2018 Executive upgrade/mod projects

Started by Sasquatch, January 20, 2018, 10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasquatch

It's around $1000, plus install price because the sensors go in the tires on the wheel.  But, it is the best in the business.  The company I worked for, owned by my father, built the system for the OEM RV industry for many years.  We used SmarTire and Valor TPMS sensors integrated into our TripTek trip computer.  But Valor offers a stand alone system, you can check out their website http://www.valortpms.com/

Working in the industry and doing tons of testing on TPMS systems, I am convinced you really need to go big or dont go at all.  The cheap screw on valve stem systems just do not work reliably.  And if they do, they give you pressure, but not temperature which is critical.  And, with pressure only, it is amazing how most people simply do not understand how the relationship between pressure and temperature behaves, and it is normal for tires to go up, sometimes dramatically as they heat up.  I have seen people let air out of their hot tire because it is supposed to be 100psi and it is reading 120 hot, now they are under inflated.

With the temperature warnings, we also caught a dragging brake on the tag axle on his diesel pusher before it became a problem.  Without the system, he would have been oblivious and likely damaged the expensive tire at a minimum, or set the coach on fire at the worst.

Good systems are expensive, but worth every penny once you get used to them and trust them.  I even have a system on my motorcycle and it has saved me a few times.

Sasquatch

Quote from: Elandan2 on February 25, 2018, 08:01 AM
"If I get too close to the car in front."  Ha!! When driving in mine, I'm always hoping the car behind me has adaptive collision avoidance!!

That is only part of the situation.  I am with you on the highway as I generally cruise at 65 and the speed limits are 80 out here.  But, it has warned me countless times while in traffic when the car in front has slowed before I noticed it.  I could be chatting with my now ex wife, petting the cat, etc., (admit it, we all get distracted at times), and the car in front hits their brake and the system goes off before I realize it.  A real life saver.

M & J

The latter being the most costly Rick?
M & J

Rickf1985

Yea, she was pretty stressed out sitting on the side of 295 in Md. in the dark tight against the guardrail with two dogs that really wanted to go out and could not understand why they couldn't. Cars blowing by 12 inches away at 70 MPH. She had a stomach virus, this was the second breakdown and the second time the towing insurance left me stranded. It was 21 hours into a 7 hour trip and we had only gone 150 some miles. 2 hours later after a damn good tow truck driver got the trailer, and then my Jeep all back to a Wal-mart lot and it was quiet things calmed down. 23 hours in all before we got to bed. I can't blame her for being a bit on edge. Do NOT want to go through that again.