Fridge problem on gas

Started by kennyrodgers, February 16, 2017, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kennyrodgers

Hi all,
Just back from a little three day break and the fridge was acting up on the first two days.
We have a 94 southwind with a Dometic RM 2807 two way fridge.
We've owned the RV for about 18 months and in all that time if we ever have to use the fridge on gas I've always had to go and ignite it manually as the auto igniter doesn't work, no major problem there....However this trip I couldn't get it to stay lit at all at first. It would light then go out or the gas would shut off after about 20 seconds or so. We tried again a few hours later and got it to stay lit.  I figured this would be something to do with the flame detector / thermocouple maybe ??
We woke on the second morning to a terrible smell of gas inside the RV so after opening the doors etc to get the gas out I checked the fridge and sure enough the flame had gone out.......but the gas was still flowing. We were parked near the ocean and there was a stiff breeze blowing up the side of the RV where the fridge is so I'm guessing it got blown inward rather than falling out the back of the fridge.
What's confusing about this is the fact that it wouldn't stay lit to start with Hmmm  ??

The other thing is the LPG detector..... i have to switch that on and let it run through it's start up cycle before it opens the gas valve yet it didn't detect the gas inside the RV.   Last year my wife sprayed hair spray whilst stood next to it and it nearly went in to melt down with the amount of noise it made so I'm figuring it was working fine last year.

Any ideas guys.....especially with the fridge.
Any comments gratefully received as always.
Pete.
:)ThmbUp

J.F.D.I

Rickf1985

First things first. GET A NEW PROPANE DETECTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And be sure it is one that ties into the safety shutoff valve. Then test it with a small hand held ignitor with the flame blown out. I am not an expert on the fridge but my best guess is the control board is bad and that is why the gas did not shut off when the flame went out. Probably why the auto ignite is not working also. Others that know more on them will chime in I am sure but I would turn off the gas to the fridge right now. There should be a shut off valve right in the back of the fridge.

kennyrodgers

Hi Rick,
Thanks for the reply buddy. I have a few things to try and some test procedures I've found so I'll report back.
One thing i have discovered is the flame is supposed to go out once the fridge gets down to the set temp and then relight when needed. I'm pretty sure my ignitor has the wrong gap and then I need to check the solenoid on the valve.
I'll keep you posted though.
Hope you're well and thanks again.
J.F.D.I

Rickf1985

On most of them if it does not relight on it's own it will shut down and flash a light inside and you have to reset it before it will try again. Mine is that way. And you will hear it clicking as it tries to light. But no matter what, if the flame goes out the gas should stop immediately.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Gas System (second generation)

Not sure if you have the old or new wiring.  That link is to new wiring, there is a link to the old wiring on that page.
[move][/move]

kennyrodgers

Thanks Dave, much appreciated.
J.F.D.I

Froggy1936

Kenny I think Hair spray would be very bad for the detector as it could coat the sensor, I know that if i dont turn on my bathroom exaust fan My Right Guard will actuate the propane detector Wich is located directly across from the bath room I would definatly replace it and use hair spray outside or with strong exaust fan running ! Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

kennyrodgers

Hi Froggy,
Thanks for the reply and I thought the same to be honest, after all it's a lacquer of sorts.
I tested the detector yesterday by holding and unlit butane torch in front of it. It did work and shut the gas off but I basically had to direct the gas flow in to the detector from an inch away to get it to trip. I guess it worked but less than ideal....it's on the to do list before Summer arrives.
I've managed to do a few test procedures on the fridge along with cleaning up all the connections on the board and the earth block. I'm relieved to say that the board is working just as it should, the solenoid is good and the thermocouple is now shutting the gas off.....at least at initial start up. What I did discover is that the igniter is bad along with the electrode.
The igniter is receiving 12v for the 45 second start up phase but not producing any high voltage for the spark. I've ordered a new igniter and electrode  that should be arriving today all being well. I'll fit 'em both tomorrow and report back. My concern now is that the fridge will relight once it goes out after reaching temp.
Both items cost me in excess of £100 here in the UK..... for $50 of parts U.S. Jeez !
Gotta love this RV'in malarkey eh.
Happy Days.
Thanks again guys.
:)ThmbUp

J.F.D.I

kennyrodgers

Sorry Folks, shoulda updated this one.
I got the new spark module and electrode. All fitted and the fridge is now working as it should. I moved the thermocouple slightly more over the flame and gave it a good clean and up to now, it all seems fine.
Thanks all.
Pete. :)ThmbUp
J.F.D.I

Oz

BTW - We have the manual for this model, I hope you've downloaded it.

;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca