Busted drivers side glass and bent my door

Started by Thenoob, March 08, 2017, 05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thenoob

hi everyone.

A nice person in the neighbourhood decided to break in to my motorhome.  He busted my glass. On the drivers side to get in (drivers seat.

How do to go about replacing these older styles windows? The slider piece is in tact (with the handle), it's the stationary piece that got busted.  Any ideas would be great.

Also they bent my DOOR!!! Grrrr!!!  Now it comes out at the bottom and top. Has a hard time closing.  And the door jam is bent. what in the world!!! I absolutely think theives are the scum of society.

And of course I took insurance off a couple of weeks ago. Awesome.

TerryH

Photos are required, best if taken from the exterior. Stationary (fixed) glass is 'usually' far easier to replace than the slider. Door - there are ways to straighten it, depending on the door and damage, that you can do. Not always the best, but may work while you look for a replacement if required. Jamb - again photos required.
Scum of society - you are being far too nice.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

stanDman111

sorry to hear of your plight , a glass shop could make you one  but u will need a templet  , but maybe some on the site might  have a spare

Thenoob

stanDman111

TerryH

Re your door - hinge side appears to be ok. Problem is bottom sprung. This may work but may not be permanent. Your door is basically two skins, inner and outer with spacers in between. Very similar to a residential door and a commercial steel door. They can be sprung, but the damage may be permanent.
Take a 2' 2x4 and place it diagonally at the top between the top left (opening) corner and the coach body, about 12" down and 12" right of the corner. Have someone hold it in place and close the door onto the 2x4.
Push in on the bottom left corner of the door using only enough pressure to force it in approx. 1".
Try closing the door.
Continue as above until it closes satisfactorily.
Again, the door has been substantially weakened, but this should serve for now.
I'll post separately for the jamb. It can be fixed.
Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

You DID say drivers door didn't you? Over the drivers seat? [On the drivers side to get in (drivers seat.] The pictures are of the side entrance door which normally would not have a slider window?

Thenoob

Thanks for that write up, that makes sense for sure I'll give that a try when I have someone to give me a hand!

And yes , for the window, I meant Drivers Seat! The stationary glass part of the slider is what got mangled.  I'm guessing it's a trip to the auto glass store!

DaveVA78Chieftain

The "Eyebrow" Winnebago Coach Service Manual in the site store covers everything your asking about (window replacement and door straightening) in detail.
[move][/move]

Thenoob

Ohhhhhhhh snap!!
Thanks for that link it's a reading time!

Rickf1985

Quote from: Thenoob on March 08, 2017, 06:41 PM
Thanks for that write up, that makes sense for sure I'll give that a try when I have someone to give me a hand!

And yes , for the window, I meant Drivers Seat! The stationary glass part of the slider is what got mangled.  I'm guessing it's a trip to the auto glass store!

Ok, Mine has a drivers door, I am not thinking that the older ones do not have drivers doors.

CapnDirk

Thenoob:  Try one of these options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4ZYOBzEEs

And this one filmed in my hometown.  There were many versions including the Chaperone version if you have teenage daughters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyh0bG7FWJg

Glass shop can do flat piece easy.  Someone with knowledge of bodywork should be able to re-tweek the door.

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Thenoob

Perfect reply.
If only they hit the market!

Thenoob

Quick bump

I'm going with plexiglass as glass just seems to be a headache.
Has anybody done this on here?

I'm obviously going to have to make a template then take it
In to get cut.  My questions:

1.  How thick? I'm imagining it's going to have to be thin enough to KO d of bend it a bit to weasel it into the exsisting frame?  I don't want to remove the exsisting window frame to do this if possible. Is there a better way to do this?

2.  After it sits properly in the frame, I'm worried about it flying out on the highway with air being able to bend it and fly it out? Am I crazy or
Is there a way to seat it into the frame.  I'm hoping I can pull this off this week.

Thanks In advance!!

Rickf1985

Well, I hate to say it but there is the right way and the way you are attempting. Guess which one is going to work? I doubt you will get anything into the frame and have it stay there dependably without taking the frame apart and if you are going to do that then you might as well go with the glass because the plexi is going to scratch and haze in a year. If you insist on plastic at least use Lexan.

TerryH

Quote from: Rickf1985 on March 27, 2017, 04:27 PM
Well, I hate to say it but there is the right way and the way you are attempting. Guess which one is going to work? I doubt you will get anything into the frame and have it stay there dependably without taking the frame apart and if you are going to do that then you might as well go with the glass because the plexi is going to scratch and haze in a year. If you insist on plastic at least use Lexan.
:)ThmbUp
Albus Dumbledore

Thenoob

Well bugger me.
I'm just trying to avoid a 500.00 piece of glass here in Canada.  Can't order a replacement, and getting one cut seems to be a big deal for every shop I've contacted  in vancouver.

I've gotten shut down by 10 (every glass shop I've called so far) as nobody wants to do the job.  This is very frustrating, man I hate thieves.  I'm just trying to find a work around that can work.

skloon

I worked in a glass shop for about five years and will give you my 3 cents. To do a proper job you will have to remove the frame at that point you can take it to a shop- I would look for small independents who do semi-trucks as they would be used to cutting curved edges- the cost of plexi or lexan will be close to that of laminated safety glass and it won't get all messed up if you use the wrong glass cleaner or spray brake kleen on it in error- I feel your pain as some miscreants in my neighborhood broke the side windows on both of my cars last month- luckilly picknpull had them but still 40$ and a couple of hours plus the fun of having glass cubes appear for hte next few years

tmsnyder

Did you try Peninsula Glass?

https://www.onedayglass.com/

They can cut any shape, drill holes, temper, safety glass, etc  There's an online app where you design the piece you need, then they give you the price.  If you like it, buy it and it comes in a couple days.  Click on the big red "get an online quote" button to start the custom glass design.

I had to replace a sliding window in mine, I think it was like $60 for a rectangle, with two radiused corners, tempered.

TerryH

$500 sounds like a huge mistake in communication.
I was a Glazier for 40+ years and have never seen a window that small that would cost that. If you like I could take a look at it with you this weekend.
If you are interested let me know and I'll PM you with contact info - this is a public site.
Albus Dumbledore

Thenoob

That would be wonderful.
Much much appreciated.

I talked to 10 glass shops and nobody wanted to work on it.  By the end I just got upset and stopped calling.

Thieves get me all kinds of riled up. I think it's also due to guys just used to seeing normal auto glass and then seeing this and thinking ... NOPE!

TerryH

Albus Dumbledore

Rickf1985

Terry, Want to come look at my windshield?

TerryH

Albus Dumbledore

M & J

M & J