starting system 71 dodge 413 chassis

Started by lonnoid, September 16, 2016, 12:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonnoid

i??   I inherited what I think is a very rare motorhome, its a 1971 Landau with a Dodge 413 chassis. It has been sitting for 10 years, but it ran great before. So, long story short, I need a diagram for the electrical starting circuit, or someone to explain to me how it works, etc. I have a mysterious electrical problem all of a sudden. Won't turn over. It turned over great before, then all of a sudden, no worky.

help!

thanks

lonnoid

Froggy1936

Hm? Update your membership to full member (best investment you can make)  Then you will have access to all wireing diagrams , Where you will find the correct way to diagnoise your problem  ;) Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Take all of the high amperage cables off and clean them and the connections and put them back. That is the battery connections, the starter connections and the main ground connections. I will bet your problems lies in one of them.

Oz

Rick's advice will take time, but it's oh so true, the vast majority of electrical issues are caused by corroded contacts.  It's like the basic, first step in troubleshooting these old rigs if they've been left to the elements for years.  You don't want to start replacing components to find out later it was a bad ground, contact, or wire.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

lonnoid

thank you Rick and Oz, you were right. Turned out to be a bad ground to the starter relay switch.