No fuel to carburetor

Started by lonnoid, September 27, 2016, 09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonnoid

I am on to the next problem. FUEL. I have a one gallon can of gas feeding the mechanical fuel pump, to get it started and run long enough just to move it to a different spot. Long story short, I don't seem to be getting gas into the carb. I removed the filter screen in the carb, it wasn't plugged, look pretty good actually, blew it out. Is it possible that the float valve is stuck shut after sitting for 10 years? The carb is a very new looking Holley. My buddy says the power valve is not functioning, i.e. the lever does not move. Any thoughts?
Oh, btw, if I pour a little gas in the carb, it fires right up and runs for a few seconds.

CapnDirk

If it sat that long without fresh fuel and being started occasionally. the fuel turned to molasses.  Thanks to our elected officials, the ethenol does that.  I had a car that sat for 3 years, and had to replace the fuel pump (late model Taurus) AND the tank.  When I pulled the tank and then the fuel pump out of it, I could scrape honey off the bottom of the tank with a screw driver.

I forget the name of the company (makes gas tank sealer and rust neutralizer to) but I would at least get something in the tank of that nature and flush it out.  This is not something that could be stopped with a fuel filter.  If you put a new carb on it, it would likely do it in.

In your situation, work from the tank forward if it has been sitting that long.  Had to on mine.  Then the fuel pump (cheap to do relatively speaking).  Once again, sitting that long I would not trust the diaphragm in the pump.  Cheap insurance.  Then see if it starts.  It's POSSIBLE that the gas in the carb evaporated before turning to sludge.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

lonnoid

thank you, and I know you are right. I emptied the 13 or so gallons of old gas from the tank, and it was horrible. And you could smell it from a block away! Smells like paint thinner or something, not gas! Looks like I will be dropping the tank. I am thinking of going with an electric fuel pump, a Carter P4070 which I have read about from this site.

Lonnie

CapnDirk

You may not have to drop the tank (if you want to, then by all means do.  You could inspect the tank from the sending unit hole) you could put some of that gas neutralizer in it and let it do its thing and drain it out.  If you do drop the tank, replace your hoses.  Again, cheap insurance.  I blew two in 24 hours, and bit the bullet replacing everything from the tank forward.

If you go electric, you may want to eliminate the mechanical pump.  If it has a problem, it could restrict the flow to the carb from the electric.  You want no more than 7 psi at the carb so it would need to be adjustable by something.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

CoastalWinnebago

I would suggest inspecting your fuel filter as well.  This is a common issue with these old rigs.  Its a $1 fix, but can leave you stranded.

Do you  know if the tank was "full" when the gas was left in it for 3 years?

Is your tank steel?

If the tank was empty, and made of steel, you may also have rust inside your tank.  When you drained the fuel did you see any metal particles?  If so you will need to address that issue first or you will continue to clog your fuel filter and carburetor. 

Rickf1985

Even if the tank was full or had a lot of gas in it condensation will add a substantial amount of water to the tank and can actually rot out the bottom of the tank underneath the layer of gasoline.

lonnoid

I dropped the tank. Took out the sending unit, it was completely "petrified". There is a layer of thick scum in the bottom of the tank. I am now working on how to clean out the tank. I took off the mechanical fuel pump, and plated off the block. Put on a Holley electric fuel pump, attached to a one gallon can wired onto the front bumper. Took off the carb, cleaned out the float bowl, needle valve, and douched it out in general with carb cleaner. I was able to start and run the engine at this point, enough to move it a short way to a better location. So, now its cleaning and remounting the gas tank....

CapnDirk

There's a post on here somewhere about a companies products to clean/de-rust a tank and re-seal it.