'84 chieftan interior rehab

Started by kerryb, February 11, 2017, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerryb

Gotta start somewhere...so this is it.
We bought an '84 Winnebago because the price was right, all the systems worked, and the bed was in the right place.
Of course when the seller delivered it for final inspection the response was,  "I can't camp in that, it's too ugly!"  After further discussion, the main points of cost and suitability won out, but it was still "too ugly" so it was decided I would spend the winter working on an interior refit to cover up the "ugly".  Personally, I didn't think it looked to bad for the price.  It doesn't hurt to be a little color blind and fashion-clueless!  I just wanted to try out motor-homing on the cheap!

kerryb

The first improvement was to rip out all the carpet, only took two days to get the front seats out!  Some things like kitchen cabinets stayed in and I just cut the carpet around them.  Dinette was removed to get the carpet out, repair the floor sags, remove the rear folding couch/bed (its available), and repair the shower drain connection because it was leaking.
My decorator (my wife) accompanied me to the store to select fabric, and I scoured the want ads for a appropriate sewing machine.  (Had to build a table to put my new 1960's machine in) Since I had done a little sewing in my back-packing days, I figured it shouldn't be too difficult to copy the old cushion covers with the new fabric.  Pics to follow show the current status.

kerryb

Since the counter tops were swelled with water damage, I got a quote to replace them from the local kitchen shop.  $600 was beyond what I could justify, so for $100 in materials I've been practicing my Formica skills.  They will certainly draw your eye away from the carpet!

If anyone has suggestions for polishing the SS sink, I'm listening carefully.

brians1969

Looks good! Did you use new foam? Did you cover the foam with batting?

kerryb

I used the existing foam which was in good condition as was the batting.  I'm still debating the use of the "quilting" buttons.  I have to figure out how to cover them with the new fabric.  The new covers have the pleats sewn in to allow for the buttons so I may be forced to re-install them to make the covers behave correctly.

Winnebago Warrior 94

You did a great job on sewing those cushion covers ..my dinette cushions are in great shape still ..I washed mine and I just covered them in the clear plastic to keep them clean ..the fabric shows through but you can just wipe up any spills from food or drink ..keep up the good work😃

BrandonMc

Looking good! I redid my cornices and hung new curtains, but this is getting into it!

kerryb

I keep trying to post and keep losing my work.  When my frustration settles, ill try again.  Nearing the finish line!

kerryb

Windows...removed, repaired, replaced.  Brake cleaner works to remove the putty with a wood stick.  "Krud Kutter" works ok to get silicone off, but only with vigorous fingernail action.  Last step to seal the putty in with silicone around the outside edges.

kerryb

Working under my "tent", I can keep going even in the rain.  Gets cooler inside with the windows out!

LJ-TJ

legomybago

glad to see you are still at it.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

kerryb

Removed the exhaust manifolds, only broke three bolts that hold the exhaust pipes to the manifolds.  I was able to drill out the broken studs and clean the threads with a tap.  Only broke one tap!  Can you tell i've had some practice at that job?  Put them back on without gaskets on the advice here and my favorite mechanic.  Had to re-hang the whole system due to rust and earlier poor installation.  One pipe was touching the grey water tank and had even started to melt the plastic, whew! Dodged that bullet.  She runs nice and quiet now. 

demon

kerryb

Here are some more pics to show progress...We want to use this soon!
Cab carpeting was interesting, used contact cement around the edges and regular carpet glue in the middle of pieces.  Glued down padding first to help with heat and noise reduction.
Still debating what the backsplash will be, but the countertop and stove are back in.  rebuilding the water heater bypass was interesting...good thing you can heat form pex tubing!  It still took up double the old space...oh well.
Next issue to slove is making the dinette seatback fold down so the driver seat can turn to watch TV.  A piano hinge and some locking pins should work.  The new seats came out of a Ford conversion Van, direct bolt on to existing pedestals...woohoo.
Stay tuned, capeting is coming soon!

TerryH

Suggestion re your driver's seat, dinette, and possibility of the seat rotating:
consider the obstruction caused by your steering wheel. That is why many RV driver's seats will not rotate anywhere close to 360 degrees, never mind 45 degrees.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

kerryb

Ooooh,, good point...I need to check that.  The good news is the wheel has tilt, and the forward/backward travel of the pedestal mount might reveal enough room for the seat to turn 180 degrees.  I think a steeringwheel prop on the paasenger side may prove it.  Glad you mentioned it, just the work to fit cores in the hollow wall for a hinge would take appreciable time to do.  I'm going out to play with seats!

kerryb

Good news!... with the dinette seatback removed, there is room for the drivers seat to rotate 180 degrees.  It does require the steering wheel to be tilted upright (level), and the base travel full forward to complete the turn.  A few more measurements show the hinge will need to be at the level of the cushion support, but that just means the cushions will sit on top of the seatback after it is folded, not a big deal. They will make a nice ottoman for the driver seat!  Now to put the table in to prove there is room for the back to fold down all the way with the table up.  Sure is an aweful lot of engineering just to spin the seat around!

plockit007

That's a great looking rig. Nice job on the interior. It does not look ugly and I would take that anywhere to camp with. It just seems like the places we want to go don't like older rigs..maybe they will catch a virus or some other weird disease.

Thanks for the Pictures :)clap :angel:

kerryb

Thanks Plockit, we haven't actually spent a night in an RV yet, but we have heard some parks have an age limit on equipment.  I would assume that national and state parks don't have this issue so for the forseeable near future it won't bother me.  I suppose if I were driving a $100k rig, I wouldn't want a $5k bus spoiling the neighborhood.  I ride an '83 goldwing with a teardrop trailer when I camp on two wheels.  Motorcycle campgrounds don't have these issues.

Update: I replaced the rotted wood on the rear sill/bumper area today.  Now the ladder doesn't wiggle when you climb on.

kerryb

So I got lucky!  There was enough clearance to split the dinette wall with a piano hinge to make it fold down.  Now there is room for the driver seat to spin 180 degrees to watch TV and the cushions become an ottoman for the seat.  I still have to replace the cushion at the top of the wall and put a bumper and latch on the sidewall for the dinette wall to fasten to.  And...No, you never have enough clamps!

kerryb

The carpeting is "IN", not glued down yet, but all the pieces are cut and fitted.  I used 24" square carpet tiles because there is no way I wanted to wrestle a big piece of carpet and figure out how to fit all the non-square corners.  Now I can start at the back and work my way forward with glue... oh fun!
Pics to follow...

kerryb

The backsplash in the kitchen was going to be that retro tin ceiling stuff till I found out how much it would cost...not worth it for my purposes.  We settled on peel and stick floor tiles at .88 each.  Cuts easily with a razor knife and pops right into place.
Got the carpet glued down too.  too bad I didn't take a better picture.  I'll have to catch that one on the final tour.

CapnDirk

I've NEVER seen anyone (upholstery shops included) that good on working with a pattern fabric.  You need to do work for the rest of us  :)clap

"Winnie cushions Inc"  Seriously

Nice job!!
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

Don't you worry about the VCT over the stove warping from the heat? It is only plastic and not heat resistant.