No power to Clearance Lights

Started by LJ-TJ, January 10, 2017, 11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

$@!#@! Ok so I have a 1975 21' Brave. I have no clearance lights front, back, sides and I have no power to them. So my question is where do the wires come out to hook up for power. Under the rear bed? Under the dash. Any ideas what the color of the wires are? I have the factory wiring diagram but the print is so small I can't make heads or tails out of it. Plus I don't know if my ares is punched, bored or sucking wind when it comes to wiring. D:oH!

Warren

Power comes from the dash light switch.   I just replaced several on a '72 D18 Brave, and the wire colors were possibly
red?  Some PO had painted in the area and covered most of the exposed wires.  The lights usually ground to the
sheet metal, that they are attached to.  Not the best system.  If you are going to add wiring, I would run a separate ground wire.    Grote makes the best, and they can be had from zoro.com (grainger) https://www.zoro.com/grote-clearancemarker-lamp-round-yellow-45413/i/G0421504/?gclid=CPDGnbbSuNECFQ13fgodXxgPoA&gclsrc=aw.ds   

Also check the oval types from Grote.   On the 72 Brave, there were (4) oval clearance lights in the corners, and (5)
each on top, front and back.

Also, two turn signal oval amber lights, about 'mirror high' on the left and right front.

DaveVA78Chieftain

TJ
Is the drawing one of the ones in the Member area?  If not, you need to attach it to a post.  On my 78, the house wiring connects in at floorboard at the base of the steering wheel.
Based on the 75 brochure, the wiring from the roof would come down the access area behind the fridge and though floor then down the drivers side frame rail to the steering wheel area then back up through the floorboard to the wire bundles at base of steering wheel.
Are just the roof clearance lights out and the front and rear tail lights OK?  Check wiring connector behind fridge
Roof and front / rear tail lights bad - Either a blown fuse, bad headlight switch, or short in the wiring.  A shorted bulb (water intrusion corroding the bulb connector) anywhere in the path can cause a fuse to blow.
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Thanks Dave, It's just the clearance lights on the roof that junk and I can't seem to get any power to them from out side. I have know idea were to even begin to look on the inside to start. D:oH! Hm?

CapnDirk

TJ:  Clearance lights only bad? 

All exterior (clearance) lights with the headlight switch in that position (park lights only) would likely be on the same circuit.  I think Dave is suggesting a common fault location.  Not being entirely familiar with your RV are SOME exterior lights working and others not?
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

No none of the lights around the top work $@!#@!

Elandan2

TJ, does yours have one of those "ICC Blink" switches on the dash? As I recall, they are setup to just blink the clearance lamps. May be a problem there.  Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

C&T2

I had that problem too - shortly after I bought it the marker and the dash lights quit working. Headlight switch ended up being the culprit for me. Futzing around with it I could occasionally get life. New one is pretty inexpensive... i??

CapnDirk

If lower lights work (parking/turn assemblies I would suspect a ground, if not then the headlight switch. 

A 12V ice pick tester is very helpful, you could test the lines at the back of the headlight switch.  Someone else brought up a good point, do you have dash lights?
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"