Rear sway bar bushings - you may want to replace these

Started by BrandonMc, February 16, 2017, 05:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonMc

Taking a look at everything as I go on the restoration - the bushings look like they needed a repair. If you haven't checked them on your rig, you may want to, because mine looked like this and yours could be worse than you think. These are already worn all the way through one side at 53,000 miles.

Rickf1985

You have to be careful with those urethane bushings because they do not have the "give" that the rubber ones did and they can break the holding bracket bolts right off. Happened on mine, Twice. I put stock rubber ones back and have had no problems since.

BrandonMc

Quote from: Rickf1985 on February 16, 2017, 06:10 PM
You have to be careful with those urethane bushings because they do not have the "give" that the rubber ones did and they can break the holding bracket bolts right off. Happened on mine, Twice. I put stock rubber ones back and have had no problems since.

good to note. I would have gone with rubber, but these were acdelco, and cheaper and I had ordered them already. I'll update if they break, perhaps drill and tap to 1/2"?

Froggy1936

I installed the urathane bushings on my 77 class C  And like i mentioned they are noisy  I have had a clunking Driveway exit type noise that i could never find any reason for , Then suddenly it stopped When i investigated i found the R/S sway bar bracket at the A frame had broken and the sway bar was rendered ineffective  I replaced both A frame brackets with stronger bolts And lo and behold the clunking noise returned , Now that i know what it is i live with it ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

BrandonMc

Quote from: Froggy1936 on February 17, 2017, 01:49 PM
I installed the urathane bushings on my 77 class C  And like i mentioned they are noisy  I have had a clunking Driveway exit type noise that i could never find any reason for , Then suddenly it stopped When i investigated i found the R/S sway bar bracket at the A frame had broken and the sway bar was rendered ineffective  I replaced both A frame brackets with stronger bolts And lo and behold the clunking noise returned , Now that i know what it is i live with it ! Frank

just wondering, did you apply any grease to the bar and the inner diameter on installation? I have, and so far so good on the first test drive, but they will likely dry up, I didn't put a lot on by any means.

Froggy1936

The brackets on the A frames have grease fittings But the noise is not a squeek type noise it is banging type noise  Like a loose fit But they fit pretty tight ! It only happenes with the wheels turned and going over a irregularity ! I no longer pay it any attention !  Frank

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.