Cool washer

Started by CapnDirk, November 13, 2016, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnDirk

"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

I always question the ventless drying. Where exactly does the moisture go? The clothing is wet and you remove the moisture from the clothing and make it dry. The moisture does not magically just "go away". It has to be vented inside or out and if it is inside you are going to have all kinds of mold issues!

yellowrecve

I installed the 110 volt combo in some of our MH conversions. Customer option. We found that the vented model dried faster than the none vented.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

TerryH

I had a vented model on my boat and found it to be very slow for the drying cycle. On shore power 3 pairs of jeans would take an hour and a half. I've known people that have had the ventless models on boats and in their apartments overseas that finally gave up on the drying portion of these units. One problem to consider is that you can wash - they say - 15 pounds. That is dry items. Then they say you can dry 7 pounds. That is spun but still wet items. The 15 pounds you put in the wash becomes 20 pounds when the wash is finished. That means 3 complete drying sessions, with 2 loads of wet waiting their turn while the first is drying. For a full timer that means wet laundry sitting somewhere inside, waiting it's turn for hours and contributing big time to the moisture content in a small area.
120v clothes drying is nowhere near as efficient as 220v.
Given the minimal wash and dry capacity for clothes, the extremely long time required for drying and the cost of consumed electricity I would never have another one.
If you do consider one of these units I would suggest some very diligent searches of these units on google before buying one, creating a spot for it, plumbing, wiring and draining infrastructure, as well as venting should you go that way.
In my case I put one in a 44' boat and it was a lot of work for something I was not at all satisfied with. Different situation than a RV, but somewhat similar. Of course in a larger RV ie 37' you likely would find it easier than a 27 or 24.
Bottom line is I would recommend anyone considering one of these to do their due diligence first. Then do it again.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

CapnDirk

So, do we have any reasonable/efficient way to do laundry wile away?  Is a washer/dryer of any kind just not realistic?
Unless you have a toad with you, driving a 30 foot motorhome to the laundromat doesn't seem handy.  W%
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

Elandan2

Virtually every campground has a laundromat.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

MotorPro

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 13, 2016, 08:18 PM
I always question the ventless drying. Where exactly does the moisture go? The clothing is wet and you remove the moisture from the clothing and make it dry. The moisture does not magically just "go away". It has to be vented inside or out and if it is inside you are going to have all kinds of mold issues!
it blows the moisture out the washer drain hose

CapnDirk

Elandan:  Every Walmart campground I've been to had non operational laundry equipment, and most other campgrounds that I've been to had nothing.  Are you back east?  In the west, if no facilities are available, we go down to the stream and beat things on a rock being ever vigilant for Indians and Republicans  :D

Motorpro:  That is a cleaver idea, albeit raising the humidity in the camper.

JerryP

Ventless dryers......Pesky basic science gets in the way of all these not so great ideas.

What is the problem with simply putting in a vent???

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

M & J

Cutting a hole I would imagine.
M & J

JerryP

Quote from: M & J on November 24, 2016, 10:34 PM
Cutting a hole I would imagine.

Not really that big a deal on an old RV
A hole for a vent is generally the least of our issues. :D
Run it through the floor, buy a house flange for it, and done.
I guess my outlook may be different, than others. One of my big reasons for buying an old one was so I could modify guilt free.
It is old, and all it will ever be worth is 5K, as long as I take care of it mechanically, and do not trash the inside.

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress