Dodge 4x4 RV! Sportsman Brougham?

Started by Brougham78, September 01, 2016, 01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brougham78

Hey All! I have been a long time lurker of this forum and I think its one of the best resources for Dodge based motorhomes I have found.

I am picking up my first motorhome this weekend!

It is a 1980 Dodge Brougham 4x4. I have not been able to dig up much info on Broughams specifically but I am assuming its in the m400 family.
It is 21ft long, has the 440-3, Recently rebuilt Trans.
I am not sure if the 4x4 is a factory or conversion. Has locking front hubs. I will see what the front axle is as I forgot to look.
PO has put quite a bit of time and money on drive train and was starting on the interior when he got busy and left it in the barn for 2 years.
-new tires, exhaust, radiator, hoses were all visibly new.

PO drove it from CO 4 years and it has been barn kept since. It is a metal frame with fiberglass body that shows some cracks and crazing that will need to be fixed.
I will be driving it from OK back down to Austin TX so we will see how she does on the highway. I had the owner take it to a shop to give it a once over and make sure it is was highway ready.

Once I get it back I will post more pictures and details.
Has anyone got any experience with Broughams? or know if they had 4x4 stock?

Rickf1985

Well I don't know about the Brougham brand but it is a van based unit and Dodge never made a four wheel drive van. So it has to be a conversion. Being a dually the front differential should be a Dana 60. Depending on whether they used newer or older parts it could be a good or not so good setup. You say it had locking hubs so that should put it in the earlier version of the Dana 60 before the unit bearings and that is the much better setup.

Brougham78

Thanks Rick. I found a stamp inside the door well that has a company out of Salt lake city did the conversion in 1990. Advanced Four Wheel Drive Systems.
I called them up to see if I can get part #'s to refresh the front suspension.
It has a mean death wobble at 20mph if you hit a pot hole or rough road but is fine going faster than that. The steering system has some slop in it so Im wondering if it could be that, or a steering stabilizer? With it being that old I think the Leaf springs up front could have a worn bushing as well. I have not worked on an old school solid axle suspension like this so I am not sure where to start looking at things like king pins, ball joints etc...

Lastly I dont know what model chassis this is as it does not work with any dodge VIN decoder I have found (F44CD9V737304) So I dont know if its M300, MB400 M500 etc. Its 22ft if  that makes any difference and has 8 lug pattern. 

Oz

Please ask (and answer) technical problems on the corresponding technical board.

:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Oz

Quote from: Brougham78 on September 06, 2016, 12:21 PM
Lastly I dont know what model chassis this is as it does not work with any dodge VIN decoder I have found (F44CD9V737304) So I dont know if its M300, MB400 M500 etc. Its 22ft if  that makes any difference and has 8 lug pattern. 

I guess you haven't found our Dodge VIN decoder, located on the right sidbar block on the Dodge Chassis Board

F44CD9V737304

First 2 digits - Model code: F4 = MB400

3rd digit - Body style: 4 = Conventional Cab with Sweptline box; Compact Hi Line Wagon(Royal Sportsman),MB3 High-Line

4th digit - Gross vehicle weight: C = 10,001 lbs to 14,000 lbs

5th digit - Engine code: D = 440-1
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca