Winter Vacation, 2016-2017

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 08, 2016, 10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Well...Friday for us was a celebration, so we sat inside all day, popped the champagne at noon, and watched all the proceedings until midnight. 

It was raining most of the day, so we had to run the generator for a few hours in the evening, but that is only the second time we've had to run it since getting here to the state park...and we only had to run it because we made an exception on this glorious day to start watching the television before 6pm.  We pretty much started watching the pomp and circumstance as soon as we opened our eyes.

That evening it rained HARD, and the winds were insane!  My flagpole started to bend, so I rushed out and took Old Glory down until the morning and the winds passed.

Yesterday was pretty overcast as well with a sprinkle here and there, and the desert was so wet that there was no hiking in the quicksand (which is what the hard packed dirt here turns into after a hard rain)...so we played with the pups indoors and I got some chores done.

Today is pretty nice outside, so Patti and I are going over to the Goldfield Ghost Town, which is pretty much right across the street from the Lost Dutchman State Park.

The Faire sent out a newsletter finally, and we are allowed to go into camp on Saturday the 28th...which means we'll have to find a place to camp for 3 more days as our time here at the state park is limited to 2 weeks, and we have to be out on the 25th.  I'm looking into boondocking alternatives locally since the RV parks around here are stupid expensive, and we do very well boondocking with our setup.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

We lucked out!!!  I went into the Ranger's Station to ask them if they knew of any boondock camping nearby...and the head ranger said, "Three more days?  We can do that."  Sweet!  So I paid them and we are now all set until the Renfaire camping opens!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

ClydesdaleKevin

Going hiking is now Paladin and Karli's absolutely favorite thing to do!  The looks on their faces when I ask them if they "wanna go hiking?" is priceless!!!  My love for my dogs is greater than my love for slothfulness...lol!  I call it the furbaby fitness plan.   :)

The day before yesterday was dark and rainy with thick cloud cover, so we had to run the genny for 3 hours in the evening.  Not too shabby though...we've only had to run it 3 times in the last 15 days, and the forecast for the next few days until we leave for the Renfaire is bright sunshine and no clouds.

And we still have wash water in the freshwater tank.  We emptied the 40 gallon one I added under the bed, but so far so good on the main 70 gallon tank!  We also still have room in the greywater tanks.  I don't know if we'll make it with wash water all the way until Saturday, but we have some collapsible 5 gallon water containers in case I have to add more water to the tanks.  The greywater tank should be fine, and they have a dumpstation here to empty it on the way out.  We don't drink the tank water unless it is boiled for coffee or cooking, so we keep potable water on hand in those 5 gallon collapsible containers.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

And here are some of the promised pictures of where we are camped at the Lost Dutchman State Park, and some pictures we took hiking.

Enjoy!

Kev

boohoo222

you wer'nt walking the dogs, they were dragging you W% :)clap
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

M & J

Thank you Kevin. 2 thumbs up sir.
M & J

Shawn62

WOW!    Outstanding.  Beautiful canines. The landscape is breath taking.  God Bless America. 

Those photos made my day.

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

ClydesdaleKevin

So today is our last day at the Lost Dutchman State Park, and tomorrow we head over to our campsite at the Renfaire.

I had to add 30 gallons of water to our freshwater tank yesterday...but we made it over 2 weeks and the grey tanks still have room in them!

I have to make a repair today...the solenoid that shuts off the chassis power is stuck in the "off" position, so I'll have to make a heavy jumper wire to jump across the terminals and install it so I can start the RV up tomorrow.  I'll replace the solenoid completely once we are in camp and have some income coming in again.

It is cold and windy today, but bright and sunny without a cloud in the sky!  I'll be taking the pups for a hike at some point today as well...and going to the market to get some milk and to put some fuel in the truck.

Kev

Froggy1936

Hey Kev if you have a set of battery jumper cables just use one of them Till repairs are completed  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DRMousseau

I keep a set secured right in the engine compartment. Sometimes I need a jump from the house to start up when I've forgotten to shut off something or another. And I've used for solenoids too.

