Tire and wheel help for a 1980 Brave 4x4 conversion

Started by Rocksfab, November 11, 2016, 01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocksfab

I just purchased a 1980 Brave 4x4 Chevrolet conversion. 454, th400, 205 transfer case. The previous owner had regular rims and tires on it. I want to put duallies on the back with matching tires in the front. I had purchased some 16.5 rims 1 ton Chevrolet rims at a swap meet and the front brake caliper is stopping the rim from going on. Are the front rims a different ofset?  Can anyone tell me what to look for in a tire and wheel that will fit on this?
Mike

Rickf1985

Duals use different hubs both front and back, you can sometimes get by with stock duals on single hubs on the rear but not on the front. The front hub has a large offset to the outside. You would be better off running single wheel rims on the front.

Rocksfab

I know I see what look like offset rims on fronts thought they were the same as the rears. But with the Dana  4x4 conversion wasn't sure. My big consern is what to carry for a spare.
Thanks
Mike

Rickf1985

It all depends on what the rears under it came out of. If they came out of a 3/4 ton Chevy then they are going to be single wheel rims. You say the front is a 44 so that is what I think you got. BUT, he could have used a one ton rear diff and 3/4 ton front? What rear is under the back? Is it a Dana 60 or a 14 bolt? In your case I think the best case scenario if you have to run single wheel rims in the front is to use that wheel as a spare and carry plugs. Also subscribe to AAA. I have found that even though Triple A's prices have gone up substantially all it takes is one tow and you got your money back for a couple years. One service call for a flat tire is a hundred dollars so there is half your yearly bill right there.

Rocksfab

My mistake. There is a GM 14 bolt in the rear and a Dana 60 in the front. I have done some searching and found out that it is a single rear wheel differential front end. I believe that I need to change the front hubs to a dual wheel differential style that will accept the dually front rims. The bearing hub is longer and sets the rim flange farther out.

Rickf1985

This is true, You should be able to source them from either a Chevy or a Ford front Dana 60. I am pretty sure the center hole is the same. Check to be sure if you find a Ford set, it has been a long time since I did this kind of conversion. Ford changed bolt patterns in 1999.