Suburban Furnace removal question

Started by EldoradoBill, September 06, 2016, 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EldoradoBill

I need to pull the furnace to do some troubleshooting and was wondering if it's necessary to remove the "chimney" from the sidewall to get it out, or does the furnace just slip out over it? model NT34SP Thanks

Rickf1985

I was waiting for anyone else to answer but I can tell you that on my slide in which has the same basic setup it is "supposed" to just pull out of the chimney. I can also tell you in real life that does not happen because the outer chimney has rusted to the inner part and no amount of shaking or cussing would get them apart.  I do not have a solution since I never got that heater out yet, that is why I did not post before. Just what I know from experience.

sasktrini

This has been sitting for a while... I'll throw in my two cents and say it will go smooth if you remove the outlet from the exterior wall before removing the furnace from inside.  They don't always line up when you try replacing the furnace with the air duct still attached to the wall.
Corey aka sasktrini

EldoradoBill

Thanks for the tip-I'm hoping to get to it this weekend (you know how life sometimes gets in the way of the best-laid plans)

Bill

EldoradoBill

I discovered all that is necessary to be removed is the center screw (good luck mine was rusted to the point that it literally fell apart) two screws inside the cover, vents attach with a rotating bayonet-type fit, the whole thing was out and on the ground in under ten minutes. I had to replace the control board with a new style board which required the $10 harness adapter. Nowhere in the instructions does it tell you the new board uses the igniter wire as a flame sense, replacing the original 2 wire system. Took me longer to realize this aspect than it did to replace the board and blow out the dust! Install was simple, took a few trips outside to verify alignment of the chimney before pushing the furnace in snug. now I have heat on demand.

Bill

TerryH

And may your life be warm and toasty. :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp :)ThmbUp
Something else to consider is upgrading to one of the simpler models of digital thermostats. Many here and elsewhere have and find them far superior. No 'slide and guess' involved. Set the temp at ie 64deg., it cuts in at 62 and out at 66. Very visible, easy to set, current temp at a glance.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

Oz

As an afterthought, your membership gives you access to our member area manuals.  The manual for this furnace is in there and includes installation, so that would give you the way to take it out in reverse.

;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

I am going to have to look at that, it sort of sounds like what I was up against with my slide in. I wonder if I am missing that screw you found?

joanfenn

You are wondering if you are missing a screw?? :)rotflmao

CapnDirk

Speaking for myself only, it may just be loose    W%
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"