Fresh water is cloudy?

Started by mattyj858, August 15, 2016, 10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattyj858

Hi, heading out on a camping trip today and filled the fresh water tank to check th system. I added a small amount of chlorine since the tank has been unused for a year +. The water out of the sink is a gray & cloudy, and no real odor. I have drained it twice but still cloudy. Any suggestions? We don't plan on drinking out of the tap but will be cleaning dishes with it. Concerned its sediment rather than just fine bubbles.

I don't believe the old Winnes used a water filter? If so where is it?

lemortede

Is it cloudy due to air. If you let it sit in a cup for 10 minutes does it clear up.

mattyj858

I am going to check again but I let it sit for about 5 mins and still cloudy

legomybago

Hot water heaters produce a white oxidation after years of use, maybe it's getting stirred up?? This would only be on the hot water line though.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

mattyj858

I now tested the water twice, letting the water sit in a clear glass for 20 mins. There's definitely small air bubbles still in the water, but there still is a gray color. Any ideas?

The water heater has not been turned on, it's cold water running through the sink

lemortede

If you hook it up to pressure bypassing the tank and the pump is it still cloudy?
Have you visually inspected the tank and the fill line? I know that mine were disgusting after sitting for 10 years.
Had to replace the fill hose.

mattyj858

I haven't tried blowing air through, not really sur how to attack that.

I replaced the drain line, that was gross, lots of mildue. I am going to flush it one more time before we leave

lemortede

I am talking about just hooking up a hose to the hose connect and bypassing the tank.

legomybago

Using the "City" water connection.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

lemortede

mattyj858

No I didn't but will now and let you know

BrianB

The idea (if it isn't obvious to you, but it may be) is to determine if this is due to the fresh water tank or the rest of the piping. If the water is clear when hose is connected to city water then the issue is with the fresh water tank. If it isn't, then the problem could be with the piping.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

Rickf1985

You are working with a 43 year old tank, it may be decomposing inside due to hard water or acids attacking the galvanizing. It is possible that someone put a lot of chlorine in there at one time and never drained it and it damaged the tank.

TerryH

Quote from: BrianB on August 15, 2016, 06:15 PM
The idea (if it isn't obvious to you, but it may be) is to determine if this is due to the fresh water tank or the rest of the piping. If the water is clear when hose is connected to city water then the issue is with the fresh water tank. If it isn't, then the problem could be with the piping.

This goes towards numerous suggestions for numerous problems. Follow the troubleshooting tree.
You have cloudy water: first check the source of the water.
If not cloudy, fill your tank but do not power up the pump. Drain some water from the tank drain into a glass and check that. If not cloudy, the problem is likely not your tank. If it is, your tank and possibly all of your lines are compromised.
If it is not cloudy, connect your line to the 'city' water' turn on the first tap in line and check your water. Cloudy, you have a problem in the line. Not cloudy, check each tap downstream until you encounter a problem. This will help to isolate it.
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

mattyj858

Thanks guys. I hooked up the city and it was cloudy for the first couple of seconds then clear. I also drained my tank and it is clear. It must be in th lines, how difficult is it to replace th water lines? Seems like quite a chore?

BrianB

I would try just running water through it for a god long time and see if you can flush it out clear. If it clears up then that I way easier and cheaper than replacing all the lines.
Check out my RV trip planning & prep: http://alaska.boorman.us/

The movie Twister - that research instrument? Yeah, she figured it out.

mattyj858

Yes I have been doing that and flushed the tank a couple times. Seems like the cloudiness lessens after I run it for a while. I am going to fill the tank 1/2 way again and connect a hose to ththe kitchen sink and drain again via the sink rather than the drain valve.
I saw Walmart and Camping world has water treatment additives, do you think this might help or make it worse? I have added a small amount of bleach twice, and drained since.

Rickf1985

Water treatment additives will do no more than the bleach so don't waste your money. You can fill and drain the tank several times and see if that helps, if it does then just keep draining and filling but plan on getting a new tank.

mattyj858

Ouch... Thanks for the info.

Rickf1985

Matty, I don't know where you are located but check out this post by Terry.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,13170.0.html

mattyj858

Thanks, but I am in San Diego Ca... I am just going to keep filling and flushing or replace the water tank if need be. We never drink out of our water tanks in past trailers but want fairly clean water for washing dishes