Stripped Aluminum Winnebago

Started by Wilhelm7, August 23, 2016, 12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilhelm7

I saw this (I think) on the Facebook "Bus Conversions" group or something like that. Would anyone have an opinion on the best way to approach stripping the paint off without gnarling up the metal? Thanks.

Schmitti

Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

legomybago

Maybe you could use some kind of highly flammable liquid paint stripper Hm? I've also seen that rig around the web....It's totally awesome.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Rickf1985

Soda blasting, but to get the finish he has there you are looking at hours upon hours of sanding with progressively finer paper down to 1800 or 2000 grit and then come the compounding and polishing and finally the clearcoat. Hope you got deep pockets or lots of time and a good back!

CoastalWinnebago

Most common strippers will not remove the existing paint that has very high adhesion to aluminum.  I have repainted my Brave, and as prep I extensively sanded the exterior with a random orbital sander. Even with an 80 grit sand paper its hard to get through the existing paint.  I rough sanded (80) then finish sanded before paint with 120. 

If you had a high rpm low grit you might get through the paint, but there is a high chance you would start to eat away the aluminum. It is not vey thick.

AutoCruZin

Another option would be a vinyl wrap. Here is a bus we wrapped in red.
https://flic.kr/p/LVWi5r

CapnDirk

Aircraft stripper.  They cant use any abrasive as the aluminum has a plating called alclad for corrosion resistance.  It's not common to paint over the paint on a plane (changes the weight).  So the aircraft industry has put a lot of effort into removing paint gently.  You might Google removing paint from aircraft.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

kerryb

Yup, aircraft stripper will get the paint, not scratch the metal, and be very effective at draining your wallet!  And then, as Rick says, you get to spend a boatload of time and effort with the buffing and polishing.  I polish aluminum parts for my motorcycle projects and sometimes I question my sanity for starting it instead of  just a repaint.