fuel problem

Started by DON, October 09, 2016, 02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DON

Am having fuel issues.  I have 76 winnabago chieftain with 440-3 engine.  Have to prime carb to get engine to fire.  Have put new fuel pump, rebuilt carb.  Once carb is primed, no problem.  Pump does not seem to get fuel to carb.  Any suggestions as to what to check.  Next step is to look at lines from gas tanks to see if sucking air.  Rv sits for a while because it is at lake a couple of hours away.  Gas evaporates in carb, I guess.  If I drove daily or even weekly, probably no issues.  If I can't get up more often, have to spray starter fluid to crank.  It is the 4 barrel thermoquad.  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Rickf1985

Pump could be getting weak but you need to do a fuel pressure check to be sure. Also if you splice in a short piece of clear butyl tubing right before the carburetor you will see if it is pulling air from somewhere. Do not leave the tubing in there for too long as it does not stand up to gasoline for more than a week or so.

DON

Fuel pump is new.  I know it could be bad, but probably ok.  Will chk lines from gas tanks to front.  May be issue.  Thks.