NEEDED: FEEDBACK ON HOW TO BEST MAKE A HOME FOR NEWER, VINTAGE RVers

Started by Oz, December 20, 2016, 08:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

This is where my own knowledge ends... with the addition of fuel injection and the vast number of manufacturers, brands, and models which sprouted up everywhere.  And of course, the major addition of many diesel powered ones.

But as CapnDirk pointed out on another topic:
Quote...The chassis on most stayed the same for years and years.  The only big improvement for decades was fuel injection.  As someone pointed out, the appliances have not changed (stove, furnace, oven refrigerator) And now that I think of it the manufacturers must have enjoyed that.  About the only way you can tell the age on a motorhome is the different body they stuck on it

This leads me to think that there are still a lot of resources and methods here which can be used with the newer RVs as well.

I have, for several years already, pondered making accommodation for newer RVs, but again, it goes back to our niche and resources.  I could start a new forum, but that would be like starting all over again, with people joining with questions, and no one to answer them, and no tech resources to help either.  IMO, it would be better to add that aspect to this forum.  At least we have members who an already help in many aspects, and more will join.  This would actually be much easier for me as I am good at organizing and I could re-organize the forum so that owners of the current years focus and the owners of the newer ones wouldn't have to be scrolling all over to get to their specific boars.  The appliances and accessories can remain just as they are.  Just the chassis info is what really needs to be kept more specific.

Should the chassis boards be created like they are now, by make?  Should Gas and Diesel engines be separate boards aside from the actual chassis boars, or should each chassis board just include both or should they be sub-boards of each chassis brand?

Most of all, will it work as well as it has all these years with the potential addition of a couple thousand more members or more? It's very rare when we have questions which go completely overlooked or unaddressed.  We also have an extremely close knit community of people who are bonded and know each other through this website.  I do not want that to change for anything.

All thoughts, ideas, and feedback are greatly appreciated.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

legomybago

Yeah that's a tuff Oz. it seems like the 90's brought on quite a few different chassis like you said, and a large amount of them went belly up leaving mystery's and unobtainable parts resources. That's a big worm to take on I think. The ford P53 chassis is the dominate build platform for gas now, but they kind of skip over the 90's I believe??
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

Well! I think everybody by now knows I stick with the 66 to 78 eyebrow Winnebago's because that's what I know a little bit about and can sometimes add a little something to the conversation. There's a hole lot more motor homes out there other than Winnebago's and a hole lot more information out there. Mark you got to spent hundreds of hours working on this site to keep it organized. I just can't imagine you taking on more. I can see other guys coming to the site and posting and I'm not sure I would discourage it. But man your taking on a load. I mean you've even open the site to trailers. The question that needs to be asked is can you control it. You got a plate full now. Your the one who has to decide. I'm glad I'm not you. D:oH! N:( Hm? :( i?? $@!#@!

HandyDan

Well, I am one of those owners with no forum.  After running the 1984 Holiday Rambler for seven years, it finally let me down last Labor Day.  The people we camp with all have RVs with slide outs and my wife decided to we could use more room.  So I found a 1997 Newmar Kountry Star on a Ford F53 chassis right near our house that needed some TLC on the interior, but mechanically it was sound.  Plus the price was right.  So, we bought it.  iRV2 has a Newmar forum, but most of the people there have newer units that don't relate to 1997.  I tried the iRV2 Vintage RVs but it doesn't fit there, either.  I was hesitant to post anything here because it isn't  relevant to current discussions.  It is too new to be vintage but too old for modern units.  By the way, the HR is still at the mechanic's shop 100 miles away waiting on a new radiator. I still own it and can't help comparing it to the Newmar.  In my opinion the HR is much better made. But the Newmar is a giant leap in engine, convenience, and most of all, storage.  Although the slide provides much more room, it also brings about its own problems.
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

The P30 was produced by GM up through 97.  In 1990 GM went TBI using an OBD1 computer. Not positive however I think it stayed that way as long as GM produced the chassis.  Far as I know, multiport injection was not used in the RV chassis until OBD2 (post 96) after Workhorse took over the chassis.  OBD1 data is covered under the 91 chassis books on site.  My experience with OBD1 says using a laptop with TunerPro software is the best approach to troubleshoot things.  OBD1 fault codes leave a lot to be desired.  OBD2 is more robust.  Thats why I use TunerPro (my 92 Chevy Lumina van with a multiport injected 3.8L OBD1.  I even use TunerPro to troubleshoot the ABS brake system.  There is a learning curve though.

Workhorse took the P30 over after 97 until they phased them out several years later.   Workhorse did produce a wide track version. The GM 8.1 engine they used was phased out by GM without replacement which killed the gas chassis.  Workhorse documentation is hard to come by unless you are a registered owner.

John Deere was only in the range 89 - 93. The service and parts manuals we have basically covers all the years.  A large portion of that chassis uses Ford parts.  I have a hunch this was the precursor to the FOrd F53 chassis.  Had both gas and diesel chassis'.

