37 ft. Windcruiser jacking/levelling points?

Started by 87Itasca, September 21, 2016, 08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

87Itasca

Hi all,

Does anyone know where I should be lifting each corner of this unit to level it when at a campsite?

I never paid any attention to it before, but now that I have the fridge working, I need it to be relatively level.

I jacked up the left front corner on the control arm one time, and couldn't really get the cab door open/closed without a good deal of effort. So, I opted not to use it anymore that trip.

Next outing, I jacked it up a couple inches at the rear to level it, and I now have a big crack by the lower side door hinge, and a small crack by the rear bedroom window, all in the fiberglass skin. The crack by the door has nearly gone away completely, save for the outline, once I lowered it.

How am I supposed to level this thing without it disintegrating on me?

No easy fixes for the damage that is already done, going to put clear GeoCell ProFlex caulk on the areas, which will prevent water entry. Luckily they aren't noticeable except to me.

Rickf1985

Drive up on blocks of wood but try to keep things level as far as the frame of the vehicle goes. If the right rear has to come up quite a bit do not just try to do it all with the right rear tire unless it is in an obvious hole. If it is on a side slope you want to raise the right rear tire say 2 inches and the right front 1 inch. The idea is to not twist the frame. Under no circumstances do you ever try to lift it at the ends of the frame! You found out what happens there. Especially in the back with the huge overhang you have. I am assuming you do not have leveling jacks or air suspension?

legomybago

Doesn't that rig have a leveling jack system? Being a 37' I'd think it was weird if it didn't...Most of the higher line monsters did i?? If not, like Rick said.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

87Itasca

It had (as an option) an automatic leveling system. Unfortunately, like the 'Power Mirror' option, the original owner decided to forgo it.

I guess the air suspension is designed to keep it at a preset height while it is functional, but it currently is not operational. When I first got it, it would hold air for a couple days. Now, it leaks out as fast as I put it in (and we're talking a commercial automotive shop with dual air compressors here). It doesn't even air up at all.

The front air bags work fine, I replaced those in January. My concern is that any sag that has occurred in the front end (which has definitely happened over 30 years of sitting) will cause the rig to tilt forward all the time, because the rear air ride is only designed to keep it X distance from the ground, vs. keeping it level front to rear.

I can't order new air springs, because I can't get under the daggone thing to remove them to get the part number off them.  The springs are 13 years old, but only have about 6,000 miles on them.

Rickf1985

87Itasca

Yes, I believe that's what it is called. It's the Superide 800 system, IIRC.

Rickf1985

Super ride is a different system/company. I had replaced the bags on my Jet Ride system so I have that number but yours will be different. Do a search because someone on here had a long thread going on their Super ride setup.

Rickf1985

87Itasca

We've come full circle, haha!

I had gotten that bar in the correct position, and it had indeed worked pretty well for a little while, but it's shot now.

Going to have to get under there first; then we'all go from there. Appreciate the advice on the blocks.

Rickf1985

I didn't even realize it was your original post! D:oH! D:oH! D:oH! I'll tell you what I would do, I would call the company. I have found that you get some amazing customer support from these companies usually. Give them all of the info right back to the problem with the axle leaning and I am sure they can set you up. They have been around for a long time and I am sure they have seen these problems before. It is much better to deal with the people that know for sure than to try to go through us who do our best to work it through. If they can't, or won't help.............. Then we will figure it out.

I mentioned way back in the beginning that those bags can't take angles like that so if it is the bags that failed you need to get the rest of it fixed before putting new (expensive) bags on and doing it again.