Examples of your interior updates? Paint/flooring/furniture?

Started by Thenoob, March 09, 2017, 10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

spring is here!
So the project continues! I would love love love to see your interior updates for ideas.

It's getting hard to look at all the fake wood paneling in the old 73 d19. Watching videos and reading about painting this stuff.  I also have a real cheap fake hardwood Floor and would like to start updating the interior tastefully. If youve tackled the 70's  pastel bathroom as well let me know!

Currently she is OG inside complete with flower prints!
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/bigruudz/AEC213EA-4344-4AAC-ACC8-3E8781A4688A-4488-00000442FD0A1CFF_zpsd68bea76.jpg

I'd like to go for a rustic type look keeping it somewhat old looking.

DRMousseau

Something important to bear in mind with "updates" and "remodeling". RV's of all kinds are very unique! The techniques and materials used in construction CAN NOT be compared with typical "home" materials or techniques that everyone is familiar with. The uniqueness is "similar" to that of mobile homes.

I have seen MANY such remodels look great,.... but with little consideration to the uniqueness necessary. I know a great many mobile homes that are now no longer "mobile",.... weighing two and three times or MORE than their original designed capacities and can no longer be moved or even shifted a tiny bit!!!! And I've seen RVs much worse,.... grossly overloaded and dangerously unbalanced for continued service as a "vehicle".

Pressure treated 2x4s are no substitute for fir and cedar 1x2s in such matters!!! The light-weight "cheap" constructions of RVs are designed with purpose,..... even a staple is far lighter than brad nail or screw, and it all adds up!!!! Sometimes, with disastrous results!!! Standards are established with long proven histories,.... alternatives should be considered VERY closely, as they are often not "standard" for good reason!!!

Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Thenoob

Oh of course
Just looking for design ideas, paint colours, flooring choices, the old wood paneling is getting hard to look at (and there is a lot of it!!)

BrandonMc

Today I'm priming and painting all my cabinet doors which are currently removed. I also plan to have the entire interior primed to be ready for painting. A trip is shortly approaching, so I'm working like this is a full time job... I'll go ahead and take some before and after shots.

I also removed all the old cornices (which btw are HEAVY) and replaced with my custom made very lightweight cornices. My Aunt helped me sew curtains. This is all going to look super nice. Just spent 120 on paint today.... jeeez!!!!   :'(

Thenoob

How are you prepping them and what kind of paint ?
I've heard of paint peeling off these fake wood walls/cabinets?

BrandonMc

I'm using killz white premium waterbased primer and sealer. Then I have the higher end satin behr paint, and am doing a two color white on black.

I'll sand down, or try to rough up any flaking fake wood paper, and anything else that needs it. Nothing too much more than a regular interior paint job. It should smell better in there too, as everything in it sat with a half loaded tank of human waste allowed to sit for years and evaporate. The entire RV reeked of the waste tank chemical and all that other stuff.

Thenoob

Do you have the old fake wood paneling in there?
Love to see pics before/after

Rickf1985

Now I know in that last picture you set that container on the sink to be geometrically perfect didn't you. Hm?

Thenoob

Ya I have a weird thing with lines
Always have since a kid.
Borderline obsession

Gearhead88

I went with a "retro" look , choosing to retain all  of the original  paneling . Not a fan of painting over stuff ,  it just looks weird and there's no going back if it looks cheesy afterwards.

Before
this is how it was when we got it , torn seat covers , dated looking and a  ripe smelly aroma.

After , sort of a retro backsplash , new cushions , curtains , flooring etc.

Bamboo counter top

Thenoob

Those look awesome
My table counter is so buggered , yours looks great!! What wood?

The kitchen counter looks awesome as well.. did you put on some shiny epoxy??

Gearhead88

The counter top was  found at Lowes , it's Bamboo , they usually have lots of them , I had to go through the stack to find one that wasn't beat up. I gave it a good sanding after cutting it into the size needed , cut an opening for the stove ,  faucet and sink . I used a light , amber stain to get some colour into the grain and then used a product called "Bar and Table top" finish , a two part epoxy . I got that at Lowes as well. It's self leveling , you are gonna make a mess and a guy has to plan for that , you mix it , pour it on , use a heat gun or hair dryer to help the process and bring air bubbles to the surface , then walk away . Do not touch it for 72 hours ! , it has to harden . I did mine in the garage , the counter top was on saw horses.  The piece that was cut out for the stove got used in the bathroom vanity , That one , I did the following year , it was finished with the same stain and multiple coats (20) of spray Varathane .

The tables are original , OSB ? with fake wood grain pattern Arborite ? , they look ok but after 30 years they need to be redone .

I want to redo both of the table tops , the dinette and the smaller table in the rear of the coach.  I'm hoping to find a suitably sized piece of bamboo for the dinette and lounge table.

Here's the bathroom , pic taken while I was in the middle of reno's

Brave Sole

I have a 76 Winnebago, with the typical green interior, shag carpet, and the old wooden drawers that leave sawdust each time you use them.
Something had to be done!  The fridge worked on AC only, and we never used the oven, microwave or AC. We camp with no electricity.
So it all came out. The AC came off the roof, and in went a vent with a fan. Perfect fit! The carpet came out, and the soft spots in the wood replaced.
The benches and table came out, and new floating floor went down, and screwed down along the edges. The partition behind the drivers seat came out,
and I only put back the outside wall bench and one corner at the back, making it much more open up front. (there is only 2 of us) We didnt need the full U bench back in. All the cabinets came out..right to the back bunks, closet and all. All new cabinets went in from Home Depot. The unfinished oak ones. Sanded and stained Honey Oak Varathane. (came out beautiful) I put in combinations of drawers and cupboards, and custom fitted them to go over the rear wheelwells. A brand new full size 3 way fridge went in with a new drawer at the bottom. (no space wasted!) The heater came out, and all the duck work, as we dont camp really in cold weather. All the overhead cabinets stayed as original equipment, as they worked perfectly still. But new overhead cabinets went in the back to replace that big closet, but also installed another countertop back there which gave us tons of usable space. I never put the sink back up front, we dont need two sinks inside. We kept the back one on the drivers side as it was right beside the pump and I installed a new smaller water tank right below the bunk there. So my whole water system was now compact and ran to the sink and toilet only. A new stainless bar sink went in too. Under the overheads were wired with LED lighting, and USB ports for phone charging, as well as all cabin lights had the bulbs switched over. We only use a small portable propane 2 burner cooktop which stows away when not in use, so our front counter is huge most of the time! No sink or stove wasting space! When I pulled all the counters out, I found most of the area where floor meets wall was rotten. Sawdust...damp wood...I cleaned it all out..filled with roofing tar and fit in perfectly cut wood to fill the holes. Then placed a full 1/4 inch panel along the whole wall and put a 2x2 along the bottom ,screwed to the floor and to the wall..and now that wall is firm and water tight. When the cabinets went in and secured also...the walls are super firm now. I kept the original wall boards, most were in great shape. The mix of the old with new looks great. Outside is all Original Winnebago! Pictures I need to retrieve from an older phone...that took a swim. lol.

stanDman111

sounds like a great upgrade , would love to see some pics

tiinytina

In my Gallery as some of the updates we've done... mostly replacing cabinet faces with oak vs the dated maple.... a few glass features I've added and standard faucets.  http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=31;nw;start=42
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

Thenoob

What have you guys done to replace the stock carpet in the driving cab?  Mine is a beat up orange shag.  You guys just lay down new carpet?

stanDman111

yep , just tear er out and lay new or go with  a none slip rubber flooring product = cut & glue comes in 2x2 squares

C&T2

Yeah, I'm thinking of removing my green, dirty, sun-faded shag in the cab... One of the POs removed the main coach carpet and replaced it with stick-on tiles. Problem is they are starting to pull up, so am going to have to eventually replace everything. Was thinking of using a commercial Lino myself - should be able to get some cool colours that way. I think carpet in a MH or camper is a terrible, terrible idea!

stanDman111

I like your idea & yes carpet in a m/h can be a downer

Rickf1985

Say that when you put your bare feet on that cold vinyl or wood floor.

beaverman

Froggy1936

And not just bare feet , Full time in the winter is a big problem with heat , I have seen in freezing weather, Inside temps near the ceiling of 80o  and have ice on the floor in uncarpeted area even with circulating fans running   The floor will always be cold even if you have a basement and the wind is blocked !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

M & J

We have vinyl in ours with throw rugs. Best option for us since we trail ride and come in muddy.
M & J

Rickf1985

Good option, My carpets are still in good shape so I just keep a small vacuum in there.