440-3 Vacuum Pressure

Started by LJ-TJ, November 12, 2016, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickf1985

I left my canisters on for that very reason, too much hassle for 0 return. It will gain you absolutely nothing in mileage. And you can feel a little better for not dumping raw hydrocarbons into the atmosphere.

LJ-TJ

Ok! Sooooo I shall leave well enough alone. So the next question is can I us fuel line for vacuum line. More importantly can I use fuel line for my brake buster vacuum line. Hm?

LJ-TJ

This is what I put together thanks to Rick and Dave and the gang.

kenwautoone

Have someone sit in drivers seat,to view vacuum gauge,while u spray carb cleaner or brake clean around your new fittings.if all is tight,there will be no change in gauge reading.......Ken

M & J

Or use teflon tape on the threads
M & J

moezart

oh yeah I'm glad Rick stepped in, there is a lot more to just plugging vacuum lines. I would say gas lines will be fine for your brake lines or your vacuum lines considering they deal with the harshest elements. That's if you can find gas lines the size of your brake line or your vacuum lines.

Rickf1985

The brake "Buster" line is a special line in itself. Very rare and hard to find. I only know of one company that supplies them and that is Buster and Bubba Automotive Supply. Very pricey stuff too.

Brake "booster" line is much easier and cheaper to come by.

legomybago

QuoteBrake "booster" line is much easier and cheaper to come by

I had to replace a section of my hydrovac vacuum supply line....I used 1/2" rubber air brake hose. Cost about 1.20 ft. I couldn't find the super stiff/rigid walled 1/2" brake line booster hose that was on it. The only "stiff" walled hose I could find had steel in it, way too overkill.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

classicrockfanatic

I've just got 1/2" gas line connected to my boosters vacuum, and 5/8" heater hose for the hydrovac breather hose. I dint even realize they made a special steel embedded line, but that makes sense.

legomybago

The original 1975 1/2" hose that is on my rig has "Vacuum Brake Hose" labeled on it. But I couldn't find any locally, and kind of figured I didn't need anything special anyway....
Steel lined hose if for hydraulic systems on heavy equipment etc....

LJ-TJ

Well finished her up to day. Chickened out and re-worked re-used my original Brake booster hose. But ended up using gas line for the rest.

legomybago

Inquiring minds want to know what kind of vacuum your gauge now reads?????????

Rickf1985

And I think Lego asked before but I will ask again, where does the line go that Tee's into your vacuum advance line? That is an unusual place for a Tee.

Elandan2

Oh! I can answer that one!!  That is the vacuum line for the factory vacuum gauge.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Elandan2 good guess. NUP! It goes down to the canister???????????????? Didn't really want to put it in but that's were it went when I took the original apart. If you look at the Tee at the back of the engine the one on the left goes to the brake booster. The little one on the right goes to the vacuum gauge that I put in my self on my new instrument panel. Shoot now you got me to thinking about it. Darn I got to check and see for sure where that vacuum hose on the vacuum advance goes. I just assumed it went to the canister. NUT D:oH!

Rickf1985

It's possible but I would thing the one teeing off of the PCV hose is going to the canister and if the factory gauge is hooked into anything it would be that one. I don't think they used manifold vacuum on the advance in the mid 70's but I am not sure on the Dodges.

LJ-TJ

Hey Rick went to the barn and that vacuum hose goes to the canister. I'm going to check the vacuum pressure tomorrow and see what happens.

Rickf1985

Interesting, You will have to get the Dodge man Dave to dig up a vacuum diagram for that year and see if that is correct. It is entirely possible as all the canister needs is a trigger to tell it when to release. My concern is that creates a lag at the vacuum advance unit.

Rickf1985

http://newyorkeronline.org/m-r/engine/VacuumRouting/ELB.jpg

Here is one pic I dug up, while it does not show the vacuum advance it does show the canister signal coming from the carb. That is how I remember it. I have found several diagrams that show the Tee in the line but the other line goes to the air cleaner, not the canister. I believe you have some mixed up hoses. And that may be affecting how it runs depending on what the vacuum advance is actually doing. I have to but up at 04:00 and on the road at 05:00 so I am going to have to bail on this one for now. I may get back early enough tomorrow to get online but I may be fried and just go to bed. ;)

Last one

https://www.google.com/search?q=1978+dodge+440+vacuum+diagram&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CcE8vbVqY0nBIjhptpWrg9tPRvP9YtBkb68WXE9Z1qxCaQzoVahb0-VJHAYh8hykRX1xtFXKAO0gWxEL8AsNRYnx6CoSCWm2lauD209GESzGsJK6s69NKhIJ8_11i0GRvrxYRJXH914hY2hEqEglcT1nWrEJpDBGzAgr7IL02cCoSCehVqFvT5UkcEQygMZCAR_1hWKhIJBiHyHKRFfXER45yeN0wRiSMqEgm0VcoA7SBbERGsWUFkZBDw0CoSCQvwCw1FifHoESVx_1deIWNoR&tbo=u#imgrc=MXOV_GiYSAqFHM%3A

legomybago

Quote from: Rickf1985 on December 01, 2016, 07:02 PM
Interesting, You will have to get the Dodge man Dave to dig up a vacuum diagram for that year and see if that is correct. It is entirely possible as all the canister needs is a trigger to tell it when to release. My concern is that creates a lag at the vacuum advance unit.

I concur!

DaveVA78Chieftain

I hate to be a wise a??   :-[ but, the simplest thing to do, is look at the vacuum hose routing diagrams in the emissions section of the Dodge MH Service manual.  Hint, Section 25.

Also, from 73 on, Dodge used ported vacuum advance.  One of those emissions thingy's.

I do not see an EGR valve (started in 75) in your pictures so these drawings should apply to you.  With EGR is a different set up that is contained in the 74-75 supplement.

[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Well the good news is I went out to the barn fired up the furnace in the motor home and it was great to at the least  have heat. So tomorrow I'm heading out  and going to spend the day with my vacuum hoses.

legomybago

Looking at the schematics, the vacuum lines you can see on top of tjs motor are correct. Good job tj! Let's hear them vacuum #'s!!

legomybago

Check out the price on this factory intake manifold vacuum tree....ouchy wah wah. Now I see why the auto shop wouldnt part with any of theres tj!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/413-426-Max-Wedge-and-Race-Hemi-PCV-and-Heater-Intake-Fitting-/251541227344

LJ-TJ

All I can say is that's nuts! When I was looking I found the very same fitting for as little as $7.00 so if anyone else is on the hunt take your time there out there at a reasonable price. I paid $11.00 for all the fittings it took to build mine. Once again Dave perrrrrrrfet. Now all I have to do is figure out how to do a proper vacuum test. You guys have been great. Thanks a million. :)ThmbUp