Need 1976 Chieftain Brake master cylinder

Started by DON, February 14, 2017, 11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DON

Does anyone know what type master cylinder I would need?  I have a 76 winnebago chieftain with a 440-3.  My cylinder has a leak.  My rv is out of town so I would like to purchase master cylinder to have and replace when I go up to lake.  The rv is on a dodge chassis.  I am told that car parts places have trouble identifying needed parts for rvs.  Thought maybe a club member had gone through this.  Thanks.

plockit007

Not yet I haven't. I did lots of research and have found parts by looking for parts for a Dodge 300 pickup. 1975 Chieftain D25cl

BrandonMc

I would look on rock auto or an online auto parts store to begin, they're kinda cheap from what I've seen

DON

should I look for dodge 300  1976 master cylinder?

turbinebronze

Hi Don,
I would first look to the right of this page and go to Dave's Place and see if the M/C is listed under Dodge brake systems. You will need to know what model chassis the Dodge is.
  Just my 2 cents, Craig.

plockit007

OOPSS my fault. You can do a check on a 1975 and up D300 master cylinder probably not past 1979. Check the Mitchell manual at the library. I can't recall the other book but there is another book out there that can show you what other parts from different vehicles with work by swapping the parts.

Although I would not swap a VW part with a dodge W%

DaveVA78Chieftain

Need to know what Dodge chassis you have (year and model [M300, M400]).  Could be a Hydroboost, Master-Vac, or HYdro-VAc based system.  Different parts for different chassis.  Do you know your Dodge VIN number?
[move][/move]

DON

That should be on the title or reg., would it not?  By that could I find what chassis?

DaveVA78Chieftain

In the 70's some states used the Dodge chassis VIN number, some used the Winnebago serial number and others invented their own.  A Dodge VIN number would be something like M30CA6Sxxxxxx or M40CA6Sxxxxxx.
Because they had to order a chassis early, Winnebago normally placed this years rig (e.g. 1976) on last years chassis (e.g. 1975) so the 6th digit is most likely a 5.
[move][/move]

DON

Mine shows the engine or other id number as m40ca65.  That would indicate a dodge chassis, I guess. Would the 4 in the number indicate m400 chassis?

DaveVA78Chieftain

m40ca65
m4 = M400 Chassi
0 = Motorhome chassis
c = 10 to 14K GVW
A = 440-3 engine
6 = 1976

1976 should be Hydroboost brake system (same system I have) however, it could be a Hydro-Vac

Given 76 is the break-in year for Hydroboost, I recommend you look and see which one you have before going any further.
[move][/move]

DON

lip

I just bought one for my 1976 Brave with the 440-3 at Alretta Truck Parts! Should be the same. Geoff got them on stock.
Best,
Lloyd

DON

DaveVA78Chieftain

In 1973 when Dodge implemented the RM series chassis they used the terms RM300, RM350, and RM400.  In 75, Dodge redesignated those terms to following and made it retroactive to 73:
M300 = RM300
M400 = RM350
M500 = RM400

Aftermarket support set most of their data up using the original 1973 designations.  So, many M400 chassis parts are actually listed under M350 or RM350 rather than M400.  Brake parts especially.
[move][/move]

plockit007

Get your brake cylinder from Car quest or auto zone or even from advanced auto. The last stop would be Nappa parts. A dodge d300 truck 440 engine will be the exact swap.

DON