Stabilizer Bar Bushings

Started by BrandonMc, January 28, 2017, 06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonMc

1988 P30 Chevy 454 Chassis
While replacing shocks, I noticed something else to repair. Doesn't it always work like that?

Perhaps these measurements may be able to help you as well.
Front Stabilizer Bar Diameter: 1-1/4"
Rear Stabilizer Bar Diameter: 1-3/4"

I have also read about just using OEM rubber as compared to the upgraded poly. This rig needs to only last 50k more miles anyways, right? Would like to stick to oem rubber for cheapness, personally.

BrandonMc

On further research:
Autozone Carries these:

4x Rear: 3.5148G  $34.99    1-3/4"
Front:
2x Frame FA7153 $11.98   1-1/4"
2x Control Arm 17456  $34.99   1-1/4"

Subtotal 81.96

Froggy1936

I reccomend the OEM rubber, The Poly urathane  N:( (i put them on my frt sway bar) Are noisy and you cannot stop them from makeing noise !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

expertrider

I put the upgraded 1 3/4 front sway bar on...it came with both front and rear bushings... major difference in side to side sway... like a sports car now! I highly recommend it...

wae

I just did the sway bar bushings on the front of my '93 P30 chassis - the suspension components should be mostly the same as yours.  I'd say that I replaced them but it turns out there weren't any bushings in there at all!  I bought the Moog K6476 bushings - one set from Rock Auto and one set from Amazon (long story there...) and they were about $10 + shipping for the Rock Auto ones and about $12 with Prime from Amazon.  Just came back from an 1800 mile journey and there was no noise to speak of.  According to the literature, they are poly bushings.  I've got Energy Suspension and Prothane poly bushings on my other cars and don't get any binding or noise out of them, either.  I do know that the "performance" bushing manufactures send out a little tube of grease that has to be applied to the bushing at install to keep them from squeaking, but the Moog bushings didn't have that.  Still no squeaking or noise, though.

EDIT:  On the front, the sway bar bushings are the same for the frame and the control arm brackets.  The autozone information is a bit weird.  Moog sells the bushings as a set of 2 per package, so you just need 2x of the K6476 to do all four positions in the front.  It looks like  17456 from the Zone is a package of two bushings but the FA7153 is a package of a single bushing.  Not sure why they'd do that.  Either way, you need either 4x of the FA7153 or 2x of the 17456.  Personally, I always go Moog for ball joints and bushings on non-race/track vehicles.

Rickf1985

Sometimes the urethane bushings will be too stiff and they will bend the brackets that hold them. You have the remember that you are driving a motorhome and not a Corvette, don't try to make it handle like one or you are going to break other parts in the process. The rubber will absorb all of the noise and vibration and more than enough of the sway movement to give a good ride as long as all the other suspension parts are good.

tarifachris

Last year I replaced the bushings with greaseable poly bushings and after 3000 miles I can confirm they work great...To achieve the right angle I had to use some massive 10 mm spacer - the driving is so much better!