Size really does matter......

Started by HVACguy, January 19, 2017, 09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVACguy

Hello folks,

So my first RV will be 27' Class C. I am curious to know if 27' will get into most camp areas, when does size become restrictive? I know I could spend some time researching, but figured some of ya'll would know this. Thanks for any replies!

TerryH

I've had a 27 for a number of years and never had a problem with any sites. Remember, your actual wheelbase is far less than overall length. If you are worried practice in a shopping centre parking lot using pylons, rocks, pots and pans etc. Outside spotter will help, provided they realize if they cannot see you in your mirrors you cannot see them. It is, as a rule, easier to back into a spot, based on points of articulation of you vehicle. Newbie truck/semi drivers often find they can back into a spot that they cannot pull out of forward.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

DRMousseau

I luved my 21' Brave,... "a tiny cabin/cottage" that fit jus about anywhere including a single space in the grocery parking lot. Then I jumped to a 34' "rolling upstairs apartment"!!! That meant a double space on the parking lot FRINGE with other RV's now.

North Michigan has many little rustic campgrounds along rivers, streams and lakeshores. A small fee of about $15 a night now, nothing but vault toilets and a iron water pump with anywhere from a several small sites to more than a few dozen that can accommodate SOME RV's, like the li'l Brave. But now, it's best that I first take a walk thru or ride my bike,.... to check out overhead obstructions, site size and "access". Backin' in a 34'er can be tricky or near impossible! But in general, these li'l campgrounds, intended for REAL campers, like tents and small trailers, usually have something to accommodate me,.... I don't need extra space for a vehicle fortunately, and I take every inch of room in some spots. I sorta feel outa place in many of these areas,.... and folks probably dread my appearance in anticipation of a noisy genny and AC runnin' day and night, so I DO keep those to even LESS than minimum in respect of those who came to enjoy the quietness of these hidden gems.

IMO,... these are probably the smallest li'l campgrounds your gonna find, and your 27 would probably be a comfortable max in such places with far less concerns than me squeezin' in my "Glamping" apartment!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

TerryH

Consideration of your neighbors goes a long way and makes for a far more enjoyable stay.
Also, a 'walk thru first' is highly recommended.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

CapnDirk

I believe the limit at a lot of campgrounds (Federal?) was 30 feet.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

beaverman

Many state parks & forest service have a smaller size limit as their campgrounds were developed before land yachts became popular!

khantroll

There are a lot of older/rustic campgrounds that have a length limit as low as 25ft. It really depends on the terrain and infrastructure around the park, and you just have to scope it out or call ahead.

ClydesdaleKevin

Most of the State Park and National Forest websites will tell you the size restrictions for campsites.  You shouldn't have many problems anywhere with 27 feet.  When in doubt, call ahead.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.