'84 chieftan interior rehab

Started by kerryb, February 11, 2017, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryb

Quote from: Rickf1985 on August 12, 2017, 11:21 AM
Don't you worry about the VCT over the stove warping from the heat? It is only plastic and not heat resistant.

Not yet, but it could be an issue.  I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

kerryb

Ok...so that bridge didn't look so close on the map but here we are!  The tiles were advertised as peel and stick,  but they are actually stick and peel!  After selected tiles fell off the first time, I tried Elmers spray adhesive.  Now that the same tiles fell off again I cleaned the wall with brake cleaner and plan to sand the two coats of kilz primer to rough it up a bit and then try contact cement left over from the formica countertop installation.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TerryH

I would think you will need something like contact cement and your formica roller. You would want immediate adhesion on contact, particularly at the edges of the tiles.
May be an idea to try a couple of test pieces of cut off tiles first.
One with the cement only to see if it reacts with the tile/tile adhesive.
One with a scrap of wood closest to the same as the wall glued to the tile.
I've used the gel contact on vertical surfaces with good results.
As an aside, I've had contact cement set off my propane detector when using the cement inside.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

kerryb

Did you know...Joann fabrics has Crocodile vinyl?  makes a nice accent color!  So I just returned from the maiden voyage...47 miles to the 4 mile creek campground at Youngstown N.Y. on lake Ontario.  Finally fixed enough stuff to try it out.  All systems seem to be working well, didn't make a fool of myself at the dump station, and managed to keep it between the lines all the way there and back.  Wish there were a way to get better than 6.5 MPG on mostly level ground!#$%  Here are a couple pics of the progress to date...

CapnDirk

LOVE the hula girl!!!.  Got to have the plastic Jesus and Smokey the Bear butt snuffer to!!!

And enquiring minds want to know (maybe i"m being naive here) how do you make a fool of yourself at the dump station?  It's not like you have to syphon it!   W%

Please everyone tell me I've been doing it right.   ???

P.S.  Magnificent work and very good pics!
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

kerryb

Did you see Robin Williams in "RV"?  A crowd gathered to see the newbe do battle with the "dump station, they weren't disappointed when the hose backed up and spewed everywhere!

CapnDirk

OHHHH!!! 

I now HAVE to see that movie!  Christmas vacation movie.  His black water hose draining into the storm drain!!!   :D :)rotflmao :)rotflmao :)clap
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

boohoo222

that movies worth watching over and over,  :P
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

Rickf1985

There ought to be a thread on "Dump station disasters". I grew up camping in my dads pick up camper so I knew all about dump stations but I have seen some real hilarious disasters at the "hole". Blowouts, backups, disconnections, misconnections, forgotten connections, broken valves.

kerryb

Those are EXACTLY what I was afraid of, so I watched the guy before me REAL carefully.  Now I just need to fit one of those handle extensions on the grey water tank so I don't need to reach so far under to open it.

On a side note, all my guages work except the fuel guage...where should I start to diagnose the reason? (P30 chassis)

Rickf1985

If you can access the wire where it goes to the tank you can ground that wire and see if the gauge goes to full or empty, I forget which way the Dodge will go. If it goes full range either way the gauge is good and the problem is at the sender. Could be as simple as a bad ground on the sending unit. If the gauge does not move then you need to check to see if you have voltage on that wire and follow it back to the source.

Winnebago Warrior 94

It is looking all adorable ..looks super cute ..love the fabrics and the red Formica ..I'm on a cell phone and the carpet pic didnt show up ..I like your idea of carpet squares..how did you take out and reseal your Windows ..I need to do this to mine what did you put on it to keep it from, leaking ..I've looked at mine and they seem easy enough to get out ..I have been busy on redoing a house laying ceramic tile and etc ..time to get back on my Winnebago ..taking it to get tje brakes checked tomorrow and and get the brake lines flushed and make sure all is good to go ..ill be steam cleaning my carpets soon ..they arent bad shape but they could use some freshing up ..please let me know what you sealed you windows with when you rrmoved them ..keep up the good work on your cute rig

kerryb

Guess I should check this more often!
I used white (grey) butyl tape from the rv store to reseal my windows.  Sharpened a hardwood stick like a chisel to scrape/peel the old sticky off with brake  cleaner.  The hard part was reinstalling the window centered in the opening.  I also used a pair off pliers to pinch the window frame slighltly where the screws go back in.