Reasonable # of Miles per Day?

Started by tmsnyder, January 05, 2017, 01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmsnyder

In a Class A RV, planning a coast to coast trip next summer.   What is a reasonable number of miles to expect to travel each day of driving?   

I'm thinking that our hard driving days would be 8 hours on the road, and easy days might be 3 hours or so.   

Or would we be better off doing 20 hour drives, then rest for a couple days? 

What are typical average trip speeds?  I'm thinking 50mph is pretty typical considering breaks and fillups.   

How do you plan your long trips, if you do plan them?

CapnDirk

My class A seems comfortable at 55 or better (depends on road and congestion).  Even with the bad gas millage, our tanks are going to go 350-450 miles, and that's 7-8 hours. 

I gave your same question some thought, and arrived at working it out to fuel AT a place to rest (not always possible).  IMO work out your route, how far your tank will go, is rest (overnight parking) available there.  If you want to go further than the tank, plan B is where is the rest, and then the next day how far to the fuel.

IMO cross country IS rocket science  :D .  Do the math.  Is the destination the goal?  or the trip from point A to B?  Meaning do you want to enjoy the trip or get there?  Adjust math accordingly.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

Well first it's nice to have a destination but the fun is from point A to point B. It's not the Destination .....it's the Journey that's all the fun. Realistically we've got a 440 in a 21'er 1975 Winnebago. I get 5 to 7 miles to the gallon and LJ gets between 8 and 10. Go figure. We usually figure a buck a mile. Figured it a million time and still end up with about a buck mile. We get up in the morning and grab a nice breakfast and then hit the road. Were ever were at by noon and depending how we feel or how many times we've stopped we'll stop for lunch or pick it up on the fly. We'll tour on till around six in the evening and call it quits. Gab a bite to eat, taking in a movie or do a little dancing, read a book and call it a night. As a rule of thumb we have a great time and are rested at destination. Really we've found the fun to be in the trip between A and B rather than at B. i?? :)ThmbUp

TerryH

Having travelled numerous times cross Canada and a fair amount in the US I have found a basic formula of 45 miles travelled per hour of driving works well. Accounts for fuel, food, short rest and dealing with pets. Does not account for view/etc, stops.
Main thing is to enjoy the drive. If you have a set schedule, you would have to follow it. If not, who cares? Stop when and where you  see an enjoyable stop.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

tmsnyder

We're leaning towards some harder travel days with a stop or two for fun.  Then several days at a campground.   Then another travel day or two, followed up by a campground stay, and repeat.

The 45 mph average is a useful number.   My 50 is probably too optimistic for an rv. 

I like the idea of resting at the fill-up station.  Well lit, not very busy at night.  We have good curtains made for the RV which keeps out most light.  And having just filled up with 80 gallons of fuel, they shouldn't have a problem letting me park in a far corner from 12am - 8am while I catch some sleep.  Smart.

I also am a fan of night driving, the air is cooler so everything runs better, no one on the road so it's very non-stressful.  And it doesn't waste the kids time, they'll be sleeping and getting ready for fun the next day.  Especially if it ends somewhere where we'll be for a few days, they won't even miss me for a few extra hours of sleep that first day.

I _think_ that 400 miles in a day if the roads are reasonable, is a reasonable number for what I'm calling a travel day.  Probably around 8-10 hours behind the wheel.  And this allows for stops to get out for sightseeing, a nice lunch or dinner stop.  Does that seem like a reasonable way to think about travelling a long trip for a family?

beaverman

A couple of things to consider, if your trying to sleep in a fuel / truck stop, your dealing with trucks pulling in and out all night along with trucks idling all night or reefers running, now some truck stops you MAY be able to park away from the noise but don't count on it, and truckers could care less about you and your RV, I've talked with a few folks who have been pinned in between trucks for hours waiting to leave while the drivers were either to deep in sleep or not even in their rigs! Not all Wal marts, Cracker Barrels, Lowes etc.  allow overnight parking because of city ordinances so be aware of that, BLM, National Forests, Army Corps of engineers have free camping areas although some of those may be fee areas, if their fee areas they are usually a nominal price compared to RV parks.  Some small towns have free camping in city parks along with county parks, County Fair grounds also have camping for a fee but again usually cheaper than RV parks.  the 45 miles of travel an hour is a good average number considering that the kids will need to run along with you giving your butt a break every once in awhile, once you get away from major cities and towns traffic won't be a problem, if your traveling interstates hammer down and you'll make good time, if your traveling smaller 2 lane highways you'll be a bit slower but usually a more relaxed and scenic drive, do a couple trips before your big one to work out the bugs, most of all enjoy the experience!  oh yea bring a roll of duct tape for the kids!  :)rotflmao

LJ-TJ

Beaverman made some good points. Once you get out on the road you'll be like water. You'll find your own comfort level. A real good point is take the secondary roads off the interstates. Way more relaxing and a lot more to see.

tmsnyder

I have the following 11 'travel' days planned:

353, 282, 422, 400, 348, 475, 394, 244, 230, 260, 270 = 3700 miles total

It's going to be a 24 day trip.

