Thermoquad Carter Rebuild

Started by LJ-TJ, October 20, 2016, 07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Exhausted from trying to figure out how to fix the Winnebago I decided to take a mental health day. Well it almost worked. Ended up spending hours on a U Youtube that showed me how to rebuild a Carter Thermoquad carb. Don't know what Dave or Rick will think but I found a lot of good infor there to the point I may even try to rebuild the carb myself. Hm?

RockysRoadshow

DaveVA78Chieftain

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

A carburetor is a carburetor, they all work on the same principal and as long as you take your time and pay attention to detail and keep things clean you will be fine. Lay out the parts in an organized manner in generally the order that they came out so that as things go together if you find a part all by itself you will know you may have forgotten something. As long as you have a blow up picture you will see what goes where.

Surfinhurf

Digital cameras/phones best useage is to take lots of pictures of the disassembly of whatever you are disassembling to look back at to assemble.  Go for it.

HURF

LJ-TJ

All great suggestion lads. Appreciate it. Taking a few mental heath days as this stuff is sucking my brain what little there is dry. Here's the link to the spot I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moRAefFzX2Q

legomybago

Order a set of brass floats for it if it has the plastic ones.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

CapnDirk

X2 on the brass floats.  The only thing worth a damn in transportation any more is a 67 Chevelle!   :)clap

Metal man... Metal.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

turbinebronze

Check the throttle shaft for excessive wear. They are known for vacuum leaks at the throttle shaft making it hard to get a good idle.
  Just my 2 cents, Craig

LJ-TJ

OK! Just back from the carb shop. It looks like the problem is one of the brass floats was full of gas. The second thing was the two caps for the main well had the epoxy that held them in place let go and was a lowing gas to seep through. I'll get the carb back Thursday and let you know what happens when I bolt it on. Hm?

legomybago

Oh boy, All kinds of gas going on there W% You should smell your engine oil, if it has any hint of gasoline, change it before you run it again.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp May just do that tomorrow. I usually change oil and filter every 2,000 miles. I figure you can pay me now or pay me later. Later is usually a hole lot more expensive.

Rickf1985

Change it now, I guarantee that it will have gas in it. I will also guarantee you gas mileage is going to get a whole lot better! You had the double whammy! The float probably just happened but the epoxy has been leaking for quite a while I will bet.

LJ-TJ

Well the good thing is you guys pretty much nailed it when I ask. Now we have something sold to work off in the furture. Great thing is Al let me look over his shoulder as he took it apart and explained a lot of stuff including showing me the bum float and the tabs. Not to many guys will let you do that. Buy the way did I say thanks to you guys. THANKS

Rickf1985

So, We have something "sold to work off in the furture." huh? And you fly  arplaines tooo. :D :)rotflmao   TJ, You really need to stop PUI. (posting under the influence) :)rotflmao

LJ-TJ

Ok so got my carb back to day. Al replaced the floats, epoxied the cups and said the heck with it and put in a new accelerator pump. I popped it on this aft and she fired right up. Idles perfectly at 600 rpm. If anyone is in Southwestern Ontario Canada and has there back up against it get a hold of Al Moffat in Jarvis Ontario (519) 587-3371. Al specialities in carbs and does a great job on Thermoquads. I can't say enough good things about him.

legomybago

Alright tj! Back to burnin fuel.......instead of leaking it :)ThmbUp