1988 454 Fuel pump location

Started by djcassadyjr, November 21, 2016, 01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djcassadyjr

I have a 1998 Winnebago Brave.  It has a 454 engine.  Where is the fuel pump located.  Runs with starter fluid sprayed through air intake and no fuel getting to the engine. Need some assistance.

beaverman

in the tank!, plenty of posts about this here

Rickf1985

Yours will be fuel injection so the posts you see here will mostly not pertain to your exact situation. Most of the RV's here have carburetors up till now. We are starting to see some, like yours, with fuel injection. But the answer given was correct, the pump will be in the tank but the pressures will be higher than the carburetor versions. If you have a non running pump keep in mind that there are some sensors in the OBD computer system that could be involved. Do you have any codes showing?

djcassadyjr

Thank you, that's a good start.  I will check codes

CapnDirk

Like late 80s units and above the fuel pump is in the tank, and with key turned on they both would prime the line for about 5 seconds.  The only thing I think happened for the most part I believe was that the pressure went up alot for the fuel injection (and yes, a PCM/ECM)  You may be able to tell if the pump is priming/working by putting your ear to the gas cap hole and have a buddy turn the key to on (no crank).

If you have noise check elsewhere, if not, check power to the pump.  That's a start.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

Look for fuses ECM 1 and 2, fuel pump relays can also be troublesome. You need to find out if it is OBDI or OBD II. 98 will be on a 97 chassis and could be either since it is a truck engine.

djcassadyjr

Good news
I did check for sound once I got some assistance to listen while I turned the key.  We dropped the tank and installed the new pump.  It was not easy because we had no power where we were and had no way of raising the RV.  We were hoping to just tilt the tank down but could not get the new pump seated in properly.  Once we dropped the entire tank we were able to seat the sending unit and replace the snap ring.  Tank went back up fairly easily.  The pump kicked in and the engine cranked immediately after we charged the battery.  Thanks for the help. now on to the next project/fix

Rickf1985

:)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp   Projects are never ending.

CapnDirk

Did you follow Ricks and my guide on dropping the tank?  We're waiting for someone to try it and give some feedback  :)
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

I am going to do it sometime over the winter on both of mine. On the Winnebago to replace the line and on the Pace Arrow to get the tank and old gas out of there so I don't have to worry about it as I scrap it. The Winnebago will be a test of how it works elevating it back in too.

djcassadyjr

We tried hard not to drop the tank, but we eventually had no choice.  The old pump came out fine by just tilting it down.  We could not get the new pump in without straight force on the pump to get the snap ring in place.  It went up easier then expected with a jack and some patients.