Now to scroll up and drool over these awesome pics again.
"Happy Trails!"
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

Froggy1936

I carry a battery jump start pack and a set of cables , Also carry a 6/12 V battery charger Hmm i have never used the cables in 15 yrs Dont remember exactly where they are now  Hm? Hm? Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

Turns out it was just a VERY low battery, so the solenoid wouldn't actuate.  The pups hit the auxiliary cooling fan switch on the dash and it drained out the battery.  So I charged it up yesterday with my Schumacher battery charger since we have a beautiful sunny day with full solar capacity (for this time of year), and it is holding the charge this morning.  I probably damaged the battery though, since it had drained all the way down to 3.7 volts!  Yikes!  The solenoid is working perfectly again, so that is good.

It is a short drive though to the Renfaire campground.  If the battery seems damaged I'll replace it before our next trip...and I'm probably going to add a manual battery shutoff as well.

Fun fun fun!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

We had a non-eventful short trip to the Renfaire campground and the RV is all set up for the duration of the show.  I still have to set up the dog pen and the workshop carport, but I'll tackle that tomorrow.  We are supposed to have great weather for the next 2 weeks with no rain.  Sweet!

Kev

Froggy1936

Hey Kev , If you recharged the battewry slowly (2 Amp) and is was a good battery before it will probably recover The amt of staying power it will have depends on any damage done , Check all the cells with a hydrometer if they are all even you are probably good to go , Add a Bright pilot light visable from all directions to fan operation  Good Luck  Frank

cosmic

Hey Kev
living through my Winnebago withdrawal through your righting.... sure wish I was in Arazona...
Ontario is colder then hell and my winnie is wrapped up like a mommy in the barn waiting for spring..
All the best... Hi to P

ClydesdaleKevin

DRMousseau

ugh! I HATE being wrapped up for winter,.. I peek outside my bubble only to see a "desert" of deep snow!!! I couldn't escape if I had too, and spring is long way off yet.

So,... I come back inside and seek a little inner joy and freedom in this adventure. The pics are great! And,... I'll admit to jus a bit more as I follow with Google Maps jus to see where y'all might be or where your passing by.

btw,... I too doubt ya did much damage to your battery running it down so much. Unless it may have froze or was in old very poor condition, it'll probably be jus fine. If it's not a sealed maintenance free battery, a hydrometer will tell ya more than a guess will or anything else.

Back to sunshine pics,... 11 hours a month jus isn't enough here.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

boohoo222

I too love following kevins post from everywhere
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks!  I got the dog kennel all set up on the porch yesterday, and started putting the workshop carport together.  Ran out of steam, so we'll finish setting up the workshop today.

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Booth is all set up, and tomorrow I'll go get materials and build more catapults for the rest of the week.  Go Patriots!!!  :D

Kev

Rickf1985

Kevin, you did some serious walking!! Love the pups, the one at least is a twin of the one I lost back in July, I swore I was not going to have two dogs again but seeing your pics I don't know.

ClydesdaleKevin

It is hard losing a dog you love, Rick.  My condolences brother.  I ALWAYS have at least 2 German Shepherds so they can keep each other company and play with each other if either I'm not home, or just too busy working to pay a lot of attention to them. 

I ran them in the parking lot here at the Renaissance Festival in Arizona yesterday by throwing tennis balls with a Chuck-It until they were well worn out.  And Karli is limping around today, poor thing.  Even though its dirt, her little paw pads just aren't used to it yet and she abraded herself.

Other than that, all we did today was finish wiring up the workshop, and I got all my parts cut out for the next two days of building.

Opening weekend is coming right up!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

The booth is all set up, all the catapults are built, and Patti did a wonderful job on the flowers and garlands...making our pavilion the prettiest one at the Arizona Renaissance Festival!

Tomorrow is opening day, and we are so excited!

I'll be wearing my brand new and VERY well made Crusader outfit.  SWEET!!!

And thus concludes this chapter!  Next chapter coming right up:  Arizona 2017!

Kev