What to look for in a used Fridge

Started by mattyj858, November 23, 2016, 11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

Hey guys, I need to replace my old 73 Dometic fridge. I am looking on Craigslist and found a few. Everyone says their fridge works great but who knows, anything I should look for or any tests I should run? All of them are removed from the RV.
I want to use the same size so I don't have to modify, are the fittings/ hoses usually the same between Dometic and Norcold?

Thanks

Rickf1985

All you really have is a gas line,a 110 volt plug on those models that are AC and the 12 volt wires so yes they are all interchangeable. The gas line could possibly be in a different spot and require you to bend or make a new line. As far as checking that is pretty time consuming since you will have to hook it up to gas and 12 volt and turn it on and check it in about 4-5 hours. Same with the AC power. You will know within an hour if you have it out if the tube on the back are getting cold. Remember it has to be level even during a test.

Froggy1936

Also any odor of Ammonia is a no no, And check for any serious rusting anywhere on tanks or lines . These syestems operate at very high PSI  approx 400 PSI  so they will blow out any weak spot . Also look at all the wires for any sign of over heat .   Actual life is unknown amt of  yrs  once they are put in service   Frank  Good Luck ! Edited  I was only going by my experiences , !
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Frank, I am wondering why you put the ten year life span on these fridges? I have four of them with the oldest being40 years old and the youngest being 18 years old and they all work like a charm. I am sure there are many out there in there 50's. As long as they are run in the level position they will last a very long time. It take a lot longer than ten years to rust through especially considering the rust doesn't really start to form for the first 6-7 years. And that tubing is THICK!

M & J

Ours is almost 30 years old and still keeps the beer frosty.
M & J

mattyj858

Thanks everyone, really appreciate it! Checking for ammonia is a good one. Tough as I think most these CL guys don't want me hanging around for hours to see if it cools down. Might have to hope for an honest person.... 
question, if I have the guy plug in the 12v would that prove the cooling unit should work on propane provided the propane lines are in good working order? The propane is more important to me than plug in

Rickf1985

You need the 12 volt for the control board on all but the very old ones. You can look to see if it has a good flame but like I said it is going to take at least 30 minutes to an hour for you to see frost on the tubes if it is out on the floor. If it is in the vehicle it is going t be hard because you cannot see that part. In an hour the freezer should start to feel cold on the metal surfaces. These are not fast cooling units for sure. And yes, any smell of ammonia and it is a bad one.

M & J

On 12V or 110 it uses a heating element. On our unit the stack starts getting hot long before the fridge starts getting cold. That would test the control board and heating element. That and no ammonia smell would start you toward a good one.
M & J

CapnDirk

There is no reason that the fridge can't be plugged into 110 in or out of the motorhome.  Tell them you're interested but want it plugged in before you get there.  If it's cold, then the cooling unit (most expensive part) is likely good.  Other than that, a control board would be the only other thing you might have to throw money at (meaning it's working on 110 but not 12DC)

Anyone trying to sell something will want to accommodate, or they want to hide something.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

mattyj858