engine will not turn over

Started by into666oblivion, October 25, 2016, 10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

into666oblivion

So i am having trouble with my 1979 dodge sprinter. It was running great but i do have a major leak in my radiator and i tried to move it and only made it a few miles before it started overheating. So then i turned it off to let it cool down and put more fluid.  i tried to start it up again and the engine would not turn over.

Surfinhurf

87Itasca

Does the starter 'click'?

Turn your lights on tonight and hit the starter. Do they dim?

Possibility you could have overheated the heads, warped them, then when you shut off the engine, water filled one or more cylinders, and hydrolocked the engine.

If the starter clicks, and sounds like it tries to engage, take the spark plugs out, and see if it cranks over.

If nothing happens, no click, no thunk, no light dimming, either a connection is bad, or the starter picked that moment to crap out. Or the solenoid, if it has one on the fender or such place. If so, that can be tested by jumping an insulated (with a rubber or thick plastic handle) screwdriver across the two big terminals. If it cranks over when you're holding the screwdriver on them, the solenoid is likely to blame.

into666oblivion

The starter does not click and i have no lights that turn on including the dash and headlights. I just put a new starter in and it is still the exact same as before.

Rickf1985

You have a bad connection at one of your battery terminals most likely. You will need to take them off and clean the battery post till it shines and also the terminal the same. If that does not work then the next step is the battery ground wire where it contacts the frame or engine will also need to be cleaned.

C&T2

Possibly the neutral safety switch. Mine started to act up - had to drive the gear selected into park just right or I would get nothing when turning the ignition key. $30 part.

legomybago

He has no headlights either. So this isn't his problem. Need to check the battery and look for 12v. That's your starting point.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

LJ-TJ

Have you considered trying to jump it from the starter solenoid. Hm?

Rickf1985

No headlights = no electrical power to the vehicle. That needs to be fixed first.

beaverman

Does the 79 still have the old school voltage regulator on it?

into666oblivion

So it seems I am getting no power to my fuse box. What could be the cause?

Elandan2

Try checking for voltage at the starter relay. With a sudden failure like that, the fusible link going to your fuse box from the relay may have burned out.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Have you checked the battery terminals? If so then you probably blew a fusible link. It will look just like a wire but will have a tag on it and be at the end of the wire attached to either the battery or the starter solenoid. I am not sure which on your vehicle. This link, http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Fusible+Link+-+Universal/N0220/C0172.oap, will give you an idea what they look like, and what to get to replace it. You will know if it is blown because the insulation will be deformed and bubbled if no broken.