finally getting started on boohoos folly

Started by boohoo222, January 28, 2017, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gearhead88

tmsnyder

That roof is two solid sheets of aluminum with a seam down the center if it's like my Holiday Rambler.   Just did mine this summer, took off the A/C units, vents, covers etc, cleaned all the penetrations and joint really well, and brushed on 2 part EDPM liquid rubber only on the seam and penetrations.   I did not see a reason to put rubber coating over healthy aluminum unless it had a hole punched in it or was at the seam. 

boohoo222

hi tmsnyder, after I got it home after buying it I noticed that it had hundreds of dime size dents in the roof, hail storm is my guess, and to be safe I'm gonna do the whole roof
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

Winnebago Warrior 94

My roof has a few tiny holes in it ..it is a metal roof ..I assume something  landed on it like a limb or maybe the little holes are from pine tree straw staying on the roof for years ..lime I'm thinking  the acid from the pine straw may eat the metal from staying there years and years and moisture  from years of it left on the roof .that are minor ..I plan on using the black jack elastomeric   roof sealer for mine ..I already used the caulk they have for it ..hubby just got breaks fixed so I can move it out n the field to do the roof coating so leaves don't get it when I apply it ..have yall ever used the flex shot caulk in the can ..I got some of that to seal around the trim on my front windows ..I have a slight water leak there ..do yall recommend  that for that ? I also saw the have a flex seal rubber roof coating there too and clear spray on flex seal ..has anyone  ever  used these products  and do they work any better than silicone   caulk   or does the rubber roof sealer work any better than the elastomeric   roof coating ..what is the difference 

Rickf1985

I know a couple of people here have used the flex seal but I cannot speak for them but I can say stay as far from any silicone product as you possibly can!!!!!!!!!!!!

stanDman111

what might be the reason for your advise rick=just curious?

legomybago

Use Eternabond tape on the holes, then coat with Elastomeric roof sealant. 2 or 3 coats. I wouldn't use a Flex Seal product for nothin....
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Silicone is not really for RV's it does not stand up to the movement, expansion and contraction and worst of all, it does not adhere to the metal of fiberglass of the coaches for more than a year or two but anything you try to replace it with will not adhere due to the residual silicone left behind. And that stuff is impossible to get off. I have tried everything on the market designed to do it plus a bunch of stuff not designed for it. You will never get all of the residual silicone off the old surface. And if you figure you will just replace it with more silicone, that will not adhere to old silicone either. So, THAT is why I give that advice. Personally I use polyurethane caulk. It is pricey but you get what you pay for and I have had very good luck with it.
Terry has put up a couple posts about the importance of preparation for caulking and it is very good advice to follow, Just like painting, the prep work is everything.

stanDman111

legomybago

And don't use "Black Jack" on an rv roof either. I've see it a ton over the years and it's just a mess.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Winnebago Warrior 94

Quote from: legomybago on April 07, 2017, 09:47 AM
And don't use "Black Jack" on an rv roof either. I've see it a ton over the years and it's just a mess.
are you talking about the black jack white siliconized elastomeric  roof coating  "Ultra Roof " or are you talking  about another one of there products ?  On the flex seal is was saying it was rubber .didn't know if that was different  than silicone ?

boohoo222

hi yall, been real busy with a tornado that took down some trees and ripped the porch roof off my house and set it on the roof of my house, then had lots of 60 mph winds and heavy rains from hurricane Irma, but some good news, my flex seal roof does not have any leaks at all, the HR is as dry as can be :)clap :)clap  replacing 3 fan belts today, and trying to decide if I need to hook up batt. cable that comes from duel batterys but is hanging loose up front near cranking batt
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

boohoo222

well todays progress....finished replacing 3 belts on 454...replaced air filter...replaced filter in side of air filter housing...cut large hole in fenderwell to gain access to master cylinder $@!#@! ...made panel to cover the large hole...replaced generator air filter...replaced cranking batt for 454...oh and got stung by hornet while changing batt, ...and to top the day off broke a rib while putting 3rd belt on... D:oH!

CapnDirk

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

boohoo222

changed oil and filter on generator, ran it for 1 hour with air cond (2) running