Shock install

Started by mattyj858, October 27, 2016, 10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

Guys,
Next step is replacing shocks in my 73 D20. I will be buying the NAPA stock shocks ( I believe are Monroes). My questions is will I have to jack up the MH in order to install both the front and rears?
If I recall when I replaced my old 73 Blazer shocks I just compressed the shock in order to line up the top and bottom bolts? Don't remember if that's the case for the fronts.

Thx

Surfinhurf

You should not have to jack up the MH, unless you need to remove a tire to gain access.
Monroe usually runs a special in October "Shocktober"  buy 3 get one free.

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/promotions/monroe-shocktober-promotion-us/

HURF

Oz

No need to jack it up. 
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mattyj858

mattyj858

Thanks guys, I wasn't really looking forward to crawling under a 10k lb vehicle on jackstands

CoastalWinnebago

Not sure what type of Monroe shocks you are considering, but I spent a little extra on gas shocks from Bilstein.  I have a 73 D18 and the four shocks helped a lot with handling and stability.  I still consider adding air shocks to the rear in order to help stability.  Also, you may consider hitting those shock bolts with some anti-seze a few days before your job to make the job less painful.

Also, you may want to just confirm that your chassis is a 1973, and not a 1972 chassis on a 1973 coach.  I didnt realize mine was a 1972 chassis, and I needed to purchase different shocks because the mounting brackets were different. 

mattyj858

Thanks good to know! Due to available funds I am going with the NAPA shocks by Monroe. Love to do Billsteins but just don't have the funds right now.

I will look into the chassis I believe the VIN will tell you? I need to look at past threads to see how to read it.

Definitely going to spray the bolts for a couple weeks before. Thanks!

LJ-TJ

You might want to consider this product. It's call B&G enforce penetrating oil. Fantastic stuff. I use it on the farm and my classic Winnebago all the time . It really is amazing stuff. Worth every penny.
Coastal Distributing, Co.P.O. Box 1486Spring Valley, California 91979 USA Phone: (619) 440-5339Fax: (888) 501-0631Use this link to take your customers directly to this contact page.

Rickf1985

Kroil is another really good product that has been around in industry for a long time. It was more of a commercial product then consumer for many years.

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwqfvABRC6gJ3T_4mwspoBEiQAyoQPkQDhJViqDk-Ay9DHzg8B3lQFwPdqqwnHJL9I2RMesm0aAsGw8P8HAQ

beaverman

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 06, 2016, 07:51 PM
Kroil is another really good product that has been around in industry for a long time. It was more of a commercial product then consumer for many years.

http://www.kanolabs.com/google/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwqfvABRC6gJ3T_4mwspoBEiQAyoQPkQDhJViqDk-Ay9DHzg8B3lQFwPdqqwnHJL9I2RMesm0aAsGw8P8HAQ

2nd for Kroil, can be had at some commercial hardware places (not the big box stores) or of ebay, sprayed 28 year old rusted exhaust flange bolts 3 times over 2 day, waited till the 4th day and busting them loose was no problem, have also used if for years around aluminum boats and salt water, creeps right through rust and corrosion!

mattyj858

Quote from: LJ-TJ on November 06, 2016, 06:11 PM
You might want to consider this product. It's call B&G enforce penetrating oil. Fantastic stuff. I use it on the farm and my classic Winnebago all the time . It really is amazing stuff. Worth every penny.
Coastal Distributing, Co.P.O. Box 1486Spring Valley, California 91979 USA Phone: (619) 440-5339Fax: (888) 501-0631Use this link to take your customers directly to this contact page.
Cool I will look into it, I actually work fairly close to them!

mattyj858

Quote from: Rickf1985 on November 06, 2016, 07:51 PM

Thanks!