NEEDED: FEEDBACK ON HOW TO BEST MAKE A HOME FOR NEWER, VINTAGE RVers

Started by Oz, December 20, 2016, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

I like that idea Mark.  Hope you guys had a great Christmas!!!
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

I think that is all that is needed, But i would start it @ 1985  That is when computors were starting to be used in everything & and Fuel injection was normal . W% Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

CapnDirk

Quote from: Oz on December 26, 2016, 12:35 PM
Very enlightening info!  I had no idea there is still so much relative to the newer rigs aside from the chassis!

Maybe the focus and title of the site or addition to this one should be, "1990 and Newer"?  and really no need to create a separate site, since owners of the newer ones find their way here and do join?  That would enable them to access everything we already have without the need to duplicate it all on a separate forum.

Hm?

Got my vote. :)ThmbUp   Let them know that aside from a newer chassis issue, your answer may already be here.  IMO start at fuel injection year Which I believe was around 1990?  That alone constituted the biggest change in chassis and wiring.  Again, IMO.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Oz

Perhaps adding a TBI board in with the chassis boards?  How about "rear mounted drive engines" as well.
What about the other chassis brands?  Should I have a board for each?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

CapnDirk

If I remember correctly (that becomes more of a gray area as the gray matter gets older) TBI was only around for 2-3 years?  Others would know better.  Would it really be needed? 

If you want to define it that way (for engines, don't know if TBI had a great effect on chassis other than associated controls and fuel delivery), then perhaps carbureted --> TBI --> fuel injected chassis forums.  If we define by year specifically, the over lap on when chassis and body manufacturers adopted it may lend to confusion on the owners part in what he is looking for. 

How many times do we ask the person looking for an answer "what do you have?"

Not sure what to say on pushers,  Perhaps a suggestion "baby steps"  ;-)
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Oz

Most of the forum has been built on baby steps over the years and re-organized several times for best results.  Seems like a good way to approach it, yes. 

Froggy1936

Yes  And just incorporate all the additional Chassis, subsections, on slide outs , Rear Engine, Diesel, Fiberglass bodys etc.  the same way With just another heading like all the others The main title could be expanded Classic Winnebagos Vintage RV,s & Newer Stuff Too !  ??????????  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DaveVA78Chieftain

TBI and MFI are both Computer controlled Injection.  TBI was around from approximately 88 to 95 typically using OBD1 technology.  MFI replaced it using OBD2 technology.  Applies to GM (P30/G30), Dodge MB Series, and Ford F53/E Series chassis'.
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Hm? I don't no. If it ain't broke don't fix it. You no what happens when you got something good going and then you start tinkering around with it. You can please some of the people some of the time. And you can please some of the people all of the time BUT you can't please all of the people all of the time. In the pass I've seen where you've chewed people out for not posting in the right place. This is a great site as is and I know you got your hands full keep things sorted out now. Do you really want to open that Pandora's box. ???

legomybago

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on December 26, 2016, 10:32 PM
TBI and MFI are both Computer controlled Injection.  TBI was around from approximately 88 to 95 typically using OBD1 technology.  MFI replaced it using OBD2 technology.  Applies to GM (P30/G30), Dodge MB Series, and Ford F53/E Series chassis'.
I agree, if it's not carbureted, then it goes in this category. I personally wouldn't worry about separating TBI from MFI, they are both computer controlled. I can see Mark having to tell a lot of people to not post in OBD1 vs OBD2 forum....idk
We've seen a lot of confusion on fuel systems with internal tank fuel pumps and exterior frame mounted fuel pressure regulators/vs. mechanical fuel pumps with a built in fuel return system alone on this forum due to the overlapping years of rv manufacturers using older chassis on a "new" build. I can only imagine how this effected the fuel injected years....Oh, and we can't forget about "AUX" tanks!! lol
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

CapnDirk

I agree with Dave and Lego.  I did not know that TBI covered that many years of motorhomes.  That said, the points about them both being high pressure fuel systems and computer controlled (meaning the likely need for a code scanner) whether OBDI or OBDII it would make sense just to combine them, once again making it simpler and more compact.

Thanks for the info Dave

Oz

I don't really know if they would need to be a separate board at all really.  I think just adding chassis brands to the existing Dodge, Chevy, Ford would be fine.  It's been a long time since I added the board for "other" chassis, such as John Deere and it's had very little activity.

DRMousseau

I like the "90 and newer" idea. More of a special place of unique questions of recent technology, newer constructions and systems of late regulations, safety, and more recent requirements,.... a place of expanded ideas and unique solutions that would certainly be an enhancement to the info here.

I'm sure many have visited after a search as shown some pertinent info here to the common and/or unique problems that EVERYONE faces at one time or another. AND,.. I'd bet there'd be growth in those quiet areas (like John Deere/Freightliner) too!

After the Ol' Winnebago fell over, I jus happened to move into later '87 model of some obscurity. But even if was a '97 or '07,.... I'd still be here!!! Jus a great place to be!!!!
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Dunnohow2

I was going to suggest V.I.N. but I know my humourr has limited  appeal. I favour date but my 1992 was built on a 1991 f53. I'd chose chassis date.
Love jenni and Happy 2017.