tv antenna, what do you use

Started by boohoo222, January 25, 2017, 08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boohoo222

trying to decide what type antenna to use now that tv signals are hd, if the one that came on rv will not work with hd reception I'm thinking of removing it,,, any ideas
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

M & J

I refer you to the search window above. Many threads with all your answers already exist.
M & J

boohoo222

thanks m+j, I did do search and read all but most were a few years old , was wondering if anything had changed
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

DRMousseau

OH MY! I would LOVE a satellite dish system,.... a billion channels, internet access, ahhhhhhh.

But with a rather small budget, I make do with the ORIGINAL OEM crank-up that's still functional after all these years. I have a backup "digital panel" antenna that I used in my previous RV, and I'm using it now because "my bubble" doesn't have room to "crank up" the OEM. I jus place the panel in a window somewhere close. Here on the far edge of "The DEAD Zone" currently, I only bring in a handful of broadcast channels anyway,... and most are redundant! BORING!!!!! And I use about 10g of phone data a month, seeking Wi-Fi for the notebook where ever I can. I'm actually worse than most teens when it comes to this sorta technology,... and I still dream of that satellite system!!! I gotta check some of those posts myself!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

boohoo222

I would love a sat system too but the prices are out of my range, ive got the original crankup still on the hr and a friend gave me a clear tv antenna you just stick to window

M & J

I'm in "the business" so to speak and as far off air broadcasting nothing much has changed. Most everyone uses the RV Wingard crankups. Some have picked up the flat panels but the HD  or digital specialty antennas are just  hype and marketing poo.
M & J

boohoo222

thanks m+j, you just saved me money, ill just use what I have

DRMousseau

They'll work as good any, eh. I also use a phone app to locate towers within' a reasonable distance, and of course a TV guide app so I know when the big games and races are on.

And if they don't work,... get a fishin rod or two! I also gotta an e-bike, to dash about and swap DVDs with folks. LoL!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

boohoo222

:)rotflmao I always got my fishin rods and tackle with me , fresh and salt water :P

tmsnyder

DrM:  You use about 10g of data per month, how much TV watching does that cover?  This would be NetFlix, Hulu, etc and streaming live channels like CNN?  Very interested, not just for RV'ing but also for home, if it's reasonable I'd consider ditching my $140 a month cable bill and just using phone data for streaming shows and off-air TV for the rest.

But is that for just a couple hours a week? Or more like several hours a day?

EldoradoBill

Quote from: boohoo222 on January 25, 2017, 08:46 PM
trying to decide what type antenna to use now that tv signals are hd, if the one that came on rv will not work with hd reception I'm thinking of removing it,,, any ideas
If the antenna worked on analog signal it will work on digital. The problem is that instead of snow and ghosts now you get blank screen. Might just need a signal booster.

CapnDirk

Just went through this, the Wingards before HD will work but need a signal boost to work well.

Wingard has an add on called a wingman which attaches directly to the bottom of your antenna,  cost is about $35 on Ebay.  But I decided to get the whole replacement Sensar IV head which was $52.  Read alot on the rv forums about HD antennas, and the bat wing Sensar IV seems to be the best bang for the buck with very favorable reviews.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

boohoo222

thanks capndirk, my winegard has a signal booster attached from factory, I guess ill just have to wait till I can try it and see how it works, if it dosent work that well then ill look into those you suggested

ClydesdaleKevin

We use a Wingard designed for digital along with the Wingman attachment for over the air TV, and it works fine if you are near a major town or city.  But mostly we use Dish satellite service with a Tailgater self tracking thingamajob.  Works great!!!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DRMousseau

(sigh)Now I'm thinkin of that satellite system again,... thanks Kev (longer sigh)

Quote from: tmsnyder on January 26, 2017, 07:56 AM
DrM:  You use about 10g of data per month, how much TV watching does that cover?  This would be NetFlix, Hulu, etc and streaming live channels like CNN?  Very interested, not just for RV'ing but also for home, if it's reasonable I'd consider ditching my $140 a month cable bill and just using phone data for streaming shows and off-air TV for the rest.

But is that for just a couple hours a week? Or more like several hours a day?

I'm much worse than most teens when it comes to cell phones. A tech geek since a teen myself long, long ago.  Yes, that is indeed several hours a day with minimal streaming of such that you mentioned, don't have time for that stuff, lol. You'll find me on social media, and other forums... but txt, news, research, shopping and comparison, banking and bills, and various studies of personal interest can eat up a lot!!!! IT IS less costly than what I had once spent on other sources,... magazines, books, library visits, seminars and more. It's jus so nice having such an amazing item in my pocket, from flashlight and level to weather and map guidance, I truly max my phone to it's limits!!! And don't bother me during Daytona,... got enough with multiple computer screens, phone in hand and tv tuned in to it all! Don't wanna miss anything!

yup,... satellite system would be nice. DANG IT!!! Thinkin about it again!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

ClydesdaleKevin

Dish has a pay as you go plan with no contract, although having the contract makes it cheaper...and they have it set up now where you only pay for the channel blocks you want.  With HBO and Stars, I think we pay around 60.00 a month.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tarifachris

I removed the TV part and replaced it with an Yagi WIFI Antenna.

With the winegard turn mechanism I can reach easy 300 yards away Wifi Router, which nobody with WIFI boosters
can reach.

Currently where I stay, nobody from 400 Campers has WIFI, because only in the Campground office is a router.
No problem with my Yagi WIFI, I aim the antenna at the office from 300 yards and have 5 bars WIFI access.

I don't watch TV anyway, but like to have internet access...

(I have software on my laptop where I can see all wifi spots and I turn the antenna to the best signal etc.)

CapnDirk

You HAVE to post more about this!   :)clap   I see me getting a second crank up mast for a WIFI antenna!
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

M & J

M & J

CapnDirk

Thanks M&J, didn't know it had been discussed, but some links dead.

I wonder if I could get away with strapping the Yagi below the Sensar IV.  point it one direction for of air TV, and another for WIFI?

Ralph?

Rickf1985

WIFI is just a different radio frequency so no reason it would not work.

Rickf1985

THAT part I did not know, I would have done it that way for clearance. :D

CapnDirk

Thanks to both Rick and Ralph.   I should have remembered the right angle consideration from my telecom wiring days (if we HAD to cross a 110 line in the wall with cat 5 we would make sure it was a right angle and use a piece of that plumbing pipe insulation to separate them a bit)

If I understand you completely Ralph.  Put an extension on the Sensar mast to have the Yagi above it and at a right angle, and keep in mind which way the 90 was relative to the Sensar so as to head in the right direction when hunting for the WIFI radiator?

DaveVA78Chieftain

As was said earlier, you do not need a fancy wingard to pickup digital TV.  My original 1970's Braund Skyliner that came with my Winnebago works just fine on VHF or UHF.

As far as WIFI, I built a el-cheapo parabolic

instructables - Usb Wifi Antenna
[move][/move]

Elandan2

And the Mrs. still can't find the kitchen sieve... :D
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck