Where to get parts for Onan 5.0 BGA 3CR / 160004C

Started by Flybynorth, February 22, 2017, 09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flybynorth

So we are about to trade our 22' Winnebago with a 4.0 Emerald 1 on a larger 5th wheel as we have alot of kids. I needed a generator to run the 5th wheel so I traded for a 5.0 BGA that needs a few things. I did not anticipate it being so hard to find part information for the BGA, so I would appreciate any advice.

Currently, I need an oil filter, a muffler, and an automatic choke assembly. I am going to build a skid to mount the generator on and a small fuel tank. A service and parts manual would be nice, I read in one thread they can be had on this site possibly?

Warren

Onan parts are service manual are available from your local Cummings Onan dealer.  Take in the part number to the parts counter, and they should be able to look it up for you.   I walked out with the service manual, and parts listing - for a 1972 model!   
This forum has a ton of info regarding Onan:  https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103629

Rickf1985

You are going to find that parts for that unit are expensive and kind of hard to come by. I have gone to two Cummins dealers and it was a total waste of my time, sort of like going there for parts for my Dodge Cummins pickup. They look at you with the deer in the head light look. Get the manuals from here and do a Google search for Onan parts, they are out there but pricey and in short supply. If you are skid mounting and not permanently mounting this inside the trailer it is best to just by a newer genset. Cheaper in the long run.

DaveVA78Chieftain

PDF version of the manuals are in the member area
[move][/move]

DRMousseau

I'm gonna make one more welded repair to my Onan muffler,... and then bite the big one for an OEM replacement soon. I'm certain I can find a replacement for half the cost,.... but for less than half the life??? W%

mmmm,.... 30yr muffler? or noisy 10yr(?) substitute??? Dang, I need gaskets too!!! D:oH!

Also need a fuelpump. UGH!!! Not sure how long my new "substitute" will last, but I'd sure feel better with a new 30yr OEM. Maybe this year. Dang,... this bill is nearly half the cost of a cheap new genset!!! N:(

oh,... if you DO decide on a new genset, get two! You'll need 'em, "in the long run", lol! Ya think Onan parts are hard to find,.... try lookin' for 15yr Honda parts!!! ACK!!!! Oh, and get one with 220!!! Much handier to use a welder with even if a bit more noisy. I'd get one myself as a backup,... but I never need a backup!!! Jus 220 once in a while. hahaha!

BTW,... I too am carting up an old 40yr Onan!!! It jus isn't ready to die yet!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Flybynorth

Thanks Guys. I am working on building a skid for it now that the 5th wheel is in hand.

Cheers, Erik

Oz

Quote from: Warren on February 22, 2017, 11:45 PM
Onan parts are service manual are available from your local Cummings Onan dealer.  Take in the part number to the parts counter, and they should be able to look it up for you.   I walked out with the service manual, and parts listing - for a 1972 model!   
This forum has a ton of info regarding Onan:  https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103629

This is why a mere $5 is so valuable for a 1 year full member upgrade.  You don't have to get this, go there, call these people, read another forum... you can save a lot of time and frustration by finding what you need... right here!

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

circleD

I bought a muffler from Cummins for 65.00 I think a few years ago. After doing research I could've used any muffler as long as I had room. But I don't. My friend who works on old Onans said I needed a new choke with a thermal something. And the price was high. So he told me to hold the choke over to one side with my finger till it got warm then it was ready. Convenient NO, cheap and it works YES. I believe the oil filters need a bypass due to the pressure so dont put just any filter on. I did a post a few years ago about my genny slide out adventure. I'll try to link it when I'm on a laptop.

RANGERRICK

Make sure that you use a spark arrestor muffler.

Flybynorth

I purchased the Onan muffler, and I'm just now finishing up this project. I have the genset running nicely after a carb cleaning and its putting out good voltage. I'm looking for those gasket/o-rings that go under the plastic air cleaner tube on the carb right now.