOU may not be so lucky!

I HAVE found local truck places that WILL mount and service these rims,... but many won't, simply because they lack the safety needed. While they have "cages" for large truck tires,... those same cages aren't always suitable for the smaller, once common, RV rims. "Sorry, we can't do those here. Laws and safety regulations ya know."
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"