Air in heat register 232 F.

Started by Fearless1, January 08, 2017, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fearless1

The air inside the register from the furnace was reading 232 F. I'm thinking (it happens.....Sometimes) that might be a tad to hot? i??  Thoughts or suggestions? Also the fan will come on (before it's hot) and air will be cold for a couple minutes, sometimes it doesn't get warm at all. The fan runs long after the fire is out and blows cold air for a couple minutes. I often have to turn the thermostat off, wait a couple minutes and turn back on before can get heat or to cut off fan blowing cold air.  i?? i??
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss
Be Alert!.....The world needs more lerts!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

DRMousseau

mmmmm,.... normal operation will see the fan come on, with blowing cold air "warming" as the furnace ignites. AND,... as the room warms to temp, the flame will extinguish, while the blower continues to cool the system for a bit. So coming on and blowing cold for a few minutes is normal,.... not warming up, or staying on blowing cold air, is a problem. And I'd suspect your igniter may need cleaning or likely replacement. Manually shutting it down and turning on again, forces a safety lockout to reset. I'm betting it may, or may not reignite and operate as normal, causing you to again shut it down and restart if it still blows cold.

I was curious as to jus what the local temps ARE around my furnace. After jus measuring them with a digital IR temp reader, the nearest outlet within 2' or so of the furnace, measures near 200degrees max at the opening. Most of the furnace housing itself reads about 180 or so. I may consider an additional inlet opening into my furnace bunker, as I feel this is awful warm temp in this area, and store absolutely NOTHING in this space.

Your 232degree readings do indeed seem excessive IMO. Have you ensured clear and adequate return flow??? Is your return cycling nearby heated air into your system rather than cold return flow???
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

CapnDirk

Having just been down the road with mine i'm a little familiar with the furnace (Dave also did a nice write up on the functioning of furnaces). 

That said, There is a deliberated delay of a few seconds when the thermostat calls for heat to blow out the burn chamber. With my new electronics this is about 4 seconds, and you will of course have a cold breeze during that time.  Gas valves open and igniter starts the flame.  When thermostat shuts off there is about 2 minutes of fan work to cool the heat core.  Again you have increasingly cool air during that time.

I would check to see if there are any obstruction where the furnace brings in its room air (side of the case)  the fan is cooling the heat core with air and sending the hot air into the room.  lower airflow would allow the heat core to get hotter, and the over temp switch (inside the furnace) could kick out making a restart problematic until cool.

Other than that, an intermittent problem with the thermostat (about $15-20) or the control board (about $85-120)
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Fearless1

Been sick, boon docking out in my 30 ft. travel trailer, with heat, precious heat.  :)clap It really sucks up the gas and the amps though. Just tried the furnace again, 1st time, fired right up.....Gremlins?  i?? i?? i??
Fearless1 - Just like my 26 lb. "Texas Miniature Chihuahua," Bambi-aka-Miss Priss

DRMousseau

Yup,.... eats up those amps!!! And REAL coldness is gonna burn some LP in a jus a couple days!!! As a year around home, I run thru about 2-2.5gal of propane during the "heating season". Since I'm sorta snowed in for winter and jus can't run into town to fill the on-board tank every 2wks, I ordered a 100gal tank the local propane company set up for me,... I'm "parked" for the season beside my daughters driveway.

I REALLY hate cold!!!
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

Fearless1

Hey Doc, You run through 2-2.5gal of propane during the "heating season"; You mean a day?  :)rotflmao   Boon-docking, at the start of the "heating season" I had about 1/2 full on-board 100# tank, with 2 100# tanks outside (Where Else?)  i??  I've used all the on-board and 1 1/2 of the others, and we still have a ways to go in NC til spring. I refilled the empty. Just bought a little old pick-up for that very thing. A whole lot more convenient.  :)clap  Stay Warm!  :)ThmbUp   :) :) :)

DRMousseau

Yes, that's 2-2.5gal of daily use, here in The Northern Winter Wonderland!!!

That's only about 10days or so with the onboard 100# tank. I had only wanted a 100# auxiliary outside to run into town with every couple weeks, but the local supplier offered to set up the 100gal with no extra fees or costs. Same low price for propane, no delivery fees and no hassles runnin' into town on slick roads every other week, jus a phone call and they drop by to fill me up when needed, with an invoice. That 100gal tank holds nearly 5 times more than a 100 pounder,... been really nice.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor