440-3 Vacuum Pressure

Started by LJ-TJ, November 12, 2016, 02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Hey Rick I'm going nuts here. Well Ok we already know that. I've looked as close as I can and the only plug I can find is this one on the front left side of the intake manifold.????????????

Froggy1936

Well TJ You now have enough gauges to take your eyes off the road long enough to get into trouble ! But looks impressive (just like an airplane) A goog place to install the vacuume gauge line is at the power brake hose connection , Or where cruise control hooks up to  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

:D Thanks Frank. I don't have cruise control I'm guessing the power break hose is the other big hose coming off the back of the intake manifold. Hm?

legomybago

Your distributor vacuum advance line has a tee in it?? Where does that other line go?
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

cook elandan

Just use the port that the pvc is using. at the tee you said is where your other vac gauge is attached. disconnect the pvc and attach your new vac gauge that way you can check on both gauges, as long as your dash one is in good shape. IMO.

Rickf1985

I was thinking you had hydroboost brakes, I forgot you had an older model. That line is the perfect place to tee into, the power brake line. The PCV line has a constant vacuum leak so is not a good choice.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Ok now were getting some were. I'm going to head up to my local auto parts store (we still have them) no Auto Zones or Advanced Autos here and see if they have or can get me a fitting like legomybago shows. I just went out and checked and the other large hose goes over to my brake booster. Thanks guys.

cook elandan

the pvc line will not leak if you take it out and just plug the vac gauge into it.

Rickf1985

The PCV line is always pulling air from the crankcase through it, it is basically a constant vacuum leak so you will never get a true reading from that line.

And PVC is Poly Vinyl Chloride pipe, PCV is "Positive Crankcase Ventilation".

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Found it! Think I found it Rick

cook elandan

Rick, I know what the PVC is and does. I have not said to leave the pvc in the circuit. I stated to take it out and use that port to check the vac at that point and with his other vac gauge he could see if it is working to match his test gauge. 
  I know that you are old enough with engines that are pre-PVC where they had just air filter caps in the valve covers.  So I was stating to remove the PVC and use the tee where he would remove it and the port under the carb would be hooked up to two vac gauges. IMO.

M & J

It really is called PCV, not PVC.
M & J

Rickf1985

And he wants it inline all the time so the PCV has to be working, That is why I am suggesting another route. Leaving the PCV disconnected is not only bad for the environment but it will be very smelly. Yes, I do remember those days, and smells! And the oily mess it leaves under the vehicle. If you did that you would also have to totally recalibrate the carburetor, I am talking major jetting changes all through the entire range of RPM and load.

And yes, TJ, That is the one but if that hose is as hard as it looks it is time to replace it while you are there.

LJ-TJ

Yep! Thanks guys. I'm going to go out today and pick up some parts to Tee off that hose so like Rick say's I can run my dash vacuum gauge into that port which goes into my brake booster and not touch the PCV valve hose. Hey Rick that hose is still flexible. Thanks to you guys I think I finally got it figured. I'll let you know how it works out.

M & J

Well dont shoot your eye out for goodness sakes.
M & J

legomybago

Is that REALLY your hand in that last pic TJ..... i?? lol...must be a stock photo
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Can't be his hand, there is dirt under the nail. :)rotflmao

M & J

M & J

LJ-TJ

Man you guys a gold'n. You don't appreciate just how lucky you are. I just spent the day running around all the speed shops in my area and they had no clue what I was talking about when I asked for a Intake Manifold Vacuum Tree (Tee). I kid you not. The part stores had no idea. The engine rebuild shop that I went to had them for himself but because there so hard to come by wouldn't sell me even one. @!%&* Jerks. I can buy all kinds of them on line. I can get what I want from Summit. I can get tons of them State side. EXCEPT I AIN'T GOING STATE SIDE TILL SPRING. @#%&*. Any way looks like I'll be sitting on the tune up till spring unless I find something around here. BUT hey thanks guys you been a great help. I now know what I'm looking for and where to put it. Hmmmmmm maybe I shouldn't have put it quite like that. :angel:

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hmm, here, I can purchase stuff like that (brass fittings) in the plumbing department at a regular hardware store or box store like Lowes or Home Depot.  Thats in addition to a car parts place.

[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

D:oH! Crap! What's that old saying "you can't see the forest for the tree." Never thought of it. I've been so focus  on tracking down the proper fitting I never considered that. The Wizard strikes again. Once again thanks Dave.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp Ok! Pictures to follow. Question, I got vacuum hoses all over the place. Do I really need all these hoses? They got tee's running all over the place. Near as I can see all I really need is the one hose from the brake booster to the intake manifold and a little one to my vacuum gauge. One from my PCV valve to the carburetor. And one small one from my carb to the vacuum advance on my distributor. Do I need all that crap running down to the canister down on the frame of can I get rid of all those vacuum hoses. Hm?

moezart

It sounds like to me that is emissions lines, like charcoal canister. Does your intake have an EGR valve? If you don't have emissions test, I'm sure you could, granted that you don't leave your EGR open.

LJ-TJ

Well that's a little good news. I got a canister down on the frame that I'm going to cut out of the Vacuum system. I just wasn't sure if it would affect the performance of the 440. I got little barbs all over the place just looking for a Vacuum leak. However can I use gas line hose as vacuum hose. Can I use gas line for my brake booster hose from my brake booster to my intake manifold for a vacuum line. Hm? Good to see you back DR.

Rickf1985

As was said, if you do not have to pass an emissions test you do not need the equipment. NOW, it is not as easy as just yanking lines off! Those charcoal canisters collect gasoline vapors from the gas tank and the carburetor when you are not driving. If you just take the lines off of the carburetor then you are always going to be smelling gasoline vapor when sitting from the gas evaporating in the carb since the design of the carb was such that it normally went out to the canister. Same with the canister, if you disconnect the vapor recovery line from the canister to the carburetor then the canister will get saturated with gasoline (literally, dripping) and you will be smelling that all the time too. So, if you want to take those lines off you need to go back to the tank and be sure you put a vented gas cap on the tank since as it sits it should be a closed system. Then you need to disconnect and plug the vapor lines at the tank. This will eliminate the canister saturation problem. As far as the carb evaporation smell............... plug the hose at the carb and live with what is left, it should not be much more than any other vehicle but you might have to get used to a different starting procedure.