Complete tow package for a toad.

Started by FrankenHome, August 24, 2016, 02:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankenHome

Hello All,
Now that I have some real RVing under my belt, I'm ready to step up and run with the big boys. So far I've traveled cross country coach only. With a 32 footer it's reasonably easy to get around but not convenient to run into town after you've set up at the campground. My wife just happens to have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that will make for a perfect toad.

So this week I'll order a Roadmaster Invisible Brake system, a Blue Ox tow bar base plate for the Jeep, a wiring kit and a Blue Ox tow bar. Once it everything arrives I'll share the complete installation with you.

Question, has anyone had any issues with a similar setup pulled behind a 96 Winnie on a Ford F53 460 chassis?

Thanks.

John

Rickf1985

I went up to the Chassis section and looked in the Ford section just to see how many people we have that ask Ford questions. You are in a lonely group it appears. :D :D Most of the older Class A's at least were Dodge and then GM based with the odd Ford and John Deere thrown in. Now that we are starting to see newer units from the 90's we will probably start to see more Fords. See that, you are the leader of the pack. :)ThmbUp

You should not have any trouble pulling the Jeep, the 460 Ford was just as powerful as the 454 Chevy and we have no problems towing things that we probably shouldn't. W%

Transmission........... If you have the E4OD which it probably does if it has overdrive then save money ahead for a rebuild. They do not tend to handle heavy loads for too long in stock form. Once rebuilt by a knowledgeable rebuilder with common upgrades they are indestructible.

FrankenHome

Rick,

Once again thanks for your helpful words of wisdom. The 460 pulls like a mule so no worries there but I'll take your advice and start a slush fund for the transmission just in case. I'll put the transmission slush fund right next to my "What else could go wrong?" slush fund!

John

Rickf1985

The transmission can just go in that fund. As long as it was not beat on with jack rabbit starts then it will probably live long and .................. well you get the idea. Problem is, you have no idea what kind of life it had before you. I would check the fluid to be sure it is red and not burnt, that would be a good indicator. And while I am thinking of it, you know how Ford pickup's are famous for brake lines rotting through? Yea, check yours just to be on the safe side. The absolute last thing you ever want is to lose the front brakes!