The Ford F53 chassis, a cousin of the F750, has been around since the early 90's.  90's era was based on the 460ci engine.  Biggest hassle with the F53 chassis is access to technical documentation.  Really only available online for a monthly or yearly fee.  There are some very knowledgeable F53 people on IRV2 (under the vintage RV area).
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Hey I like to razz the NEWER guys about there rigs. But I have to agree this place is an increbable place for people and information. Especially when it come to fix'n older rigs. I don't think I've ever seen anybody who has come here turned away. I believe there's room for newer rigs but man your going to put a heck of a load on Mark to keep things sorted out. IF and that's a BIG IF he takes it on. Holy cow if you though he was crabby before. D:oH! :)ThmbUp :)rotflmao
I say welcome aboard guys lets see what happens.

legomybago

Yes Dave, thanks for straightening out my ruff rambles....There was also "Oshkosh" and a P34?? chassis rigs in the that era too. Personally I think the class A market was up for grabs during the early 90's and the RV manufacturers finally decided on the F53. (Or Ford supplied the chassis for the right price more likely....) Just thinking about all the different rear tag axle configurations, and air over hydraulic brakes systems makes me cry... :'(
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

tmsnyder

As time goes by, the year of something being 'classic' or vintage moves forward too.   Makes sense to add pages.   And those classics become antiques!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Ahh, the old P20/P30 designations questions  D:oH!

Like G30 Series Van chassis, P30 is also a Series designation.
P20 - lighter weight chassis used for some class c rigs.
P30 (00; VIN digit  7 = 2) = Cutaway cab (with  straight axle)
P30 (32; VIN digit  7 =7) = Class A Motorhome chassis
P30 (42; VIN digit  7 =?) = Step Van Chassis

The chevy manual uses P32 for Motorhome info; P42 for step van. RPO FS3 for the Cutaway cab
Both  Chevy and GMC produced the P30 chassis so, like camaro/firebird, there are a few different options for each.  Fortunantly, it's just a chassis so you have no body sheetmetal differences

Workhorse, originally a division of NAVISTAR until 2013, took over the GM P30 line in 1999 which ran through 2005 (the final end of the P30 series).   Workhorse built a custom gas wide track rv chassis with the designation W20, W22, W24, and W25.5.   They used the GM 8.1 (GM MTD truck line) in the W series.  When GM ended the MTD line in 2009 there was not enough demand for the 8.1 engine so GM production stopped which brought an end to the W series line also (no engine).  So, Ford with the F53, had the field to themselves once the W series was dropped.  Workhorse did continue with step vans and electric pickups.  There has been talk in the news of Workhorse getting back into the gas RV line (W16 and W22 chassis).  Time will tell.

John Deere and Oshkosh refer to the same chassis that was bought out by Navistar then sold to Freightliner.

Tag axles on gas rigs are normally a custom RV Mfg add-on.
[move][/move]

Froggy1936

A suggestion   Hm?  10 year  classifications   Antique 1966-1976   Classic 1977- 1987  Vintage 1988- 1998  New 1999- 2009   Membership limited to 15 yrs or older  Information listed For all models   Heater, refrigerator stove Roof A/C etc   Specific info for ea classification    Axels brakes transmissions steering etc  and so on   ??  Just a suggestion to help organize It will be a job   Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

CapnDirk

I'm with Frank on separation by year, and then in addition by manufacturer.  Then possibly by chassis, body, appliance (read fridge, furnace, etc) 

I think the average owner doesn't know you could pull the furnace out of 1985 and put it in a 2000 and visa versa so maybe try and steer people with equipment problems to the already existing information.  So the appliance sub category may be unnecessary.

In simplest terms (in my opinion) The manufacturer brought together three things.  The chassis, their body, the appliances/equipment.  That covers everything anyone could ask about, so those three things under Franks suggestion might keep it simple.  Or, a catagory of fuel injected and newer (not sure when the fuel injection started, and consider the TBI to just be a slightly different carburated engine ;)  Then devide by manufacturer.

Just my input, but everyone offering their input and then refining something out of all of it would lend the best result
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

LJ-TJ

All great ideas guys, I'm in favor BUT remember somebody has to do all the separating and categorizing and organizing. I do believe Mark has a full time job not to mention other obligation not to mention family commitments. It's all great stuff. WHO'S GOING TO DO IT. i??

Oz

It is a quandary as to handle it.  If it were incorporated here, it wouldn't be as difficult, but it seems that a separate forum would be best, but that would require a lot of set up time, member recruitment to build an active member base, and much more upkeep.  And the lack of technical resource material as well is a big issue in either case.

If I were retired, it would be a different story, but that will never happen.

Schmitti

I would have an idea or desire. I would prefer it, if the forum reference to Classic remains. I do not know how it is with you in the States and how the actual needs of forums is. Here in Europe, a forum has been dying for quite some time. Only special forums or niche forums are well visited and one also helps accordingly.

Of course you have to think about it and not forget the future. The current and current models are also older. If one is going to take the trouble and the beautiful forum, I would be doing this slowly and in Unterenen.

