Introduction and a little showmanship

Started by classicrockfanatic, October 30, 2016, 07:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockfanatic

Hello all.
Although I've been lurking through the archives in the last few months, this is the first post I've started. Mainly I wanted to introduce myself to the community, and share my appreciation for the information I've obtained thus far. Its awesome to be able to find real solutions to the exact issues I've been dealing with.

Since March of this year, I've been rebuilding a 1972 Indian D22. My original plan was to buy a classic RV and refurbish it for camping at work during the week, and then travel during the weekends. I knew that there would be a good deal of labor and money required to bring my plan to fruition, and in that respect I have not been disappointed yet. Thus far I have completely rebuilt the engine, transmission and brake system. I also have on going work with some wall rot, and final drive refurbishment. Although I'd be happy to answer any question about the work I've done so far, I doubt Ill post individual topics, since most of my technical knowledge is a derivative of existing posts.
I've attached a few pics of the engine work so far, hope you all enjoy.

Rickf1985

Welcome aboard and we look forward to the showmanship part (the pictures). i?? W% :D

classicrockfanatic

my apologies for the technical difficulties, my links seem to have not worked. presently investigating why.

classicrockfanatic

Rickf1985

Nice! You don't trust the lifting attachment on the manifold? I never thought too highly off them even on a steel manifold.

classicrockfanatic

The lifting plate worked alright for quick lifts, and also for FOD avoidance. but when I went to move the engine, I was concerned about increased instantaneous loads from the engine rocking and bouncing. Also, the engine was such a tight fit into the chassis, that the center line of the lifting plate would not have allowed insertion.Ultimately I remember it taking a good 30 mintutes of "finessing" to get the drive train back in, but, where there's a will there's a way!

LJ-TJ

Spectacular. :)clap WOW! Sweet looking motor. 440? Oh! Welcome aboard. Look forward to following your progress. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

That is quite some water runoff area there next to the RV, Where are you located? I notice the outdoor shop. Us Northeasters are not to used to outdoors shops. At least not since we were teenagers and we had no choice but to work in the cold and snow. N:(

legomybago

I've lifted quite a few complete Ford FE engines with the carb plate? With aluminum manifolds too. I think it would take an incredible amount of force to pull the threads out. i?? The manufacturer's wouldn't be selling them if engines were falling on people from 5-6' in the air!!...That would be scary :(

Welcome to the forum, Looks like you've got a great project going.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

classicrockfanatic

I'm located in sunny southern California, Lake Elsinore to be precise. The ditch next to the RV, was put in decades ago, my neighborhood is built on an old clay pit, so I guess the engineers were concerned with run off.