2nd battery charging?

Started by mattyj858, September 23, 2016, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

I have two sets of battery cables and have been disconnecting my secondary/ coach battery when not in use. I have looked around and have not found a "pergo" battery switch, is there a stock battery switch on a 73 Brave 20?
Is  the secondary/ coach battery wired to the alternator so it continually charges while driving? I believe everything is stock wiring.

Thanks
Matt

Oz

The original set up was very simple.  The battery isolator, mounted to the battery compartment wall, provided charge to both batteries.  I needed to replace mine and found the original, which was also used in military installations.  I assume you have the 4 pole isolator.  Take a look at this topic to compare the configuration:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,8465.msg76853.html#msg76853

If this is what you're talking about, they aren't hard to find.

This topic goes more in-depth and may be helpful to you:
http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,7076.msg31027.html#msg31027
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

mattyj858

Thanks. On my 73, the batteries are accessed via outsides battery door. My two sets of battery cables ar only visible inside the battery hold and I can't really trace where they are going after that. I think what I'll do is get my volt meter and measure the coach battery before and after the RV is running. If the meter rises while running, that sound tell me it's feeding off the alternator right?

Rickf1985

Yes, take a reading before starting the engine and then start the engine and take another reading. If it is higher and probably rising then the battery is being charged by the engine. It is possible that the coach battery may not start charging until the chassis battery has reached full charge so it may be a bit before the coach battery starts charging. So if it does not read a charge right away just let it run for 10-15 minutes and see if it starts after that, if not then it probably does not charge automatically. There is going to be a switch or the isolator is not working.