One category could be "more recent models / after 1990". Here I would not further after the year sort, but rather only after the manufacturer.

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

ClydesdaleKevin

How about a limited scope new Topic forum with its own icon?  Just like there is one for Full Timing, Travel, Items for Sale, etc.  Set up another "room" that covers later model specific posts, but with the caveat that appliance questions and the like should be made on the appropriate board?

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

HandyDan

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Elandan2

I like the idea of having a separate board for newer chassis, why not call the Chassis board we have now, "1989 and older Chassis" and create a new Board for "1990 and newer chassis and put up the appropriate sub boards, such as, Chevy, Workhorse, Ford, etc. Then you could just let it develop from there.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

What ever direction Mark goes, I'm sure it will be awesome!  Just look how awesome and organized CWVRVs already is!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

CapnDirk

IMO, it would be nice to start something for the newer rigs, have all of us continue to offer input to its structuring until that's decided, and then delegate some authority to someone(s) for management.  My idea being that Oz's work load would be more so monitoring those helpers. than every member and their posts.

I agree with many of your statements that this endeavor would mean a great increase in the workload for him.  That being said, it's either accept the increase in workload or welcome some help to manage it.  At least one thing is certain, it will grow!
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Oz

Excellent feedback, folks! 

Thinking on it more, I agree it would be best to accommodate with a separate forum.  And, I can simply make it a sub-domain of this one.  In addition, some resources, such as the free, downloadable logs and used RV buying checklist could be carried over as well.

It would be rather austere, at least to start and I could peck away at it over time to improve the overall enjoyment, but the key purpose would be met:  providing a niche specifically for RV owners of 1990-? where THEY are the focus and not lost in the crowd and overlooked as they may be in huge, all-inclusive forums.

Assistance in how it should be organized to meet the needs of the membership would be GREATLY appreciated.  I.E.  What do I name the chassis boards?  I think a lot of our existing boards, such as Exterior/Body, Appliances, Misc, General, and other, non-chassis specific boards would work just as well as they do here.

I would hope many, if not all of you who are members here who can be active there would join there as well, giving us a base membership of experienced owners to prime the pump, so-to-speak.

"Classic Motor Homes & RVs, 1990 - 2000"  for an example name? 

CapnDirk

Perhaps following the longevity?

Chassis:      Ford, chevy, yada.  We will manufacture the same thing as long as we can to maximize ROI.  Read they didn't change for some good amount of time.
Body:         We will change the nose and back cap, the grill, and upholstery material as long as we can so that it APPEARS we made something new/different.
Appliances: We don't have to change anything.  It works, has for decades  :)rotflmao  Pay no attention to the smoke from behind the refrigerator.

Most don't think twice about working on the cabinet, stitching the cushion, replacing the fresh water pump after some research.  Most of the requests for help I believe are more chassis related than anything due to the cost of taking it to the mechanic.

If you want to give the most, the most expense and needed info is in the chassis.  Point out to EVERYONE by whatever means that if you have a mechanical problem, educate yourself on what chassis you have and go from there (read ask questions in that area).

Your body/appliance  questions are very unlikely to be specific to your rig so by all means search the forums for "my refrigerator takes a long time to cool on 12v" on a 2005 motorhome.  My 1988 does to.

Point being, that to a great extent you don't have to re-invent the 19.5 wheel.  You already have a great deal here to cover that sort of stuff.  It would lighten the load considerably in this endeavor for new people to be made aware of the fact that a great deal of what they might need for 1990-2005 is already here.....  Along with a lot of weird, crazy, somewhat bent, humorous, arthritic, old dogs that love a road trip, and to help others see the magnificent things we have.

Boy, that kind of wondered!  :)clap

Have to go get a Nog refill.  Merry Christmas!

Froggy1936

Actually all the way up to current R/V,s The only major difference will be, Diesel , Gasoline Fuel Injection, Electronic ignition ,Multi speed transmissions . All the other changes are body and interior , Electrical/ Lighting are basicly the same . Engines & differentials not much different Other than rear engine placement ! i?? Hm?  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

HandyDan

Comparing my 1984 Holiday Rambler to my 1997 Newmar Kountry Star (The Newmar company has history with Holiday Rambler), the interior isn't all that different.  The appliances are the same, the lighting is similar, the furniture is similar, the main difference is the slide out, (which is a major difference), the basement storage, and of course, the chassis.  A board topic on slides might be nice, and a topic on F53 chassis, the rest is pretty much the same.  There is a lot of difference between a Chevy 454 and a Ford 460 in carburetor vs. fuel injection, non-computer vs. computer control, Granning tag axle vs. MOR/ryde,  and newer exhaust (mine has the Banks exhaust package). 

1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

Oz

Very enlightening info!  I had no idea there is still so much relative to the newer rigs aside from the chassis!

Maybe the focus and title of the site or addition to this one should be, "1990 and Newer"?  and really no need to create a separate site, since owners of the newer ones find their way here and do join?  That would enable them to access everything we already have without the need to duplicate it all on a separate forum.

Hm?