tv antenna, what do you use

Started by boohoo222, January 25, 2017, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnDirk

Thanks Ralph!  Very informative.  I'm seeing Yagi's on eBay for $15 so what the heck.  I just picked up a 26 inch Samsung with optic audio out, usb, and 2 HDMI for $60, and hooked it up to a Goodwill Samsung Blue Ray smart player that has WIFI.  Already have internet TV for the motorhome for $75.  Now looking for 2.1 speakers that have optic in, but they usually are PC analog in with optic reserved for soundbars (trying to do satellite speakers in the overhead storage with the base box in the box where the old tube tv was.  Neat and clean with nothing showing with the overhead doors closed.

Wish I could find a way to get everything running on 12 volt.  Some of the smaller tv's use a wall transformer that is usually 19 volt, soundbars at 5 or 24 volt.  Have not researched dvd players on lower voltage.

To all contributing to this, it was my understanding that the "different" antenna that corporate america was trying to sell us was to facilitate reception of weaker UHF channels from the small antenna.  Yes/no?
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

CapnDirk

P.S.
Can't count how many times I got busted for not returning kitchen items from the shop.  Just yesterday I had to throw out a kitchen hand towel because it somehow got battery acid on it.   :D
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Elandan2

We installed a 19" Insignia TV and an LG Blu-Ray player in ours. They are both 12 volt and actually operate better than they did with the inverter. The inverter seemed to cause interference on some of the TV stations. For audio, we run the headphone output on the TV to a car stereo with an aux input on the front. That improves the sound considerably. Rick 
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

CapnDirk

Elanden:

Were they intended to be 12V or did you mod them?  Spent hours researching inverters yesterday, and battery consumption.

Do you have the old antenna running the TV, or the newer one that supposedly gets better UHF.

Elandan2

Both those units had 12 volt coming out of their converters going to the TV and disc player. All I did was check to find out the polarity of the plug going into the units. and then hooked them up to a 12 volt circuit. For my antenna, I use one of those King Controls "Jack" antennas mounted on my old Winegard crank up mast. I have always been impressed with the reception. In the driveway, we get 48-50 channels!!
The TV is an Insignia 19" Model NS-19E430A10 and the Blu-Ray is an LG Model BP-250.
Rick

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck