1978 minnie winnie roof replacement questions

Started by Jczielinski, August 24, 2016, 03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jczielinski

hello!

We're in the process of gutting and rebuilding a '78 minnie winnie.
The roof had some water damage, and is being completely replaced.
Before we start ripping things out and making things work... does anyone have any diagrams or photos of what the roof looks like, layer by layer?
We've already removed/replaced some of the 2x4s and 1x4s that hold the roof onto the walls, but I'm getting worried that the new roof won't hold weight appropriately.
I mean, there has to be some kind of supports across... right?!

My understanding is that the exterior aluminum sits on 3/4 plywood, foam, and luan. But again... there has to be some kind of support beams or... something..

any help/advice would be great!!!
much thanks!!!

FrankenHome

I think I saw a picture on this site some where that shows a cross section of the roof on a similar Winnie. If I remember correctly there's not much in the roof. It has a then layer of insulation and that's about it. If I find the pic i'll repost it. Your best bet is to take plenty of pictures before and during the deconstruction so you can go back together correctly. Good luck!

Rickf1985

There are also some very good pictures of how to replace the roof with a proper roof on here somewhere. Use the search ar in the upper right. Takes some doing but you will find it.

Ok, waiting for dinner I searched for you and here you go.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,299.msg299.html#msg299

Jczielinski

Oz

Actually, it takes very little to find this topic.  Don't even need to use the search. 
Coach interior/Exterior Board - >
FAQs (I think this is THE most asked question of all) ->
Roof

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Nhageman812

Take a look into my project thread! Ask me anything you need to know. I'll be taking a LOT of pictures as I advance. I'm already rebuilding the roof currently. To be honest there is almost no support for these roofs. They get there strength from being glued together. The framing is 1x4's on the outer edge and 1/8 luan on the bottom, some sort of 1/8" fiber board on top, then aluminum skin. And of course the 3/4" insulation in between. There is a reason why these roofs sag ALL OF THE TIME where the ac unit is mounted. Due to little support. Anyway. Let me know of any questions you have.

Jczielinski

nhageman812
are you not using 1/2 inch ply or luan?
after almost 7 (%$$$*!!^&) weeks, i received my roof! its a little cool here in columbus ohio... so now we have that to contend with as well.

my thought was roof, 1/2" ply or luan, 1/2" foam insulation, 1/4" luan. serious weight to be added with the thickness of the 1/2.

i do like your idea!!

Oz

Moved this to coach interior/exterior since it's asking how to rather than showing how it's done.

Before posting further "projects", please read the board description, and the message posting rules as well.  They are brief but important to our forum - in particular: topic titles.

I changed all the post headings to reflect the nature of your topic - you're welcome. :) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

kerryb

While I'm new to 'bagos, the roof structure seems to get it's strength from the composite nature of the structure.  IF the layers are bonded together, then the strength comes from the lower layer not being able to stretch in order for the roof to sag.  If you get the layers glued back together between them you will be surprised at how strong it is without the weight of 1/2" plywood.  Modern homebuilt aircraft are a composite of fiberglass cloth, epoxy, and polystyrene foam only!  ...the trick is keeping pressure on the layers while the glue cures.

Jczielinski

this is what i've been learning!!!
the roof still isn't completely done, blaming that on too many 12 hr shifts (work).

however, 1/4 luaun + 3/4 insulation + 1/8 luaun = the roof.
at first Ethan and i were heartbroken that this didn't seem to hold appropriately. however, the next day, viola! it doesnt look half bad.  (you'd think we had some kind of clue what we're doing).

i appreciate everyone's insight thus far!!!

classicrockfanatic

Id be interested to see your process photos. I have a 72' Indian, that will be due for roof work soon. There are some useful threads already on this site, but Im always happy to see pictures.

I already started on the nose, It seemed a little sketch to drill my dash board into nothing but foam, so I decided to take the time and fix it now.

As I go, I imagine Ill be chasing rot all the way thru the walls and roof

Froggy1936

Now that is the way to do rebuilding repairs If you do everything your way you know its right !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Jczielinski

hi all!

so we finally received our roof! still havent installed it due to ohio weather and my work schedule. (I work 3 12 hour shifts a week, and ethan is only free on the weekends). got the roof from RV parts nation... and it took 7 weeks to ship. (not adding any additional 4-letter words to describe how i feel about it).

i will definitely post photos as we go.

while the weather has been cold and rainy at times, the gameplan was to get all the foam/luaun pieces placed together to throw up as we worked.
we measured the span at 91 (and a half?) inches wide. after those 1/8" pieces were cut, we adhered the 3/4 poly and let all of it sit for a few days, under pressure of each other (stacked) with more pressure added with a few pieces of 1/2 luaun. (ill be using the 1/2 luaun for cabinets and other structures). not lying that the thing is gutted. ive built some furniture already, cabinets and such, for dual purpose needs. after a couple days of sitting, i cut out the areas for the 1x4s (cut at an angle) to slide into (im hoping to make them staggered for increased durability). then the 1/4 inch luaun was applied to the top. (i am seriously hoping my minds' eye isnt gonna let me down!)

my next question... that part of the sleeping area, above the drivers cab... the exterior that sits on/over the front. what kind of materials are people using the replace it? the inside sleeping area needs to have a 'platform' and i can do that no problem. however the exterior is what concerns me. im guessing it needs to be fiberglass/filon?

any suggestions?

classicrockfanatic

I'm not sure what the best way is for replacing interior/exterior paneling. I seem to know a hard way to do it though. If your aluminum skin has leaked thru to rot the wood, you may need to tear into it, but if it seems sturdy, you could probably frame up some support in the wall behind the paneling, without removing the exterior aluminum. I've added a pic, of what you might find in yours, I have some similar plans in mind for mine.

While I've torn my face into shreds because bad rot, for the small holes I've located, I plan to bond fiberglass to the exterior,  then sand to shape. Just like fixing a surfboard  :D

Rickf1985

I plan to bond fiberglass to the exterior,  then sand to shape. Just like fixing a surfboard  :D

You have GOT to be from California! W%

classicrockfanatic

Rickf1985

I visited that country a couple times, nice place to visit, wouldn't want to live there! :)rotflmao

classicrockfanatic

The place is great, its the people that will drive you crazy.

legomybago

Quote from: classicrockfanatic on November 22, 2016, 01:53 PM
The place is great, its the people that will drive you crazy.
I CONCUR!!!!!! I love CA.....Except for the Gov regulations, Cost of living, and the fact you have to get a "permit" to have a campfire.....Other than that important stuff, I love CA $@!#@!
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Jczielinski

not to distract from the conversation... heh...

im guessing i need a ~5'x8' sheet of fiberglass (assuming thats the best option). any thoughts on where to find such a thing?

Rickf1985

Do a search for "Filon". That is what they use in the RV industry. With your woodworking skills I would build it from wood and put a rubber roof on it.

Jczielinski

one of my hobbies... i made this table with 100+yr old oak flooring.

i was hoping that i could stay away from rv parts nation, as they took incredibly too long to ship the roof...
but thanks so much for the info!

Rickf1985

Ok, I am confused?" im guessing i need a ~5'x8' sheet of fiberglass"  I was thinking you were the original poster but didn't you already get your roofing material? Are you needing the fiberglass for something else? You can get Filon from many sources and I am sure most of them ship fairly quickly. It is pricey though which is why I suggested the alternative which is apparently the route you took?

yellowrecve

You can use Aluminium or what I know as FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic) which may be Filon? Glue it to the underside of the bed (platform), then slide it on top of the cab and secure. Use a good caulking on the cab.
RV repairman and builder of custom luxury motor homes, retired, well, almost, after 48 years.

Jczielinski

thanks!!!

and for clarification, this is what i was talking about that (also) needs to be replaced.