So there will be 13 days when the wheels aren't moving, 4-5 at Yellowstone, 4-5 at a bluegrass festival, the others are TBD and probably won't be until we are rolling into an area.  We joined Harvest Hosts, and that seems really great.  We may plan all the other stops around those sites; they are wineries, breweries, farm markets, and museums.  Adding in the occasional Walmart and gas station where needed and I think we'll have those nights covered.   Trying to stay flexible as much as possible, don't want to book any of these nights b/c if there's a breakdown it may throw off all these plans and we might have to slide the schedule around a bit.  Trying to stay flexible.

Also planning on staying at a hotel or two for the kids to splash in the pool and for us to get good showers, etc.

One idea we are kicking around is the thought of picking up an older small convertible, like a cavalier.  With them being front wheel drive and only a little over 2000 lb, we could drag one along on a tow dolly which I could borrow.  This might be useful for getting around the national parks b/c I think some of them don't allow RVs to drive around in them.  Also for grocery runs if we're set up at a campground or sightseeing runs from the campground.  And also in case of a break-down, for use as a parts runner.  Obviously there are down-sides.  It means dragging an extra 2000 lbs along, and there will be hills, so it'll be harder to drive/maneuver, worse fuel mileage, longer travel times.  And it means another vehicle to potentially break down on us.

Is there a really good reason to bring along a toad?  I'm leaning towards keeping it simple, and just taking our bikes along.  A cell phone and a credit card covers the emergency parts run.   Worst case I could ride my bike to the nearest parts store.  Without the car, we might not be able to get to some of the sights in Yellowstone, but I'm not sure.  Maybe it's fine to take the RV in and around the park?

CapnDirk

I have already purchased a tow dolly for my motorhome and a Chevy Tracker to hang on the back.  The idea being it's way more maneuverable and better gas millage for running around.  It would be an interesting bit of data to make a test run over 100 miles both with and without the toad to see just how badly it effects the gas millage.

Another thing to consider would be a small trailer like for a wave runner and a scooter on it.  Can run parts, groceries, and sight see.  Just a thought.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

beaverman

SEMPER GUMBY!  (always flexible), you might want to look at the cost difference between the cost of the toad and the extra fuel versus a couple day rental for the sight seeing!

tmsnyder

Yes!  I came to the same conclusion!  Better off to rent a car for those locations where the RV is impossible to use for sightseeing.   We lose the safety net of having a parts runner but cash makes up for that.

ClydesdaleKevin

Driving an RV long distance can be exhausting and nerve wracking, unless you take it easy.  I never like to travel more than 6 hours a day, and I keep my highway speed down to around 50mph in the slow lane.  You also have to take into account high winds and inclement weather.  If the winds are gusty...as they usually are traveling across the country on I-10, I-20, or I-40...you'll sometimes be driving as slowly as 30mph on the highway, or even pulling in for the night early.

Take your time, don't over do it, and enjoy the trip!  Enjoy seeing our beautiful country and don't try to rush.  If you don't have to stick to a schedule, don't.  Been doing this a long time.  Trust me.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Surfinhurf

Coast to coast means crossing mountain ranges, unless your MH is new, or runs/handles like new with fuel injection, you will lose time and fuel economy climbing and descending. Heat is always an issue. Early morning and night driving will help in Hot environments. I tend to baby my '77, even though the drivetrain is new, she is old.  I don't drive more than 8 hrs a day.

Have Fun!
HURF

DRMousseau

I live alone in my "rolling upstairs apartment",... and with few exceptions, I'm usually traveling alone too!!! I stop when I'm hungry, weary, need gas or whenever I feel like it. I travel at speeds that are comfortable and appropriate. I wait out rush hours sometimes, and take a nap when I feel like it. But I still have to think of those who have loving concerns of me. "When do you expect to be there?" "Where ya goin' to stop for the night???" "How far are ya? Any problems? Where ya at???"

And todays technology is WONDERFUL in addressing everyone's concern, including my own!!! I plan a broad and general itinerary, but stay pretty flexible. Loving family and friends can easily track and follow my progress. And I take advantage of that same technology with several "apps" and such to plan my whole trip day-to-day and even my hour-by-hour travel and ventures.

Weather, road and traffic conditions are primary to me,... timing is important and I try to plan in passing thru big cities and other areas with these concerns in mind. I may drive cooler evening, nights and early mornings in hot seasons, and wait out passing stormy weather fronts ahead of me. Fuel stops are next in my thoughts, with a watchful eye to economical purchases. And of course timing stops of comfort too,... rest areas, truck stops, maybe a restaurant, grocery, specialty stop or point of interest. Todays technology greatly simplifies these concerns.

I HAVE taken on "riders" in some trips, and of course there's the occasional exciting adventures with family and friends. I still rely on the same technology to make such journeys as pleasant and as enjoyable as possible for EVERYONE!!!

IN GENERAL,.... I usually figure about 50miles per hour of "drive time". And about 6-8hr of "drive time" a day on average. Now I usually find that I underestimate this,... boredom and comfort MAY often extend my daily drive time, and of course having additional drivers may cover more miles too!! And I have had my delays,... although a well equipped "garage", various backup systems, and a lifetime of skills has kept these to a minimum.

Always nice to plan SOMETHING, expecting the best and prepared for the worst!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Sasquatch

If I am trying to get to a destination and not concerned with the journey at that point, I stay on interstates and have done many 5-600 mile days.  3-400 is comfortable and more relaxed and can even take in some sights along the way.  Of course this all depends on many factors, how comfortable your rig is, reliability (yes, they break), other factors like pets, spouse, kids, etc,.

The best bet is to let your "plans" be fluid.  Crank out miles on days where you are traveling through boring scenery, slow down on days where there are things to see.  Some days you will be hindered by a failure that needs to be addressed.  Go with it and do not let it stress you out.  I had an unplanned week last month in Kingman, AZ getting a transmission rebuilt.  It happens.  Make the most of it, take the downs in stride with the ups.

When I am destination bound, I make a list ahead of time of all the Walmarts along the route that allow over night stays complete with exit numbers and directions.  I have used truck stops as well, but their parking is getting scarce and out of respect, I try to avoid them so that truckers can have their spots.  I have also just pulled along a curb in business districts, shopping malls, etc.  So far, I have never been asked to leave as long as I showed up after closing time and left first thing in the morning.  I do not consider that camping, just sleeping.  But my favorite so far is Walmarts.  Even in areas with "rules" against it many times the Walmart employees still encourage sleep stops by turning a blind eye to it.  The one in Kinman, AZ is an example.  It is even posted that you can not stay the night, but the store manager hates that rule and will not call the cops on you.  I see as many as 20 coaches and semi's in their parking lot almost every night.  I try to pay it back by buying something in the place where I stay. Easy with Walmarts, there is always something I need or could use.

Find a safe speed that your coach travels at.  For some it is 55, others 70.  It depends on the coach, driver, and environment.  Be comfortable, take breaks, plan for unexpected delays, and enjoy the trip.

tmsnyder

Thanks, I had initiated this post in the lead-up to a summer trip from Buffalo, NY to Yellowstone, then down to Las Vegas.   Was trying to plan driving vs. sightseeing. 

I found similar to what you just wrote.  300-400 is a reasonable drive day.  Leaves plenty of time to settle into a campground, get kids into the pool or onto bikes, have dinner and a camp fire, and still leaves room to stop a couple times for brief stops.

600 miles is a day of just driving.

Our 'big' trip last summer was:

1.  two days at the Ford Museum in Dearborne, MI
2.  4 days at Rhonda Vincent's bluegrass festival in Queen City, MO
3.  2-3 days in Mt. Rushmore area, Crazy Horse, black hills, badlands on way there.
4.  Rt 14 west over the Bighorns, then 7 days at Yellowstone
5.  2 days in Glacier Nat. Park
6.  1 day at Bryce (changed oil)
7.  Drove through Zion (HOT!)
8.  1 day at Arches
9.  Ended in Las Vegas

It was a 3 week trip, over 5000 miles, somewhere around 250 miles per day average.   We jumped on a plane and flew back after handing the keys to my brother and sis-in-law in Las Vegas.   They drove it back.  Total for trip was 8000 miles. 

We found state welcome centers to be wonderful spots to stop, get some sleep, and continue on.  Often they have free maps and fliers of things to do in the state.  Usually they have some sort of coffee vending machine to help get going in the morning.  At least one had a free dump station!   I didn't find any rest areas that were full when we wanted to stop and rest.

On a subsequent trip, I found that DOT inspection areas also offered a great place to catch some Zzzz's after they had closed for the day.  We found lots of trucks in there sleeping and we were gone before they opened the next day. 

We also found that searching the state park website (for whichever state you happen to be in or headed to) resulted in finding wonderful places to camp.  Usually these were First Come First Serve and there was always a place open for us.   Usually they had at least electric hookup, and always they were cheap, like $14 for the day.   I'm talking about camp grounds you never heard of and can't plan for b/c you might not know you're going to be in the area that night.

We do sometimes stay at gas stations that have enough parking way off to the side or in the back.  Usually there would be a truck or two there doing the same thing.

We are not a huge fan of Walmart overnights.  Too much traffic in and out.  But we do use them as a last resort.

We tried Harvest Hosts, which seemed like a great way to camp out at farm related businesses, wineries, museums.  Very inexpensive annual fee and then the camping is free.  You just are supposed to spend some money at the farm stand etc.    We found that we were never there when they were open.  We were usually arriving after they closed and leaving before they opened.  Might work for some people but not the way we traveled.