Author Topic: How long will an 80lb. propane tank last?  (Read 564 times)

Offline lilwil99

• I own: a Motor Home
  • Year: 1987
  • Make: winnebago
  • Model: Windcruiser
  • Chassis: chevy
  • Engine: 454
How long will an 80lb. propane tank last?
« on: January 01, 2017, 03:01 PM »
Does anyone know how long a 80lb propane tank last on a 87 Windcruiser?

Wil.......

Offline HamRad Mobile

• Make: Winnebago
  • Model: Elandan WCP31RT
  • Chassis: GMC P37 Motor Home Chassis
  • Engine: Chevy 454 cid V8 "LE8" Gas
Re: How long will an 80lb. propane tank last?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 05:18 PM »
Good morning, Wil; 

The ASME propane tanks for motor homes and other similar RVs are pretty durable.  Most of them are mounted horizontally, and if you keep some propane in them, there is very little chance of having them collect moisture inside them that might cause problems.  Something to check is the outside of the tank where spray, de-icing chemicals, road salt, and similar chemicals can work on the exterior of the tank over time.  Look between the body of the tank and any holding straps also.  That will be a sensitive area. 

Unlike the USDoT approved propane cylinders for portable use, the ASME tanks do not yet have at this time any regular inspection and testing period, like the required 12 year testing period for the USDoT propane cylinders. 

Probably the main thing you will want to check is the valves, hoses, fittings, and the regulator for any leaks and proper functioning.  The commercial bubble solution for painting or spraying onto the fittings and things is pretty good at showing any problems with the integrity of those connections.  Some kind of a low pressure gauge will be needed to confirm that the regulator is still providing the 11 inch Water Column or 6.5 Ounces per Square Inch regulated pressure for the propane appliances.  One way to make a quick test of the regulator pressure while flowing a high volume of propane is by turning on a burner on the kitchen cooking stove, and then turning on the propane fired furnace also.  Watch the cook stove burner.  If it stays nice and blue and stable while the furnace comes on, the propane regulator is probably OK at full flow.   Again, this is just a quick check.  The truly definitive test will be one with the low pressure gauge fitted to the system while testing at the high flow rate also. 

Enjoy; 

Ralph 
          Latté Land, Washington 

Offline M & J

• Make: Tiffin
  • Model: Allegro
  • Chassis: P-30
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 05:53 PM »
Are you asking how the tank itself will last or how long 80 lbs. of propane will last before refilling?
M & J

Offline lilwil99

• Make: winnebago
  • Model: Windcruiser
  • Chassis: chevy
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 08:21 PM »
How long the 80lbs. last?

Offline Oz

• "So let it be written; so let it be done!"
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 10:52 PM »
That's a question which can't be given in terms of hours or days.  It all depends on your usage.  The only way to come close would be to know what all appliances you use with propane, their consumption rate, what settings you use, and for exactly how long.
Previously enjoyed our '74 - D24 Indian & '74 - D24 Indian Custom

Offline DRMousseau

• Make: 34' Georgie Boy
  • Model: Cruise Air II
  • Chassis: John Deere
  • Engine: Ford 460
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 12:50 AM »

Now THIS is a question of curiosity that may have the interest of some folks. We often compare mileage and to some extent electric power consumption,... but what of propane??? It's something I'd bet many have little concern of, since most seasonal and summer use is pretty minimal, even for me as a full-time year-around live aboard.

My "upstairs apartment on wheels" is actually quite comparable to my previous "rolling cottage/cabin" during summer months,... and very minimal in propane use really. But this time of year can be quite different, even the occasional weekend venture may need a bit more consideration of "jus how much propane will I be using?" "Will I have enough??" And Oz stated, it can be quite dependent on your appliances and their use, as ones level of comfort and convenience can be quite different from another's. And staying warm during winter outings can be pretty important!

FYI,... 1gal propane=4.24lbs, do any math ya need from here.

But I might offer an "extreme" of sorts. My Cruise Air II has a 100lb tank, and holds 22.5gal at 80%. Equipped with 2 furnaces (of which I only really use one), a 4-burner stove I occasionally use, and a typical hot-water heater that I only turn on when I anticipate the need for a shower, morning wash-up, dishes or whatever. I no longer have a propane refrigerator, but when I did, I found it to be minimal in propane use, even in summer. Heating for comfort is the biggest consumer of propane. During the cool late autumn season, when sunset brings cooler evenings and even colder nights,... my tank would last about 10days to 2wks or so (about 1.5-2gal a day). This is when the furnace begins to come into frequent use.

Currently,... the past 6wks have seen temps constantly below freezing, and frequently near zero!!!! My logs show that I use about 2.5gal of propane a day. I'm VERY comfortable, and other than a short exposed waste outlet, nothing has frozen up yet! Under such extreme conditions, I would expect your 80lbs to last ME about a week max!!!

What of others here?

Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

FULL Membership!

Want to start enjoying all the benefits  Full Membership has to offer?

Become a Full

Want to enjoy your

Full Membership

without ever having

to renew?

Become a:

* Salvage Yards

Find
RV Salvage Yards

By STATE

* Resources

Need parts and information?